Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever met your all time hero and how did it go?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Do famous people go to the toilet ?

There`s a thread there somewhere.

My father claims to have pissed all over Big Fat Ron's loafers during half-time in the 84 FA Cup match vs Liverpool. Apparently BFR was doing co-commentary in that funny little cabin thing on the East Terrace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I met Johnny Marr of The Smiths. It was at the 40th birthday party of the bloke who built Johnny's house. No one else knew who he was, so I spent the whole evening in awe, listening to tales from on the road with The Smiths and The The, working with Electronic and about his love for Citeh. He had no pretensions, just loved what he did, and was as far apart from the Billy Bigbolllocks persona of the likes of Liam Gallagher as you could imagine.

His wife was a top babe too, and I left the party feeling I had indeed been in the prescence of God.

I also met JM but nothing like yours! I met him at KFC at Warwick services...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is all a bit dull. I want stories of heroes who turned out to be absolute WANKERS and shattered your childhood illusions forever :lolol:

Jamie_Seagull

Jun 22, 2010
Worthing
I wouldn't say he's my all time hero, but i have been obsessed with this guy for 5 years or so, and i met him a few years ago on holiday in Valencia, Spain...... DAVID VILLA!
Also saw former Arsenal midfielder Edu, aswell as Ruben Baraja

Attachments

• ME AND DAVID VILLA!!!.bmp
    386.4 KB · Views: 129
  • ME AND EDU!!!.bmp
    487 KB · Views: 126
  • ME AND RUBEN BARAJA!!!.bmp
    358.5 KB · Views: 125

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
ive named my son after my two heros Ozzy Osborne and James Hetfield (Ozzy Hetfield Jackson) and have met both of them.

Ozzy came to a club i managed to hear aband that would go on tour with him and i was completely starstruck

and then i won a meet and greet for a metallica gig in dublin in 2008 and met James Hetfield and i made the biggest prick of myself i could. luckily he was obviously used to people doing this. He signed a photo ihad taken in Denmark the year before of him on stage, To ozzy from papa het. then told me that the first name sucked but the middle name as a goodun.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is all a bit dull. I want stories of heroes who turned out to be absolute WANKERS and shattered your childhood illusions forever :lolol:

I wouldn't say that he was a hero, but I always quite like Henry Blofeld as a commentator. And then I met him and found him to be a complete arse - a drunken, egotistical, lecherous boor of a man. Conversely, I always thought Lothar Matthaus was an A1 tosser but I met him a few years back and found him extremely pleasant to us plebs.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
OCTAV BOTNAR

Power personified.

Peasants used to have heart attacks and strokes if he walked into the room.

Not a good testimonial for Capitalism.

But he was more honest that the Tory Government of the day.

Top bloke, provided major employment in Worthing, tireless chairty worker for the handicaped, then totally left out to dry by the Tory government, sadly died in exile, deserved more.

As for heroes, managed to meet and actually do a short interview with Alan Ball while at SCR, a brilliant exeperience I will never forget.

Sadly can't same the same for Eric Bristow, made Bernard Manning look like Nelson Mandela.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Top bloke, provided major employment in Worthing, tireless chairty worker for the handicaped, then totally left out to dry by the Tory government, sadly died in exile, deserved more.

Did he not flee the country for his alleged part in one of the most massive fraud charges in UK history by Nissan and the tax office? Other directors did not flee and did time. He chose not to fight his corner so how was he hung out to dry, obviously it would have been Tory Government wouldn't it ? :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't say that he was a hero, but I always quite like Henry Blofeld as a commentator. And then I met him and found him to be a complete arse - a drunken, egotistical, lecherous boor of a man. Conversely, I always thought Lothar Matthaus was an A1 tosser but I met him a few years back and found him extremely pleasant to us plebs.

Really? I am shocked. TMS will never be the same again :lolol:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Not a hero at all and i always thought Mark Bosnich was a complete tossing wanker and he fully lived up to it at Cheltenham races years ago.The rest of the Villa boys were great chatting away,Sotuhgate, Dublin etc, all dressed in suits execpt Bosnich, had a matrix style full lengh leather coat on and was totaly up his own arse.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Did he not flee the country for his alleged part in one of the most massive fraud charges in UK history by Nissan and the tax office? Other directors did not flee and did time. He chose not to fight his corner so how was he hung out to dry, obviously it would have been Tory Government wouldn't it ? :lolol:

But as I'm led to understand they didn't do it without knowledge from other agencies, it was only when the Japanese effectively tried to take Nissan UK back off him in some kind of underhand move and to placate the Japs Maggie backed the foreign power, that it all came out.

I'm sure Frank Shannon an ex Albion director, one of the said imprisoned, would have the full story chapter and verse.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Came THAT close to meeting my all-time hero Hunter S Thompson at Ralph Steadman's mansion in the heart of the Kent countryside once. Well, missed him by 3 weeks actually, though got to see some original gibberish HST had bashed out on the Streeadman typewriter and got to hear some mind-boggling HST tales in Steadman's local where I sadly over-indulged in the strong Kentish ales on offer and proceeded to disgrace myself so thoroughly that I actually got a mention in the Steadman autobiography :blush:

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I met Johnny Marr of The Smiths. It was at the 40th birthday party of the bloke who built Johnny's house. No one else knew who he was, so I spent the whole evening in awe, listening to tales from on the road with The Smiths and The The, working with Electronic and about his love for Citeh. He had no pretensions, just loved what he did, and was as far apart from the Billy Bigbolllocks persona of the likes of Liam Gallagher as you could imagine.

His wife was a top babe too, and I left the party feeling I had indeed been in the prescence of God.

I am jealous as hell. That is all

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Back in the early 90's, Billy Bonds was manager at my beloved West Ham. He is also my absolute hero. WHU played a reserve match at the Goldstone against BHA and it was the return of Frank Macavennie too.

Anyway, i sat in the west stand and about 2 rows in front of me was Bonzo with his wife and kids. I didn't have the nerve to go up to such a massive legend (IMHO) and regret it to this day

BB used to live up the road from me in Mottingham SE9. I never met him until I went on a tour of Upton Park arranged by Trevor Brooking when I was about 10 and he was really friendly (as most people seem when you are 10 I guess). We watched training and I was deeply shocked at the racist abuse Pat Holland was giving Bobby Barnes. He was calling him an effing ****** every five minutes. The image is still clear in my mind.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal

A bit different to when my old boss met him at St Pancras statin. He was on his own on the platform, so he goes up to him and asks if he is Johnny Marr. he just replied "yes, now f**k off!" - Quality!

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Great thread. I have been fortunate enough to meet nearly all of my boyhood heroes. Bobby Moore was a true gent and an autograph that would put all of today's players to shame. George Best a true genius and Bobby Charlton a bit surly but a great player.
Meeting the guys from Queen in Brighton back in 1979meas fantastic, and they all signed my Night at the opera album.
Not being able to meet Marc Bolan would be my saddest moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here