Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Have we been ripped off?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Am I right in smelling a Siberian hamster? Or does this sound legit?

ALL advice very welcome.

depends how long your gutter is...
GreenhouseStructuresConleysGable7500.jpg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
yes, yes you have. all tradespeople are busy at the moment so rip off culture is rife.

unless he's lined your gutter with a cocaine-cement mix and gold leaf.

you don't have a phone number for this guy do you???

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes you have, almost every job I go to I'm either fixing someone's bodge or I notice a bodge. I'm currently doing some plumbing at a friend's house and the builders are dodgy as f***! I can tell within seconds if someone's legit

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Pulled this anaconda of roots out of a rainwater pipe the other day..20210608_110049.jpg20210608_111300.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Any tradesman that advertise the prefix “friendly” in their promotion guff is just so much bollocks. They’re not a f***ing dating agency for God’s sake. Use the terms professional, reliable, trustworthy, competitive by all means. Better still, why not add cowboy, con man, rip off merchant just so everyone knows where they stand. :drink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mrs G arranged for our local friendly builder/roofer to come and fix the gutter that runs between our house and conservatory.

One bloke came and worked for 90mins. He swept out the gutter and then “painted” it with some stuff he mixed up in a large bucket. A young lad carried a couple of things and watched.

£700.

Apparently the main cost was the stuff that he poured in/painted on... it “comes from Germany and costs £500”...

ALL advice very welcome.

I had a new fascia and gutter installed on two walls about 6 years ago. Took a couple of hours and cost £200.

Mind you the tit did cover the gap between roof and wall that allows ventilation in the attic with the new fascia, so I now have condensation issues :facepalm:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Mrs G arranged for our local friendly builder/roofer to come and fix the gutter that runs between our house and conservatory.

One bloke came and worked for 90mins. He swept out the gutter and then “painted” it with some stuff he mixed up in a large bucket. A young lad carried a couple of things and watched.

£700.

Apparently the main cost was the stuff that he poured in/painted on... it “comes from Germany and costs £500”...

ALL advice very welcome.

Have you ever sent your bank details to a Nigerian Prince?

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
So you've paid £700 to this cowboy and £545 to another cowboy to remove a couple of Polycarbonate windows? You don't even sound pissed off about it! Don't take this the wrong way but you do sound a bit naive and gullible. This 'magic german stuff' sounds like a load of old guff to me, If I was getting charged that much I'd expect him to fly in a 6ft blonde stripper called Magda from Prague and I'd expect her to apply the stuff with her tits whilst noshing me off and pissing on my balls. It doesn't sound like you've been noshed off by Magda so I'm going with ripped off.

From the pictures you've posted I'm fairly confident anyone with even rudimentary DIY skills could probably fix that problem in half a day for less than £100.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Probably Dicht Fix, waterproof tar-type paint that seals joints even under water, or similar.
German product but you can buy a tin on Amazon or E-Bay for £12/ £13 a tin.
Ask him what he's used, and refuse to pay if its leaking on the downpipe, hes ripping the arse out of you.

Yes my Brother in law used that to fix his leaking flat roof. Very good it was but he only paid £30 for a 20 litre tub !!

Just tell him the bill is outrageous AND it still leaked. Give him £250 (after he fixes the leak) and say that's it. Unless he gives you an itemised bill with evidence of this wonderful £500 a tin wonder paint that needs to be applied with a paint brush made of unicorn hair then he'll stand no chance of taking you to the small claims court, which is his only option (other than bad mouthing you to his mates).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

£700.

ALL advice very welcome.
Any jobs in the garden needed....ive got some tools by Wolf Garten...good German company

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here