Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Have we been ripped off?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sorry, no further juicy update available on Das Guttergate.

Waiting for invoice or other request for payment. Will let you know how it goes.

Next episode starts tomorrow with decking and fence work. From one end of the scale to the other - I have got a really good bloke booked in for 2+ days work charging me only £250 labour. Travis Perkins definitely saw me coming though with £900 cost for materials. No German goo but apparently decking boards and fence posts cost a fortune these days too...

I was in AVG at Ringmer couple of weeks ago, masses of stock and very good trade prices

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Yes, sagging beam is a big concern (not yet shared with Mrs G..!!).

Conservatory is very nice so don’t want to change it.

Bloke said it would cost about £5K to fix the beam. Does that sound right?
ef4a27cc0d1a8dc0962848a85fde51f2.jpg

£3K maybe, more then 3.5K and they are taking the mick.

Its tricky to know exactly what needs to be done without exposing the area, the opening looks to be ~2 metres, but the beam could be much bigger if the walls either side are not solid walls. On the surface it looks a straightforward job.

Replacing the beam ~2K, maybe 2.5K max
==================================
Structural Engineer calculations I would think would be around £300 - £500 toward the higher end if a site visit is needed, I've had calcs based on photos and measurements which saves £200.
The last steels I bought were to span a 3m opening to new extension so 3.2m x 2 (178 X 102 X 19 UB), it was 2 years ago but without the anti-rust paint (<£50) it was £235, inc VAT from Denmay Steel.
The wall will need supporting so maybe 5-6 Acrows with Strongboys rented for 2 days - ~£100
Maybe a padstone x 2 - ~£50
Bit of sand cement and maybe some slates or similar for packing - £20
2 day job with 2 on it. - £800

Obviously this will leave a safely supported wall but looking a mess.

Making good ~£300
===============
Plaster board x 2 (maybe on need 1) - £15
Bag of plaster - £8
Corner beads x 2 - £6
1 day job 1 on it - £200

If you need it painted then stick another £250 for a painter, as both sides of the wall may need repainting.

The original quote is 3k - 5k, if 3k and that includes making good then that seems reasonable, anything more unless there is a massive mess of wires, pipes etc to deal with is a bit high.

EDIT
Forgot to say building control will have a fee if you want to use BC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here