• I'm under 30 and I have

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I'm under 30 and I haven't

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
:)Great read - I read it years ago and totally related to it, as after years of pestering, my Dad (who did'nt really enjoy footy) took me to my first Albion game in 1958.......and never went with me again! - admittedly he had a gammy leg and did not enjoy standing on the East Terrace for best part of three hours.
:drama:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Under 30 (just) and have read it. Very enjoyable. The bit that stands out for me was when his mum brought him a ticket in the wrong end for an away cup game (Reading away i think) and she couldnt see the issue with that. Just like something my mum would have does and I'd have been equally ungrateful!

Nothing to do with Fever pitch but on similar lines , the wife who bought her husband a season ticket and gave it to him as a Xmas present (thus missing half the season )

Read fever pitch when it first came out loved it and own the film as well sums up what football is all about the perfect football book and the film is decent ad well

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Hornby has an accesible way of delivering his tales for people of his generation.
The book about marrital misery was the last I read, that was a little bit daunting regarding the whole wedlock issue really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read the book, not seen the film

As I type I'm currently listening to the 5 Live Sports Special Podcast on the subject, Tom Watt guesting.
I'm halfway through and as you'd expect it's a good listen.

As it's been mentioned, I'd just like to nod towards High Fidelity.
Great book, great film.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Read the book, not seen the film

As I type I'm currently listening to the 5 Live Sports Special Podcast on the subject, Tom Watt guesting.
I'm halfway through and as you'd expect it's a good listen.

As it's been mentioned, I'd just like to nod towards High Fidelity.
Great book, great film.

I was going to mention that (promise) - a real surprise that such a London-based book could be set so successfully in whatever American city it was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was going to mention that (promise) - a real surprise that such a London-based book could be set so successfully in whatever American city it was.
Chicago.

John Cusack could have played it in Scunthorpe and would have pulled it off.
But that says more about JC than the script.
It was entirely his project after reading the book.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Bollocks.

It's AN explanation. The film wasn't shit, it just wasn't a representation of the book, as the book, in truth, was fundamentally unfilmable. It's an adaptation of a slice of Hornby's book.

The book, however, lifted the football-writing genre out of fantasy and into a kind of intelligent, reasoned way of describing emotions (even if the subject matter was a bit nerdy - but then there's plenty on here like that).

So true, film wasn't shit, so hard to translate the brilliant book onto the screen
The film is great for explaining our passion for the game, to football hating Gf's

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I was going to reply to this thread but you've said it all. 100% this.

Edit: oops - forgot to reply with quote - see below.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
but the film was utter, utter shite. The book, albeit about one of my most loathed clubs, was a thing of beauty. I understand the agony, despair, joy and just about every other emotion the fella felt.

Admittedly, Hornby kind of ruined it afterwards by writing a string of shit, middle class holiday tat (High Fidelity aside)

I was going to reply to this thread but you've said it all. 100% this.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Read the book sometime around when it came out in paperback I think - never seen the film and never had the inclination too either.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think I might have to read it again. Last read it a good 10 years ago. Great book.
Go for a double header with High Fidelity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The book has been re-released as a Penguin Classic.

Dandyman

In London village.
but the film was utter, utter shite. The book, albeit about one of my most loathed clubs, was a thing of beauty. I understand the agony, despair, joy and just about every other emotion the fella felt.

Admittedly, Hornby kind of ruined it afterwards by writing a string of shit, middle class holiday tat (High Fidelity aside)

Spot on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I seem to remember reading one of his about a healer/guru type bloke.

That was sh*te.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
enjoyed the book. US version of the film was better ( red sox = gooners ) + drew barrymore as love interest.

Middle class football book = man utd ruined my life...... what a load of shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
5lspecials: 20 Years of Fever Pitch 50:19 18/10/2012 Eleanor Oldroyd is joined by the editor of the New Statesman and author Jason Cowley and actor, journalist and broadcaster Tom Watt to look back at the book Fever Pitch, and the author Nick Hornby's relationship with Arsenal Football Club....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here