Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
do thay have to change all the coins and bank notes?

Probably not. as a kid I had small coins from 3 or 4 kings and queens, still have a couple of Queen Victoria embossed penny's. New coinage will be minted with King Charles on it but there won't be a wholesale withdrawal unless a coin or note drops out of circulation.... an additional point is that we might only have King Charles for a few years, he's 73, would be a waste of money (literally) to withdraw and replace coinage and notes 3 times in say ten years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think the BBC has misjudged the mood of the nation on this one a teensy wee bit. Very little evidence of wailing or gnashing of teeth on the bus or in the street

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Have to say I find the BBC have misjudged by quite a margin.

Most people I’ve spoken to are sad but not shocked and have made comment on her dedication to service etc.

Watching the BBC last night I felt like Nick witchell was telling me how I should be feeling. He used words like “cataclysmic event” in our lives. Followed by “viewers outlook on the world will be very different from this moment forth”. To me that’s quite dramatic. The only event that comes close to that in my lifetime would be 9/11.

This isn’t a dig at the queen but the overly dramatic way the media is doing this is putting me off.

At 97 it’s well worth celebrating her life but asking us to mourn in this way seems way over the top.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Probably not. as a kid I had small coins from 3 or 4 kings and queens, still have a couple of Queen Victoria embossed penny's. New coinage will be minted with King Charles on it but there won't be a wholesale withdrawal unless a coin or note drops out of circulation.... an additional point is that we might only have King Charles for a few years, he's 73, would be a waste of money (literally) to withdraw and replace coinage and notes 3 times in say ten years.

You still got those groats from your first wage packet ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Most people I’ve spoken to are sad but not shocked and have made comment on her dedication to service etc.

Watching the BBC last night I felt like Nick witchell was telling me how I should be feeling. He used words like “cataclysmic event” in our lives. Followed by “viewers outlook on the world will be very different from this moment forth”. To me that’s quite dramatic. The only event that comes close to that in my lifetime would be 9/11.

This isn’t a dig at the queen but the overly dramatic way the media is doing this is putting me off.

At 97 it’s well worth celebrating her life but asking us to mourn in this way seems way over the top.

Witchell is a professional Royal Watcher, he's spent about 30 years following and studying them, he's merely trying to pass his shock and awe on as its his life..Chuck hates him....

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
From the BBC: Charles will be officially proclaimed as King at a meeting of the Accession Council, attended by his son Prince William, on Saturday.

For the first time ever, the event will be shown on TV.

The council, due to take place from 10am, is also attended by invited Privy Councillors, serving government ministers, and could also include former ministers and prime ministers.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Witchell is always way over the top. Overall, I think their coverage has been pretty decent, varied and respectful. We were always going to get wall-to-wall coverage on all channels, I see that BBC2, Ch4 and 5 have reverted back to normal programming now.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Think the BBC has misjudged the mood of the nation on this one a teensy wee bit. Very little evidence of wailing or gnashing of teeth on the bus or in the street

The BBC is a nightmare. It seems to be on a mission to plunge the entire country into a deep depression.

Last night it was transmitting exactly the same on BBC1, BBC2 & BBC News and took BBC3 and BBC4 off air completely. They are supposed to be a public service broadcaster ffs. I might now support the removal of their Charter.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

The worst I heard was Clive Myrie (anchor) telling the Buck House correspondent that the PM's HoC statement on the energy crisis was "insignificant" following the news of HM's declining health (Her passing had not been announced at this stage).

https://twitter.com/i/status/1567922274355003392

On his £260K salary, I'm sure the energy crisis probably means SFA to him but for millions of people in this country the energy crisis is very real and very scary.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The BBC is a nightmare. It seems to be on a mission to plunge the entire country into a deep depression.

Last night it was transmitting exactly the same on BBC1, BBC2 & BBC News and took BBC3 and BBC4 off air completely. They are supposed to be a public service broadcaster ffs. I might now support the removal of their Charter.

This. They were exactly the same on Covid and more recently on Energy Bills. It's just complete overkill, like they've got more broadcasting hours than they know what to do with

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Escape to the Country is back on now on BBC2. Cheer up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Witchell is always way over the top. Overall, I think their coverage has been pretty decent, varied and respectful. We were always going to get wall-to-wall coverage on all channels, I see that BBC2, Ch4 and 5 have reverted back to normal programming now.

Hundreds of other channels are available. Nobody is telling you how to feel. Some people want to watch everything, others don’t.
To quote a well loved Children presenter, Why don’t you switch off the tv and do something less boring instead?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hundreds of other channels are available. Nobody is telling you how to feel. Some people want to watch everything, others don’t.
To quote a well loved Children presenter, Why don’t you switch off the tv and do something less boring instead?

Well, I tried watching Dads Army on UK Gold but that had a banner across the bottom of the screen telling me to switch to BBC News for an important announcement. :shrug:

And I'm sorry but IMO the BBC was telling people how to feel. We all had to be as depressed as Edwards and Witchell.

And the BBC is our primary public service broadcaster and should cater for all. Of course they had to cover this sad but important news but one channel really would have sufficed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

He added that people will be disorientated.

What a pillock that man is.

So I decided I'd raise a glass to the Queen so went to get a beer from the fridge, ended up in the bedroom, what gives?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

But I wanted to watch it and it definitely felt like they were telling me how I was feeling or how I should be feeling. All of that made me switch off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here