Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever been to a reserves game?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Prompted by the other thread, I was just wondering how many had, or even would. Does it make you a better, more knowledgeable fan - or is it just a bit 'too much' Albion and verging on sad?

Is that level of football entertainment?

I don't think I've been to a reserve game, but I did go and see the youth team away at Brentford in the FA Cup a couple of years ago and against all my pre-conceived notions it was superb. I think McPhee got a couple, Dean Wilkins had them playing really good stuff and it felt really good seeing 'the next generation' in action. In a way that I don't think I'd feel about the reserves, in a strange way.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Albion vs Charlton

We had to go to get some cup tickets in the 70's ( Derby???)

Also when we played in the first division under Mike Bailey, the football was so boring we used to get crowds of over 1000 every reserve game

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've been, they normally leave me feeling abit empty inside exept for one a couple of years ago against Norwich where a couple of their players got sent off and the ref completely ruined the game with some incredible decisions. We lost 2-1 and John Piercy spent the whole game tearing into the linesman. Will Packham also pulled off the greatest save I've ever seen.

The second half was spent mostly in the bar.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Haven't been for years, but when I lived just down from the goldstone ground, I used to pop up there if I was ever particularly bored...

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
:wave:

I go and watch Crawley's reserves when they are at home.

And to top it off I've also, in the past, watched the reserve's away from home too. :lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I used to go to reserve games at the Goldstone, they were great fun. Decent game, seeing players you had only read about before in the programme, and you could wander all around the ground. Used to settle down behind whatever goal we were kicking towards.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Crawley Boy said:
And to top it off I've also, in the past, watched the reserve's away from home too. :lolol:

Me, too.

Many years ago when my cousin was in the reserves, his dad, my dad and I went to Eastbourne Utd to watch him.

I also did the game when we had to go to get tickets for the Derby league cup game. 17,000 I believe the gate was!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I've been, they normally leave me feeling abit empty inside exept for one a couple of years ago against Norwich where a couple of their players got sent off and the ref completely ruined the game with some incredible decisions. We lost 2-1 and John Piercy spent the whole game tearing into the linesman. Will Packham also pulled off the greatest save I've ever seen.

The second half was spent mostly in the bar.

That was the worst ref i have ever seen.

I think that game was surpassed by the reserves cup game against Worthing when Mark Farrington dribbled past three defenders and smashed it into the corner. it was the most surreal goal i've ever seen

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Only once, against Arsenal at the Goldstone in the late 80s. It was good too, about 1,500 people there.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
not yet , but from next season i'm planning to do loads of them

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
I used to go on a regular basis back in the 80's.

Sit in the West Stand with the first teamers etc (that atttended)

Spurs and Arsenal reserves were always the top draw, always had 1st teamers playing then.

D

Deleted User X18H

Man of Harveys said:
Only once, against Arsenal at the Goldstone in the late 80s. It was good too, about 1,500 people there.
I went to that game it was on Valentines day I'm sure we gad just signed quite a big name player but I can't remember who.............

D

Deleted User X18H

I used to go to the Goldstone with the 10p A4 programme I used to use an old colleagues executive club pass (hello Jacko) and once me and a mate shared the exec club with Liam Brady Gerry Ryan , Lawrie Macmenamy and Alan Ball ..........Lawrie asked us if we were 'Press or Scouts' I replied neither we're 'freeloaders'

andima

Jan 9, 2005
sussex
I have been to a few went to the Littlehampton Vs Brighton game last year when Brighton won 5-0,
Brighton had a strong side out.
May, Hinsh, Virgo, Mayo, Reid, Chippie, Oatway, Jones, Harding, Knight and Molango.
Not a bad side for a reserve game

Also am going on tusday night against Crawley as that should be a good game.

johnwells

Jan 6, 2005
Reserves

Used to go to several at the Goldstone,tend to go only to the AWAy Senior Cup games now

You can stil get in to the League games on your season ticket but you always pay for Cup games.

Besides the switch to Worthing you used to get te big boys reserve sides I recall going to Bognor to watch Arsenal and they had 8 players with 1st team experience,including Bould, McGoldrick and Rhys Wilmot in goal

Albion won 1-0 the lack of these quality opposoition lineups is the real reason I dont go now

Pop along if you can

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Went to watch Brighton play, er, who knows, can't remember, back at the Goldstone, my Sales Manager at the time was a FA ref, he ran the line. We sat in the Directors box behind Barry Lloyd and gave him a few tips as to team selection.

I think that was the year we made the play off, must have been something I said!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Never been to a reserve game but my mate won a competition to train with the Albion once so I went along and watched.

It was in the Gillingham days when Jeff Wood was in charge and Jamie Moralee and Richard Barker were at the club.

I was the only spectator!

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Used to go years ago at the Goldstone. In those days, all the big guns such as Spurs, Arsenal, Southampton, Chelsea etc played in the combination. It's a shadow of what it was.

Saw players like Andy Townsend , Matt le Tissier, Kevin Campbell etc before they broke into the first teams at their clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here