Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever met your all time hero and how did it go?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
johnny marr always comes across as a top bloke imo

i'm trying to avoid ever meeting morrissey as i fear he'd be a complete tit and i'd cry for about a year because of it

anyway

i met neville staple in newcastle and he's WELL nice.......also kissed him on the head in brighton, he didn't seem to mind

I met Morrissey and he was top. I was walking down Parkway, Camden and this bloke who looked like Morrissey was walking towards me, I kept thinking it can't be, it can't be... and it was.

I stopped him, said I loved his latest album (Vauxhall and I) and had a very brief chat.

I almost f***ing fainted afterwards. I didnt get him to sign anything or nowadays it would probably be the dreaded camera phone.

He's still very much my hero although most of the music he now makes is gash

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I met Morrissey and he was top. I was walking down Parkway, Camden and this bloke who looked like Morrissey was walking towards me, I kept thinking it can't be, it can't be... and it was.

I stopped him, said I loved his latest album (Vauxhall and I) and had a very brief chat.

Good to hear that a strange fear didn't grip you and you just couldn't ask.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not VERY famous but he is my musical hero....

I met Vini Reilly (The Durutti Column) at the Komedia December 2005 as he was sitting a table having a cigarette (for once) before the gig. I told him I had loved his music since I saw him at the Leeds Futurama Festival in 1980, although I had never heard of him at the time and had gone to see Hawkwind!

Bless him, he is exactly as he appears on stage, appears to live a shambolic life and is only really interested in making 'my funny music'. He signed a Live at the Venue CD for me - looking at it now I think he had been smoking something else:lol:

The gig was wonderful as well....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I met Lewis Hamilton at a test session in 2006 and he actually chatted to me for about 5 minutes (probably out of kindness due to the fact I was only 12 :) ), I bet now I would have 0% chance of getting a word out of him let alone a whole conversation!

To be fair to Lewis, his mind would be thinking " I could either talk to this bloke who I don't know or shag a Pussycat Doll up the arse instead", no wonder he gets so many speeding tickets..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do famous people go to the toilet ?

There`s a thread there somewhere.

Yes, I once had a slash next to Animal from the Anti Nowhere League at the Top Rank.

Slightly below average and hung to the left, in case you are interested.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to a Joe Strummer solo gig about 10 years back and then went to Gaz's Rockin' Blues club afterwards. Joe Strummer came in about an hour after we arrived, surveyed the scene and spotted two empty chairs next to me (friend and NSCer London Calling had gone to the bar) and promptly sat down with his missus. He sat there for about 30 mins and watched the live band, chatting to us and gave me a drink. We talked about music, football, the gig he'd just played, his new band and he was an amazingly friendly bloke...at times he was hard to shut up. We were conscious of the fact we were gassing to him and he probably had not come out to talk to us.....but he kept starting new conversations.

I've been in positions to talk to other heroes of mine as well...but have tended to bottle it. I want to say something meaningful but never know what. Maybe I should just say thank you.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Met a ton of reggae stars, as we used to be support for most of the reggae concerts at top wank...McGregor, Denis Brown, Yellowman, Uhuru, Isaacs, Steel Pulse, Eek A Mouse, Gladiators, Mighty Diamonds etc etc..Have to say, that reggae artists are very approachable and down to earth mostly..
One we didnt support, and who I never expected to meet was Bob Marley after second night at the center. in 1980 ..got on his coach so he could sign autographs etc...had camera, but i used the film up in the bloody concert....but experinenced a fairly magical moment when the I-Threes squeezed past me, still hot from the stage...anyway..shook his hand off...but dont really remember saying anything but thank you over and over, like a dribbling idiot, mainly as I was off my nut on sensi haha I used to say it was the greatest moment of my life, but my daughter see's it differently.

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Good thread.

Haven't really met anyone famous myself though. Re: the meeting someone before they became famous, my mate used to work with Jordan

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
How about has anyone met someone BEFORE they have gone on to be famous? I met Lewis Hamilton at a test session in 2006 and he actually chatted to me for about 5 minutes (probably out of kindness due to the fact I was only 12 :) ), I bet now I would have 0% chance of getting a word out of him let alone a whole conversation!

you were 12 in 2006.....thanks that now explains a lot about your postings

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Chris Shiftlett from the Foo Fighters once walked in front of me. I said hi but he didn't hear me or ignored me
I've had the chance to meet a fair few football players in my time, Matt LeTissier despite his Scumton roots was a really nice guy. David Bentley on the other hand was a massive bellend

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm a big squeeze fan and for my 40th my wife arranged for Glenn Tilbrook to play a surprise gig at my local sports hall. Glenn even popped around my house prior to the gig. We chatted in my garden and was really nice. He was there from 6pm , gig started at 8pm and he finished at midnight. All my friends went and he played squeeze and took requests as well as letting others sing with him.

Top top bloke. At first I was in a daze, but he put me at ease and we talked about squeeze, him getting back with Chris Difford and him touring america in a RV.

That was the best night of my life and still cant quite believe it...........great that I have a video of the whole thing too

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I went to a Joe Strummer solo gig about 10 years back and then went to Gaz's Rockin' Blues club afterwards. Joe Strummer came in about an hour after we arrived, surveyed the scene and spotted two empty chairs next to me (friend and NSCer London Calling had gone to the bar) and promptly sat down with his missus. He sat there for about 30 mins and watched the live band, chatting to us and gave me a drink. We talked about music, football, the gig he'd just played, his new band and he was an amazingly friendly bloke...at times he was hard to shut up. We were conscious of the fact we were gassing to him and he probably had not come out to talk to us.....but he kept starting new conversations.

I've been in positions to talk to other heroes of mine as well...but have tended to bottle it. I want to say something meaningful but never know what. Maybe I should just say thank you.

The Clash were my favourite band and i have had the privilige of seeing them in the flesh,but would of love to of met Joe Strummer.
Wardy is another one of my heroes and i have met him on numerous occasions,the only other person i would like to meet is Bowie.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
OCTAV BOTNAR

Power personified.

Peasants used to have heart attacks and strokes if he walked into the room.

Not a good testimonial for Capitalism.

But he was more honest that the Tory Government of the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here