Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hayfever....

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
...is flipping awful!

Been out in the garden for 45 minutes and have had to come in, despite antihistamine and a nasal spray...

Any one for some tried, tested and successful alternative remedies?!

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
Yesterday was bad, but this morning is unbearable. I haven't been outside yet and I don't want to with my eyes itching like a very itchy thing.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I have never suffered before but this morning when I woke up I didnt stop sneezing and eyes are closing, its a fking Nightmare!!!
Id be interested to know of any good remedies and also can you just get it like I have??

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Have today started using Prevalin...which is supposed to be 'the next generation of hayfever treatment'...but this hasn't worked yet! Also it's a 2-3 times a day spray rather than the one a day...so it might build up some sort of resistance in time...

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Its been murdering me up here in Leeds recently.

I've been told eating local honey can help (somthing to do with the pollen in the honey helps desensitise you). I've not tried it but might be worth a try.

I dont normally believe in this kind of wichcraft but i'd try anything at the mo.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Have suffered with it snce I was 7 years old and am now almost 53, it has inproved over the last 3 or so years thankfully for me. There seem to be a lot of people getting hayfever that never have before , maybe thats down to new pesticides etc
Have had various injections and tablets over the years and currently am prescribed Loratadine 10mg one a day and they seem good.
Bencard do a very good allergy test in London or they always used too, it costs but does separate the causes and treats accordingly. Never tried it myself but know someone who never suffered again.
Failing that I found out that sex was a very good cure for the common cold, so therefore suggest trying masturbation when things are really bad, although that may not go down too well in the middle of the street or Asda etc haha - Good luck anyway

Have today started using Prevalin...which is supposed to be 'the next generation of hayfever treatment'...but this hasn't worked yet! Also it's a 2-3 times a day spray rather than the one a day...so it might build up some sort of resistance in time...

Congrats on having been taken in by the tele ads. Prevalin is not a medicine, it's quackery.

My hayfever has been better than ever this year and I don't seem to have any problems today either.

Mine too, snort of Flixonase Allergy every morning since early-April when the spring flower/tree pollens first appeared and I've been fine. A high pollen count this week is probably down to the start of the grass pollen "season".

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The two main hayfever drugs now seem to be cetirizine and loratadine, as they are non-drowsy. Buy own-brands (Tesco/Boots, etc.) as they are exactly the same as the branded ones (Zirtek, Clarityn, etc.) but much cheaper.

Mine has been bad for about 6 or 7 years, but seems to have disappeared this year! :)

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Not that it helps any of the above other than offering some small crumb of hope, but... I only ever suffered from hayfever for the first time about 10 years ago - it was dreadful for those intervening years, but this year I've somehow been absolutely fine with not so much as a sniffle. It can disappear in the end :thumbsup:

As for which medicine I used... I ignored the brand and looked for the name of the active drug. While I was a sufferer, I took Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10mg once a day and it worked a treat. I think the other one I tried is something like Loratadine, but that did nothing for me at all. There are plenty of different "brands" with either of those two (and more) but the name is obviously utterly irrelevant, it's the chemical that does it, so whether you find an own-brand/whatever just look for the ones with that drug.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
tried the lot over the years and it got so bad 2 year ago i simply couldnt see to drive ect , had 2 injections last year at the quacks and touchwood not a sniffle or a itchy eyeball since , with the dosh ive spent previous these kenalog injections are a snip , i think they are a steroid based drug so not for everybody at a guess but work a treat if you can have them

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Congrats on having been taken in by the tele ads. Prevalin is not a medicine, it's quackery.

I've tried everything I can over the last 15 years....I'll take my chances with something new in the hope that SOMETHING will do the job!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The two main hayfever drugs now seems to be cetirizine and loratadine, as they are non-drowsy. Buy own-brands (Tesco/Boots, etc.) as they are exactly the same as the branded ones (Zirtek, Clarityn, etc.) but much cheaper.

Mine has been bad for about 6 or 7 years, but seems to have disappeared this year! :)

Oops :) Sorry - took a while to type mine and you did it far more efficiently...

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
I hated the nasal sprays and wrote them off after trying them when I was younger, I now regret it after the Dr looked up my nose and said my nasal somethings (muscles?) were too pale and made me take Flixonase and it cleared me right up. I felt a bit of a fool for ignoring it for so long considering how effective its been for me. I still take one of the tablets occasionally (I think loratadine) if my eyes get a bit watery.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
On a double dosage of Fexofenadine tabs right now, plus Beconase nasal spray 2-3 times a day.

Been worse than usual for last couple of years, wake up with itchy eyes and throat before the day has even started - not good !

Last edited:

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Mine has been awful these last few days and nothing seems to work. I just had to go to a job interview with red, puffy eyes!

On a double dosage of Fexofenadine tabs right now, plus Beconase nasal spray 2-3 times a day.

Been worse than usual for last couple of years, wake up with itchy eyes and throat before the day has even started - not good !

I use Opticrom eye drops or a similar generic, if I get itchy eyes, Flixonase (instead of Beconase) as it's a once daily dose - don't think I've had cause to use an antihistamine for years.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Beconase for me, always have done. For me the trick has always been to start using it in early April, just before the hayfever season really kicks in.

I've tried everything I can over the last 15 years....I'll take my chances with something new in the hope that SOMETHING will do the job!

Perhaps it isn't hay fever then, do you know what you're allergic to? Evidence based medicine is the way forward, your approach is likely to be as expensive and frustrating, as the previous 15 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here