Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever been to a reserves game?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Verged on "very sad" when a young teenager in the late 1960s and early 1970s - went to almost every reserve game for two or three seasons, just so I wouldn't miss an Albion game when they were playing away (before my parents allowed me to travel to away games!)

Think we played in the Southern Combination league then ... the reserve games were a whole other experience with players (especially the goalkeepers) stopping to chat to the crowd during the match!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I go to an average of about five or six Cardiff reserve games a season, usually to check on the progress of our youngsters. Got a lot of pleasure out of watching Robert Earnshaw score some spectacular goals for the reserves a few years ago before he broke into the first team.

The best goal I've ever witnessed was scored during a reserve game at Ninian Park a couple of seasons back. An incredible strike by former Palace star Fan Zhiyi. Shame there was only around 300 people there to see it. Amazing goal.

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
I go to a few reserve games each season.

Some of the Home games are in the afternoon and I have been known to pop out of work to catch the game,
and get back before anyone has noticed!

As I live within minutes of Woodside road, I sometimes pass the time if I've nothing else on in the evening. During the Gillingham years the crowds used to be really healthy. The two factors being: Many people couldn't or wouldn't travel to Gillingham so this was their only chance to see the Albion at 'home'. Also, the football combination had all the premiership 'big guns' in the league then. Since they've formed their own reserve league crowds have dropped right off. The attraction of Colchester or Barnet on a wet Wednesday isn't the same as Arsenal or Chelsea. Then again, one of the few games I saw last season was the Albion beating Aldershot reserves 12-2! Quite easily the most memorable.....

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
i saw that one!!
missed quite a few of the goals as I promised to keep my babe informed of the score by text.

Everytime i had sent a text, Brighton had scored one or two more,
my finger was almost worn out....

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Have not been to a reserve match since the Goldstone days, however I am definatley going to the Senior Cup match against Crawley at Worthing.

One Team In Sussex:angry:

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Curious Orange said:
I saw the Albion reserves take on Dorking at Meadowbank once. I seem to remember Steve Gatting being in the side on his way back from injury.

Edinburghs a long way to see a reserve game.

Saw Albion reserves away at West Ham once. Won 4-2, bit scary being the only away fan there when we scored.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
In the sixties they would sell cup tickets at reserve games. If you wanted to see a cup game, you had to pay for a reserve ticket too.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Just the one, at the Goldstone in the 80's. The reserve team of the David Gipp/Franco Massimo era I think - they played Chelsea, who fielded Roy Wegerle and a couple of other 'names', and got beaten 3-0.

Saw the youth team play their Cup tie at Withdean last season aswell though.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Watched them loads at the Goldstone... saw the last ever reserve match there - we thumped Cardiff 5-0 with a Simon Fox hat trick.
Simon Fox - now there's a jumped up prick if ever I saw one.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I go to every reserve game at home seeing as i live 2 mins walk from woodside road and it's great to see how the youngsters are getting on, and I can't uderstand from what i've seen why Albert Jarrett isn't in the first team.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
yes - several

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I bought a ticket for the game against Notts County reserves in the late sixties, but left two hours before the match started.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
On the Left Wing said:
... the reserve games were a whole other experience with players (especially the goalkeepers) stopping to chat to the crowd during the match!

I witnessed a married goalkeeper fixing himself up with a date during a reserve game at the Goldstone Ground. He was playing and she stood behind the goal. He arranged to meet the young lady after the game with a view to taking her for a drink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here