Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help: Moving To Brighton

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
What type flat did you get ? :bigwave:

dunno, haven't even seen the place but had someone go round and have a look at it for me...will be a bit of a surprise when I first walk in the door but I'm sure it will be just what I need...a roof and 4 walls!

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Congrats on finding an accommodation :thumbsup:

Is it your first time living down here, or are you a returning Brightonian?

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Will be my first time actually living in Brighton...

What are the best/cheapest supermarkets in central Brighton, where does everyone reccomend? Any tips/advice on living in the city would be greatly appreciated...move in just before the Stockport game, and should make it along to the match as well...what a cracking day that will be!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Best and cheapest are very different.

Best is probably Waitrose in Western Road; cheapest is certainly Asda on the Marina or in Hollingbury, but it's a depressing experience going there.

I like Aldi in London Road, which is pretty cheap but relatively high-quality - a bit limited in choice though. I complement the Aldi shop with trips to the market and I'm sorted. But everyone has his or her favourite.

Tips? Avoid West Street on a Saturday night. And don't eat at Donatello, even though they're regular sponsors of the Albion.

Welcome to the fold - where will you be living?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Pretty much agree with Gwylan on best and worst. Never been in Aldi so can't comment.

You've got to go to Uncle Sams. Avoid the eat as much as you can places in London Road and West Street. Pubs? Stick to East of West Street and below Church Street for livelier places (Hop Poles, Globe, Fish Bowl, Black Lion etc) north of Church Street go round by the new library (Eagle, Eagles Head, Basketmakers, Waggon and Horses, Heart in Hand etc etc) .

P.S. the new tapas restaurant across the road from the Office in Trafalgar Street is VERY good.

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
thanks for the advice, whats wrong with West St on a Saturday night in particular, is it the pubs and clubs? Will investiage Aldi...

Thanks Buzzer, Uncle Sams' is now on the list! I am moving in the day of the Stockport match, and yes I will be at the game as well! Exciting times...Will be living around Montpelier Rd and Montpelier Terrace...and sort of near Montpelier Street...not going to get me lost or confused at all!

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Good luk, and for f*** sakes don't come to the UK brimming with confidence, or else you'll look like a tourist. Will you be wearing a pink shirt at Stockport ?

Don't worry, I'm as depressed and fed up as the lot of you! I will be sporting the Wilkins-era Home Shirt with my name and number 10 on the back...happy hunting

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nice part of town to be living. Waitrose will be your nearest supermarket - although the Asian store Taj, right opposite is pretty good. If you like Lebanese food, there's a fantastic restaurant called Kambi's just a bit further along Western Rd, Very cheap but really nice (and you can bring your own booze too).

Buzzer offers good advice on the all-you-can-eat places, they're shocking.

West St is full of very modern pubs and bars, lots of them offering cheap booze deals and all of them containing very, very drunk young people, lots of them looking for a fight.

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
anyone think I'm still going to need Seagulls World/Player when I'm over in Brighton? I will be able to listen to the games through BBC Sussex right, rather than paying for the internet service? I don't mind missing out on the player interview etc if it will save me some money...do many of you Brightonians actually use it? thoughts?

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
anyone think I'm still going to need Seagulls World/Player when I'm over in Brighton? I will be able to listen to the games through BBC Sussex right, rather than paying for the internet service? I don't mind missing out on the player interview etc if it will save me some money...do many of you Brightonians actually use it? thoughts?

Nope, you don't need Seagulls World. As long as you have a radio tuned to Radio Sussex (95.3FM, 104.0 - 104.8FM) you can listen to the same commentary that gets broadcast through Seagulls World. Don't forget the time difference, so you can have a lay in. :wink:

Good luck with the move. :wave:

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Well the time is here, leaving for the Toronto airport in just a few hours, will be arriving in England 10AM Thursday morning your time...seeeeeeeeeeeeeagulls!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thanks for the advice, whats wrong with West St on a Saturday night in particular, is it the pubs and clubs? Will investiage Aldi...

Thanks Buzzer, Uncle Sams' is now on the list! I am moving in the day of the Stockport match, and yes I will be at the game as well! Exciting times...Will be living around Montpelier Rd and Montpelier Terrace...and sort of near Montpelier Street...not going to get me lost or confused at all!

Nice part of town. Some reasonable pubs round there: Hampton and Windmill. Also Bees Mouth on Western Road is close by and does Asahi which is the perfect antidote to a balmy evening. Waitrose is in your hood as well.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Make sure you tell the kids in your schools to come along to Withdean, and bring their dads!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here