Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hayfever....

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'll take my chances with something new in the hope that SOMETHING will do the job!

This is exactly why/how con artists make a fortune from fraudulent (and even ludicrous) treatments.

I'm not saying I don't understand, btw, but if I wanted I could probably sell my own hair clippings as a treatment for any condition I name, and prey on those with the above attitude... I'd stick with something proven, personally.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Perhaps it isn't hay fever then, do you know what you're allergic to? Evidence based medicine is the way forward, your approach is likely to be as expensive and frustrating, as the previous 15 years.

I know it's the grass pollen...I had hayfever in Rome at the beginning of May when their grass pollen season started (according to a pharmacist out there) and it's starting up properly again now. I'd love to be able to afford to get something more specific!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Myself and my brother both suffer from Hayfever really badly, he is currently doing quite well with it because he read a tip that suggested cutting down on dairy produce.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've had it every summer for as far back as I can remember, starting in March & carrying on until July-ish.

This year: not a sniff...quite literally. Sneezed a few times this morning & slightly watery eye today but that's it. Can't believe my luck. Or maybe I've spoken too soon...

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
To the person who asked-can't be bothered to look back through and quote it: Yes you can just develop it suddenly. The local honey thing is supposed to work- you have to take a teaspoon once a day and it needs to be as local as possible e.g within 5 miles if possible, it would build up over time not work in 1 day. If you have always taken 1 drug try changing to a different brand: it worked for my boyfriend.
Also the own brand one's don't always work as well as the branded, Piriton works for me but not the tesco version but I know someone who is the other way round: apparently he was told by his dr it can happen and it's something to do with the way they are compounded.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Feel really sorry for the people suffering. Both my middle son and I suffer but only at the start of the pollen season (April to early May), after that we are fine. It was never a problem for me until my early thirties, and since then I get all the symptoms - but only for a month and a half or so.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Bloody awful this week - dont find any of the antihistamines help either.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I have a suspicion, since the avalanche of sufferers coincided with the advent of rapeseed farming.

Rapeseed used to be a big trigger for me when I was yonger-couldn't drive past the stuff with the windows open but it doesn't bother me much now it's mostly grass now

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Poor Arthur has been sniffling and sneezing this week and he's only five - we think he might have a bit of hayfever as he hasn't developed a cold or anything....

Still managed to win the penalty shoot out at holiday football camp, beating a head to toe Manure dressed young lad...

Football winner.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Strange but true, moving to Brighton cured my hayfever! Okay, it was 20-something years ago, but living in Haywards Heath I used to suffer with it quite badly every year, but as soon as I moved to Brighton it virtually stopped. Mus tbe the sea air or something :shrug:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Strange but true, moving to Brighton cured my hayfever! Okay, it was 20-something years ago, but living in Haywards Heath I used to suffer with it quite badly every year, but as soon as I moved to Brighton it virtually stopped. Mus tbe the sea air or something :shrug:

Hayfever is much worse in the countryside, with more trees, grass and pollen, and less wind to blow it away.

Still doesnt stop me getting it here though !

boys29

Banned
Dec 30, 2009
I found that that sainsburys own brand ( non Drowsey ) £1 is the only thing that works for me

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
So has grass suddenly made you suffer, or always?

We've had grass growing in Britain for some time now - can't remember that bothering too many people. Different breeds of grass maybe?

I suspect it always has to some extent but the rapeseed masked it. Also I now have hayfever worse than I used to in the same way I grew into asthma and eczema

I suspect it always has to some extent but the rapeseed masked it. Also I now have hayfever worse than I used to in the same way I grew into asthma and eczema

eczema is now treatable with skin creams, a good diet (i.e. low-sugar and alcohol, plenty of fruit & veg), and uv. Try soaps which are biologically ph balanced, and keep from drying out. Don't scratch up the rashes, avoid detergents for your clothing which might exacerbate your condition.

Asthma might be helped with occasional taking of echinacea, and eucalyptus. You might try putting a sprig off a tree, in a vase in your bedroom - and have some of the natural oil around as scent. Chamomile tea is supposed to be efficacious apparently.
I'd avoid a lot of sugar and especially corn-syrup - found in many soft drinks and cereals.

You are probably aware that skin and lung problems often come together.

The internet surely has good suggestions and med sites - good to know what ails you and be your own medic!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here