Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever changed a plug? Do you know how to?

Have you ever fitted a plug? Can you?

• I have NEVER fitted a plug and don't know how to

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I have NEVER fitted a plug, but expect I could if I had to

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • It's YEARS since I fitted a plug

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I do it all the time

Votes: 59 56.7%
  • I've done it once. Never again.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not sure if that was said tongue in cheek, but to clarify, no it is not illegal to change a plug.

It is illegal to sell an item that does not have a sealed plug I believe

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I think this is Lord B's round-a-bout "how do I hang a dartboard then" thread.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
God - haven't got a clue. No idea how to change a fuse either.

Should probably find out really!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
God - haven't got a clue. No idea how to change a fuse either.

Should probably find out really!

On a similar point, EVERYONE should know where their stopcock is, especially at this time of year.. drip, drip flood...!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
bLue LEFT
bRown RIGHT

Basic skill innit

Word :cool:

wiring_plug.gif

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Brown is the colour of your underpants if you touch the live wire:bigwave:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
What used to be a standard domestic skill has now been lost forever.

two years ago now but we were taught how todo it in gcse science... I got kept behind to fix 30 odd plugs as I was one of few or the only one who could do it.. thanks DAD!

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
With your 220 volts as opposed to our 110, your electrical plugs are really heavy duty compared to ours. I thought at first you meant bath tub plugs, of which I have changed many.
Your electricians must have a much stronger union over there if you have to call one in to install a plug.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The size of British Standard plugs is more down to the safety design of them than the voltage carried - they generally carry *less* current due to the higher voltage (a tumble dryer in the US will have well over 20A running through its plug, for instance).

They've more space from the pins to the edge to prevent people managing to touch live pins when plugging them out, they've an earth pin unlike most US devices, the larger pins reduce the "skin effect" apparently, and so on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When I learned, live was red, earth was green and, I think, neutral was green. I've never known why they were changed.

I learned how to fit plugs and mend a fuse when I was about 11 or 12. In this age of circuit breakers, you don't need the latter but I still fit plugs from time to time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
IT engineer, I can change a plug and a lot more other electrical stuff as well, bully for me.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
When I learned, live was red, earth was green and, I think, neutral was green. I've never known why they were changed.

I learned how to fit plugs and mend a fuse when I was about 11 or 12. In this age of circuit breakers, you don't need the latter but I still fit plugs from time to time.

Neutral used to be black

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not something I have to do too often, but yeah I'm quite cable of doing so.
Also need to make so to have fuse wire available for if one of the house fuses goes (don't have the sealed fuses like in the previous house)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here