Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever changed a plug? Do you know how to?

Have you ever fitted a plug? Can you?

• I have NEVER fitted a plug and don't know how to

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I have NEVER fitted a plug, but expect I could if I had to

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • It's YEARS since I fitted a plug

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I do it all the time

Votes: 59 56.7%
  • I've done it once. Never again.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
When I was at school they taught us how to wire a plug. They bent the pins over so that the thickos of the class didn't attempt to see if it worked.

Never changed one, wouldn't know how to.

As for shops being open on Boxing Day, it's because we live in a consumer-orientated society where people want to be able to get whatever they want whenever they want it, and many shops are only too happy to meet that demand.

Sadly, I suspect we're not a million miles from Xmas Day opening being a commonplace thing.

I think that would require the law to be changed and believe me why would people want to open shops for the one day of the year when people DON'T want to shop

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think that would require the law to be changed and believe me why would people want to open shops for the one day of the year when people DON'T want to shop

Open Christmas Day ? Well why not ? There's a whole lot of British Citizens to whom Christmas means nothing apart from a piss up (as long as they are allowed to drink). We're a multi cultural society aren't we ?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford

Shops with a floorspace of up to 3,000 square feet can open on Christmas Day, anything over that can't.

changed many a plug in my time.

But had a brialliant electric shock, when changing a plug, when i was 11 or 12. Sent flying thru the air.

Kids don't know their born nowadays.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Shops with a floorspace of up to 3,000 square feet can open on Christmas Day, anything over that can't.

When I lived in Tooting, our local cash and carry was open on Christmas day and I'd swear that was bigger than 3,000 square feet - my guess would have been closer to 8,000. It was very handy for last minute food shopping though.

The local shop in Coldean is open too - a godsend when I had no brandy for the pud last year.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
When I lived in Tooting, our local cash and carry was open on Christmas day and I'd swear that was bigger than 3,000 square feet - my guess would have been closer to 8,000. It was very handy for last minute food shopping though.

The Christmas Day Trading Act came into effect in 2004, I assume that before then any size shop could open on Christmas Day as Sainsbury's in Haywards Heath opened one year and that is also larger than 3,000 square feet.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
why would people want to open shops for the one day of the year when people DON'T want to shop

I've had a fair few enquiries from customers as to whether we're opening on Xmas Day or not, so evidently there are some sad bastards out there who would take advantage of such a service if it were offered.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have collection of old plugs. Usually just pinch the fuses nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here