Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you subliminally trained a pet?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As [MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] says in the barking dog thread, 'a good dog can be trained'.

But have any of you accidentally trained a pet, just by repartition.

My 2 hounds know 'bedtime' means it's time to head off into the front lounge.
All the more surprising as one won't sit on the first command, for love nor money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Where's sock' is a cracking game.
My lab refuses to fetch, but hide a sock in the house, and he's off.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Ask my dog where the squirrels are and she's off looking up trees. No training there.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My cockatiel bursts into "The Adams Family" at various intervals.

He also immitates the phone ringing, quite well, which can be intensely irritating when you are not in the same room and therefore not sure if its the phone or the bird.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Mine know its bed time when the telly gets turned off hence runs to his bed as you know the wifey going to give him a treat.
And he instinctively know its weekends, ie weekdays fast asleep when we go off to work but weekends up and about as he know i will be taking him out somewhere.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
my whippet knows what I want her to do but she is a cocky little bitch and refuses point blank. then she gives that soppy "I'm just a lickle whippet and I don't understand" look. Then the moment my back is turned she laughs at me. I've caught her doing it on a hidden camera. I'd sell her to the chinese couple down the road but she is too thin to get a good price. And I adore her too. But man, does she wind me up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My cat says hello when he walks in - presumably learned from the family saying hello when he comes in the cat door. Well it's sort of helliaow.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
It works on Humans too! Have you tried subliminally training the missus? I saw it in a program, every time she/he does something good no matter how little give her some chocolate or a treat. after a while they will do lots for you and you can slowly ease off the treats

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It works on Humans too! Have you tried subliminally training the missus? I saw it in a program, every time she/he does something good no matter how little give her some chocolate or a treat. after a while they will do lots for you and you can slowly ease off the treats

I'm still not quite over how funny [MENTION=13433]Kumquat[/MENTION] was in a thread which is now no longer available to view. For posts much like this one. Very funny.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011

I do that to myself with beer. Put the loo seat down: have a beer. Wash up the plate: have a beer. File the VAT return on time: have a beer.

Works well, I'm telling you

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
My cat says hello when he walks in - presumably learned from the family saying hello when he comes in the cat door. Well it's sort of helliaow.

Mine "tells" me when it's time for bed. It comes in from the bedroom, sits in front of the TV and says "NAOW" to me. Only works when the mrs is already in bed though.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
They say cats cant be trained like dogs but thats bollocks my cat comes to me when i whistle, shout the word biskwits or chewies
and will run round and round in circles when i say dizzy dizzy dizzy to her !!!
Shes taught herself to open draws and cupboards in the kitchen and when she is hungry drags her food bowl into the front room when im in there !!!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I seem to have somehow trained my cat to wake us up at approx 5.00 in the morning (most mornings) by swishing the light pull next to my head and, if necessary, banging wardrobe doors....Plan C is to purr loudly half an inch from my ear.

She also needles my wife's armpits intensely til they're sore in a weird gooey sort of way, whenever they are available. Probably some kitten thing she's retained into her second year of catship!....though personally it seems rather lesbianic to me, given she's "a teenager" now.

She likes the tap game too....when I'm in the bathroom she jumps in the empty bath tub and looks at the sink, waiting for me to turn the tap on and off. She then lunges for the water drips....when the game's over she normally curls up in the sink to relax.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006

My cat does that, we go back an forth of him meowing, me calling his name, him meowing again etc, until he finds the room I'm in where he does one final meow and leaves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here