Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever changed a plug? Do you know how to?

Have you ever fitted a plug? Can you?

• I have NEVER fitted a plug and don't know how to

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I have NEVER fitted a plug, but expect I could if I had to

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • It's YEARS since I fitted a plug

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I do it all the time

Votes: 59 56.7%
  • I've done it once. Never again.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Musing today about why shops think they need to open on Boxing Day, the thought crossed my mind that there used to be only two reasons why anyone needed to go shopping over the Christmas holiday. One was to buy batteries for some gift that had come without them. The other was to buy a three pin plug, for the same reason.

These days, every electrical appliance comes already fitted with a plug and no-one ever fits a plug at home. What used to be a standard domestic skill has now been lost forever.

What's your history with plugs?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I can change one OK but you are right it is not required anymore.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
My Dad was a trained electrician. He taught me how to do that, change fuses (when it was fuse wire) and wire up light fittings etc etc.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Never changed one, wouldn't know how to.

As for shops being open on Boxing Day, it's because we live in a consumer-orientated society where people want to be able to get whatever they want whenever they want it, and many shops are only too happy to meet that demand.

Sadly, I suspect we're not a million miles from Xmas Day opening being a commonplace thing.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Haven't for years. Most plugs these days are sealed so you couldn't change it even if you wanted to. Unless, of course, you cut the original one off and replace it with an old school plug.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I had to put a plug on a light yesterday that I made up from scratch.

It has been so long since last put a plug on, that I had to take the cover off an old plug in the house just to remember which way the blue and brown wires went...?

Im pleased I did though, as the fuse board has survived, the house is still standing , and no damage seems to have been done :)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I believe it's illegal now unless you are a trained electrician.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought LB was talking about buttplugs for a moment there. The mind boggled as to what Ros has bought him for Christmas.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably producers of electrical goods quite sensibly supply one now and it's probably easier to produce a sealed unit.

But where the wastage comes in fact that the lead supplied is the same as something you've got hanging about the house or a "proprietary" type.

I find it shocking to be honest that mobile phone producers (for instance) are allowed to get away with producing something that only fits their phone.

The "kettle type" electrical lead is so common.

Working for a company that uses a lot of equipment like professional video machines (as well as having hundreds of PCs) that use the same lead I seen hundreds and hundreds of them thrown away.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good poll. We're so desperate to make life 'easier' for ourselves, some useful skills are being lost. I feel that about finding your way to places, and I'll never get a satnav. You should be able to navigate yourself from A to B, and surely the ability to plot a route and read a map will always be useful.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I once spent a whole day changing 24 15amp plugs - eventually I learned the hard way that you have to remember to thread the flex through the plug top before attaching the wires to the pins - d'oh!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
have to do it from time to time, know how to

Do me a favour and let me the instructions fella, I've just finished building my teenage sons a new "naughty chair" and i'm not sure how to wire the plug up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here