Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you always been an Albion fan

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
i was born in brighton and my old man was born in shoreham,grew up in newhaven,never been remotely interested in any other team

Mine

Odious Bureaucrat
Sep 16, 2011
I wasn't born into football much less Albion. Growing up in the U.S. (West Virginia and Georgia) in the 1970s and 80s, there was a xenophobia about sport. You played gridiron, basketball, or baseball. Anything else wasn't worth watching or playing. Wasn't able to see beyond that until the communications revolution brought us all closer together. Football is now my favourite professional sport and only behind collegiate American football in what I like to watch.

Why Albion? I was introduced to the club by the Gullhanger book in 2002 and it grew on me from that point.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Born in Brighton and never had an interest in any other team. Lived in Lewes until I joined the Army in 83 and went to watch "The Rooks" with my Dad regularly as a boy. Saw numerous games at the Goldstone in the late seventies, early eighties but didn't get a ST until we were at the Withdean as military life is unpredictable and I was overseas a lot.

Don't have any "second team" to look out for as I am a firm believer in supporting my local team, the mighty Albion!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Brighton born and bred. Started supporting the team in 1984 as a 14 year old boy when I went to my first match vs Aldershot with my mate to the Goldstone and was hooked from that day on. I cannot understand this switching allegiance stuff or having a second team, i support Brighton and Brighton only, always have done, always will. Have always been proud of it, even when we were languishing in division 3.

Born and brought up in Brighton. Went to first game , home to Norwich, 1961/62 season. Remember the introduction of the first ground season tickets for the "Chicken Run" at the Goldstone. Moved away from the area in 1990 and watched occasionally home and away until purchasing my first season ticket for 21 years this season. Never thought, contemplated or dreamt of supporting any other team.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Always supported the mighty Albion,Sussex born and bred,started going back in the early 70`s as a young lad and have suffered ever since,but it has been worth it and although we have never had the success and trophies of the Man.U,Liverpools etc. I wouldn`t swap supporting Brighton for anything.The era the club is in now has been worth all the heartache of the past and I have never enjoyed watching the team,or looked forward to the next match as I do now.Seagulls!!

forza1986

Sep 23, 2011
Im a Huddersfield fan....moved down here a bit back. I keep an eye out for Brighton scores due to me enjoying your football!! Also due to you playing in blue and white and your ground being a bit like towns but with corners!! Hoping to get to some of your games this season depending on if i can get tickets!!

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
I used to support Man U as a kid until I saw my first Brighton match in 2001, since then I now hate United with a passion, and love the albion. This being my third consecutive season as a season ticket holder.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
my footballing history started off in the early 90s when my brother was a liverpool fan, then he got bored of that and didnt like football

by 1996 i was watching england at euro 96 and then started to get interested

then in 1997 1998 i stared to "support" aresenall as everyone in my class were, then 1998 watched the world cup

then in 2000 i went to withdean and became a albion fan and got very interesed in supporting the club and been interesed ever since

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Where i live is the divide line(some say)Pompey or Brighton,my family comes from Redhill/Reigate,my dad is 1 of 9 children,we are the only ones that moved to LA,my dad best mate,also from Redhill,came down a few times in the late 70s and took me to the Goldstone,i was hooked,thank FK i didnt go Pompey,and thank FK for my dads best mate,as mosy my cousins,support the scum.

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
Not from the area but have always been an Albion Fan, never, ever thought of supporting anyone else, my first game was at the Goldstone back in the mid 70's whilst on a late Summer Holiday.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
my footballing history started off in the early 90s when my brother was a liverpool fan, then he got bored of that and didnt like football

by 1996 i was watching england at euro 96 and then started to get interested

then in 1997 1998 i stared to "support" aresenall as everyone in my class were, then 1998 watched the world cup

then in 2000 i went to withdean and became a albion fan and got very interesed in supporting the club and been interesed ever since

Good to hear & yes many may be like you,the new stadium and some degree of success on the pitch is also required to help this trend continue.

nick

Sep 20, 2011
Haywards Heath
Born Brighton fan went to goldstone when I was 2 years old after last game, and season ticket as long as i can remember

Last edited:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
[SPECIAL][/SPECIAL]
Its quite interesting to see on some posts supporters being labeled plastics or JCL`s but is this fair?

I have not always supported the albion,moving around the country and as a young kid in the 70`s my passion was for Liverpool.I was lucky enough that my father who was a great fan of football nurtured my interest in actually attending matches and i was again lucky enough to watch them live including a European cup final.Then when i was 8 we moved to surrey and one saturday my dad gave me the choice of watching Brighton or Palace,I chose Brighton because it was by the sea and i might get a chance to go on the pier.Anyway we did more and more matches at the goldstone(as i loved the pier and the old man liked the long stretch away from the wife) and i flirted with the Albion and Liverpool until that game against Blackpool when i cried for what seemed for an eternity..........that was the moment i knew i would bleed blue and white for the rest of my life.

my point is Albion fans come from all different angles and it seems to defeat the purpose of name calling because you didnt go to Hereford,didnt have a season ticket at Gillingham didnt have a poop in trap 4 of the Withdean portaloo.......i say come and join us everyone,you are all welcome to be part of the best club in the country!

anyway have you always been an Albion Fan
Yes. Always have,always will.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
My parents weren't really in to football, my Dad's a fairweather Leeds fan, even though he was born in Shoreham and has lived in Sussex all of his life. So I flirted with a few teams when I was really young, I remember having an Arsenal shirt and then remember liking Swansea for a while. I went to the Goldstone for my first match in the 1982-83 season with my Dad and my brother. We beat Spurs, 2-1 I think and my brother, being a spurs fan, cried all the way home. This game must've planted the seed. I didn't watch Brighton much over the next few years and even went through a phase of going to quite a few Palace games with a Palace supporting friend in my early teens, however it just didn't feel right.

I always used to look out for the Brighton scores and went to the occasional game from my mid-teens, so I considered myself a Brighton fan from then I suppose. But it probably wasn't until I went away to uni that supporting Brighton actually became part of my identity. After uni I started going to more games, circa the Withdean years and this year I have my first season ticket.

I do feel quite lucky that Brighton 'chose' me, particuarly given the flirtations with other teams and having been to a few Palace games, that could've ended in disaster. That's why I'm so keen that my young daughters aren't given the freedom of choice that I had when I was a kid. So, despite living in Bedfordshire, we all have season tickets at the Amex and as far as they are concerned any team other than Brighton is merely the 'opposition'.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Today, even with Sky Sports freebie weekend on Virgin, I couldn't even be bothered to watch Sky Sports news during the games.

Just ain't the same if Albion aren't playing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Today, even with Sky Sports freebie weekend on Virgin, I couldn't even be bothered to watch Sky Sports news during the games.

Just ain't the same if Albion aren't playing.

I know what you mean,suppose we will have to get used to it in the coming weeks ahead.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Grew up supporting my local team in Australia but always followed Brighton and listened to the games on seagulls player for as long as I can remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here