Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

have we sadly seen the last of uncle spielberg?

when if ever will he be back?

• this afternoon: to denounce this thread!

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • within a week: he's had more retirements tahn elton john

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • nope, he's a man of his word (two weeks at most)

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • we'll never see the likes of US again

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • before the end of the jumop season

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
tedebear said:
I remember the jokes, and a heck of a lot of them are superb, and I remember the laughs - but I don't remember the personal insults and piss taking of someone elses sadness/loss? Do you?

As others have said Tede, I don't really think there has been any insults here. It's just that US appears to have interpreted a couple of dead horse gags as a personal attack aimed directly at him. Which was not the case. Some piss-taking I agree, but I don't think this is any more than a natural response to an outlandishly histrionic over-reaction from Gareth.

Lokki 7 said:
Who is to decide what is and is not fair game for a wind up or joke? You?

No, it's you, obviously. And people who start threads like this.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
To be honest, I consider horse racing cruel.

So anyone who regularly supports horse racing, awash with false sentiment at the death of a horse that their only emotional connection to is the fact that it made them a fair bit of money in the past, smacks of double standards to me.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
afters said:
sake harveys he's only been gone for 2 hours don't get all emotional!
*sings* I just don't knoooow what to dooo with myself....
:(

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I think if you get extremely wound up by stuff that gets said on a messageboard like this by people who, in the main, are anonymous to you then it's time for a break anyway.

I agree that you shouldn't type what you wouldn't say to someone's face but not everyone plays by that sort of self discipline. Once you start doing it it's very easy not to get involved in perpetual bickering with people you will never agree with in a million years.

I enjoy the board much more as a result.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I put on the closed thread, it was the final straw in a long series of personal attacks he had to endure.

As a very strong follower of horse racing, he took exception to the " off to the superglue factory" type "humour".

I am not really sure where people get off on personal abuse.....you are right that people can always say things on here that they would not say in front of someone....that has happened to me......" Oh well its only a bit of fun!!!"

You will never stop it, but perhaps some people ought to really know better

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
bhaexpress said:
What personal insults were on that thread ? Damned if I can remember any and at no point did anybody mock the horse either. Seems some people take life a bit too seriously.

It was a HORSE ! Not a head of State !

I wasn't really referring to that thread when I talked about personal insults - just NSC in general... It should have read personal insults, and then yesterdays piss taking Desert Orchid thingy...

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lokki 7 said:
Unlike Tede, US and you my friend, I am not standing judgement on others.

I'm not standing in judgement? I just understand why US decided to have a break, thats all? Whats wrong with that?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Dave the Gaffer said:
As I put on the closed thread, it was the final straw in a long series of personal attacks he had to endure.

As a very strong follower of horse racing, he took exception to the " off to the superglue factory" type "humour".

Not sure much was personal yesterday. As an avid National hunt fan I was gutted Dessie has died but didn't stop me raising the odd smile to some of the comments on here.

The racingforum and 606 were the places for respectful threads yesterday. Not a footy message board where we all know whats coming. Marc Vivean Foe, George Best & Steve Irwin have all had respect threads highjacked. What chance did anyone seriously give Dessie?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Dave the Gaffer said:

I am not really sure where people get off on personal abuse.....you are right that people can always say things on here that they would not say in front of someone....that has happened to me......" Oh well its only a bit of fun!!!"

You will never stop it, but perhaps some people ought to really know better
Half of the jokes that kicked it all off were made by you!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
tedebear said:
I wasn't really referring to that thread when I talked about personal insults - just NSC in general... It should have read personal insults, and then yesterdays piss taking Desert Orchid thingy...

I don't recall seeing anything personal in that thread and as far as it goes, whilst personal insults are neither big or clever some people rather invite them don't they ? The likes of Looney who starts threads with a view to starting an argument but then resort to defamatory remarks deserve the abuse they ask for.

US was more than a little over sensitive as far as I'm concerned.

tedebear said:
I'm not standing in judgement?

Erm... with respect yes you are. On this thread and others you have said people should not be cracking these jokes as they are disrespectful and that NSC is full of idiots dragging down the quality of the board. I will find the quotes if you really want me to. I don't have a problem with that, it makes for good debate. It was LI's quip that I was answering.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Silent Bob said:
Half of the jokes that kicked it all off were made by you!

they were "puns" as explained at the time.

I suppose if you assume people take a pun like " reigning someone in" as a joke like " off to the superglue factory" , then I am as guilty as charged.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Trufflehound said:
:clap:

I actually believe this board is a much better place than it was 10 years ago, when - threads organising Fans United etc notwithstanding - it used to be largely full of childish dross, and knobs like Dave the Eeeeeeaaaggglee would swamp it every night with unintelligibly abusive drivel...
I wasn't going to join in with all this bollocks but I totally agree. It's quite fashionable for people,when upset, to say "NSC isn't as good as it used to be", when it is quite patently loads better than it was in 1999 when I first came across it. It DOES go up and down but I think it's been better than ever these last few months or so. Posters do come and go but that keeps it fresh - personally I'd ban everybody for six months once their post count crossed 5000.

Keep it up everybody!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? (I do hope no more animals die in the near future...):wave: :wave:

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
bhaexpress said:
I don't recall seeing anything personal in that thread and as far as it goes, whilst personal insults are neither big or clever some people rather invite them don't they ? The likes of Looney who starts threads with a view to starting an argument but then resort to defamatory remarks deserve the abuse they ask for.

US was more than a little over sensitive as far as I'm concerned.

I thought it a little personal when US explained his position but it all continued on, no one respected his thoughts at all! I agree he was a little over sensitive - but I can still see his point!

Isn't Looney a little different though? Different to someone like US and his efforts around here? Not saying people should be treated differently but we know what to expect from Looney and its usually quite funny anyhow...

afters said:
that's lokki and me then. two finer fellas you couldn't hope to meet LI.
I'm sure that's true, you both come across as hearty fellows on here. But baiting Gareth when he made it perfectly clear he wasn't appreciating it falls under the category of going too far. Would be a nice touch if you put a lid on it now and extended the olive branch to our beloved tipster and got him back on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here