Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I'm under 30 and I haven't

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes. It left me underwhelmed frankly. But then when it came out I was 20 and now Im double that I may revisit it at some point.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's a great book.

He has written a string of really funny, well written books since despite your snobby dismissal.

They've very accessible. Sometimes I think of Hornby as the novelist equivalent of a tabloid newspaper. On re-read, Fever Pitch (and possibly High Fidelity) could be said to be the start of metrosexualism, or at least football becoming fashionable (or at least accessible) and therefore being part of the build-up to £4 pies and £30 tickets.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
They've very accessible. Sometimes I think of Hornby as the novelist equivalent of a tabloid newspaper. On re-read, Fever Pitch (and possibly High Fidelity) could be said to be the start of metrosexualism, or at least football becoming fashionable (or at least accessible) and therefore being part of the build-up to £4 pies and £30 tickets.

So it's Hornby's fault. Bastard.

I agree, his books are not deeply intellectual, but they're not tabloidesque either. Somewhere inbetween.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was going to say something similar. To glibly summarise: 'Fever Pitch' was when the middle classes started thinking football was cool and not the sole preserve of white working class male racist thugs. Although I do remember having quite a good discussion with somebody once that the movement had already started and Hornby merely reflected it. I think the truth is between the two. Personally I blame "When Saturday Comes" (joke).

Nick Jarvis

Jul 31, 2003
Under 30 (just) and have read it. Very enjoyable. The bit that stands out for me was when his mum brought him a ticket in the wrong end for an away cup game (Reading away i think) and she couldnt see the issue with that. Just like something my mum would have does and I'd have been equally ungrateful!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The film was one of the worst films I've ever seen, and is NOTHING like the book. His "long suffering" girlfriend is a peripheral figure in the book. God knows why it all revolves round her in the film, as it really completely misses the point of the book!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Great book, truly awful film.

It's truly awful film if you think it's the film of the book. But it isn't.

There's a loose backdrop of life-story flashbacks and Arsenal winning the league in 1989. Aside from that, there's not a huge amount to compare the two.

If you didn't know the book, you might find the film a mildly amusing distraction, but certainly not truly awful.

Bollocks.

It's AN explanation. The film wasn't shit, it just wasn't a representation of the book, as the book, in truth, was fundamentally unfilmable. It's an adaptation of a slice of Hornby's book.

The book, however, lifted the football-writing genre out of fantasy and into a kind of intelligent, reasoned way of describing emotions (even if the subject matter was a bit nerdy - but then there's plenty on here like that).

Quite - the film made a good attempt at putting the gist of the story onto celluloid. Enjoyed the book, enjoyed some of his other books.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fever Pitch is a great book. But lets face it, its no Gullhanger.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
There was an excellent stage adaptation starring Tom Watt. Saw it at the Connaught in Worthing back in the day.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's more a book about growing up, than a football book. Arsenal is the background to his adolescence, but it could just as easily have been about trainspotting

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I read it when I was about 14 or so, it was quite important for me actually.

At that time it was rubbish being an Albion fan in Brighton (around 97-98) but FP made me realise that there was a kind of 'alternative' football fan, and that football was beautiful and poignant at times and it was alright to feel like that.

I suppose I was growing up around people like Steve North and Paul Hodson who were doing the stage version, so perhaps I'm just being nostalgic, but I was growing up supporting a crap football team in a town that was becoming very 'cultural' at that point. It was a great dynamic, it influenced me and my fanzine co-editor a lot as we were best mates even back then.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The book is alright but not enough ANGST of supporting a desperately poor team.

After all, in the book, Arseanal win the Title in the most dramatic fashion in front a packed stadium and a live nationwide TV audience. I'm more used to worrying about how we can scrape a draw at Torquay on a wet cold tuesday night in November.

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
It's more a book about growing up, than a football book. Arsenal is the background to his adolescence, but it could just as easily have been about trainspotting

No, that's a different film entirely

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No, that's a different film entirely
I thought it an apt comparison - both about a destructive addiction (ruined weekends after a wet and cold February afternoon loosing to Huddersfield).

You can't however really compare worrying about Arsenal winning the league, and BHA being kicked out of the football league altogether - ours is a far more intense angst.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here