Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The entire day has been conducted immaculately. We really do excel at these kinds of events and occasions, and all those involved should be very proud.

One minor query I have, which is presumably a protocol/tradition of which I'm not aware - when entering both the Abbey and the Chapel, all of the men remove their hats but the the women don't. Why is that?

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
The entire day has been conducted immaculately. We really do excel at these kinds of events and occasions, and all those involved should be very proud.

One minor query I have, which is presumably a protocol/tradition of which I'm not aware - when entering both the Abbey and the Chapel, all of the men remove their hats but the the women don't. Why is that?

The idea is that a woman's hair is a sexual attribute and therefore “bad” (because sex is bad) and must be hidden on pious or sacred occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I think it's age old tradition. A lady's hat was part of her outfit a man's wasn't. It used to be considered wrong for a lady to remove her covering and display her hair. The tradition still holds in some cultures as we know.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Presume You are not a Churchgoer? A long established C of E Custom - for further Guidance watch 4 Weddings and a Funeral... :wink:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Bearer party :bowdown:

This with bells on! With the eyes of the world on you a great job under immense pressure. They can be very proud.

Whatever you feel about the monarchy we do pomp and ceremony superbly. Except of course the clergyman at the abbey who fiddled with his glasses and dropped part of his order of service! Sacked in morning:blush:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My heart stops every time those 8 lads have to pick up and move the coffin.

And it must have been pretty heavy. An oak coffin and lead lined. Respect!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This with bells on! With the eyes of the world on you a great job under immense pressure. They can be very proud.

Whatever you feel about the monarchy we do pomp and ceremony superbly. Except of course the clergyman at the abbey who fiddled with his glasses and dropped part of his order of service! Sacked in morning:blush:

Shopping list ?

[tweet]1571805394946895872[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Talking of steps, are those Crown Jewels secured by sticky tape?

There were spikes screwed into the coffin. If you looked carefully, someone was unscrewing them in St George’s chapel so they could be removed and placed on the altar. The Crown was wedged into the cushion where an indentation was made.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Put it this way, since the Queen passed away, the whole process from start to finish, has been one big military operation, which from an inside perspective is fantastic to be a part of.

The thing that struck me, was the troops carrying reversed arms. It’s easy to march when you can swing your arms, but having to march with one arm behind your back to hold the rifle butt, must be difficult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here