Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Helicopter crash in London...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whilst it does sounds like a terrible accident and I very much expect that there is no foul play, people were saying that the first plane that hit the world trade centre in New York was accident at the time and closer to home the tube bombings were a power surge.

Holmes is just doing his job, nobodies knows what happened yet and in this crazy world you can't rule anything out these days.

I suppose - but there is nothing like a good bit of scaremongering by Sky News though is there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
oh, you wont have to wait that long. by lunch they'll have linked it to the Sandy Hook shootings, the Tube bombings and invasion of iraq.
I'm just hoping dingle dan didn't actually live at the top of the crane - it is afterall probably the only type of place he feels safe from the NWO.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I know the area quite well and two things are common up there. Helicopters and cranes.

Tragic accident. Reports saying cars may be involved. Like most roads it would have rammed.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Whilst it does sounds like a terrible accident and I very much expect that there is no foul play, people were saying that the first plane that hit the world trade centre in New York was accident at the time and closer to home the tube bombings were a power surge.

Holmes is just doing his job, nobodies knows what happened yet and in this crazy world you can't rule anything out these days.

His job is to report what's happened, not to speculate on what might've happened and why. Does he have a decent source for this "terrorism" information, or is it that it's 'quite near' the MI5 building (despite being the wrong side of the river!)?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
His job is to report what's happened, not to speculate on what might've happened and why. Does he have a decent source for this "terrorism" information, or is it that it's 'quite near' the MI5 building (despite being the wrong side of the river!)?

Same side of the river and very near.

The M16 building at Vauxhall cross.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia

Quite, but that's a long-forgotten shibboleth. As Danny Baker is fond of saying of the news media, "If you're not scared, we're not doing our jobs properly." The news media, being 24/7/365 nowadays, have so much filling to do that they simply pad it out with repetition, speculation and stupid questions, rather than actually reporting the facts.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I suppose - but there is nothing like a good bit of scaremongering by Sky News though is there.

No of course not and it makes more interesting viewing of course.

But nobodies knows what has happened yet. All anyone knows at the moment is that a helicopter has crashed in a very busy part of south London close to government buildings.

And to be fair to him the only time I've heard him mention terrorism was following an eye witness account from a builder who said that they heard a loud bang and thought it was a terrorist attack. But I've only been listening for the last 20 mins or so.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Two confirmed to have lost their lives, two in hospital

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just crossing the river a couple of miles away and can still see the plume of smoke.

The skies have cleared now but it was bery misty this morning.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Two confirmed to have lost their lives, two in hospital

Obviously that's 2 lives lost too many, but it could have been a helluva lot worse quite honestly. I guess at times like this it's a case of being thankful for small mercies.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Obviously that's 2 lives lost too many, but it could have been a helluva lot worse quite honestly. I guess at times like this it's a case of being thankful for small mercies.

Agreed. This area would have been heaving with traffic and people at 8 in the morning.
Casualties could rise if as reported, the chopper landed on two cars!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Agreed. This area would have been heaving with traffic and people at 8 in the morning.

1 dead in the helicopter and 1 dead in a car

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

Breaking... No more casualties expected!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You have to say that that building is pretty difficult to not see, given it's height, so I'd suggest the pilot wasn't aware of the NATS warning that a crane was operating on the top of it.

From the eyewitness reports it appears the undercarriage clipped the crane jib, and that would have sent the helicopter out of control as the precession effect of the rotors would have flipped it over

And small helicopters aren't always fitted with radar. Even if they are the pilot isn't supposes to fly into the cloud base but should stay below the cloud level, so what made him decide to fly so close? If anything he should have flown beneath the crane jib, but may have been concerned with poor visibilty, that there was a cable that he could not see. It was probably a poor decision to fly in the first place.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can underrstand it must have been scary to be present but the way the news channels are reporting it you would think it was 9/11 all over again. I think people, like some people on here, WANT it to be a terrorist attack for the drama. Get a grip.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I can underrstand it must have been scary to be present but the way the news channels are reporting it you would think it was 9/11 all over again. I think people, like some people on here, WANT it to be a terrorist attack for the drama. Get a grip.

Quite!

That bloke who was just on Sky News was just using it as an excuse to have a day off work! "Oooooooh I'm sooooo shaken up I can't possibly go to work" but you can ring up a national news channel and get your 15 minutes of fame.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Helicopter was diverting to Battersea for whatever reason so probably not aware of its surroundings. May have been in trouble prior to hitting the crane.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Quite!

That bloke who was just on Sky News was just using it as an excuse to have a day off work! "Oooooooh I'm sooooo shaken up I can't possibly go to work" but you can ring up a national news channel and get your 15 minutes of fame.

Exactly. It also disappoints me that this happens in front of you and the best thing you can possibly think to do to be useful or to be of help is to get your iphone out and film it. Unbelievable.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Couldn't see the top of the BT Tower this morning, it was pretty foggy. Apparently all civilian flights by helicopter over central London has to use the Thames as its 'road' with only the Police, Armed Forces and the Queen being allowed to fly over central London itself. Hence the reason this has happened so close to the Thames.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here