Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Albion progressed this season?

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

• Yep - we've moved forward

Votes: 443 89.0%
  • No - we're treading water

Votes: 54 10.8%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Stagnating and making up the numbers spring to mind, it's a money league and we're one of the begging boys I'm afraid, same points as last year isn't progress it's all about results
Regards
DF

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Stagnating and making up the numbers spring to mind, it's a money league and we're one of the begging boys I'm afraid, same points as last year isn't progress it's all about results
Regards
DF

I think we have progressed in every way, except the important one which is the bottom line, and it's exactly your point. Losing in style is still losing. You may also add the standard gets better year and we've only just kept up. the bottom three being some way adrift is neither here nor there if we're expecting to progress.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Interesting that the Club aspire to a top ten position. Aston Villa, who I thought had a cracking season with 16 wins and some great results, finished 11th 4 points adrift of 10th position. It's a tough ask. :shrug:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think we have progressed in every way, except the important one which is the bottom line, and it's exactly your point. Losing in style is still losing. You may also add the standard gets better year and we've only just kept up. the bottom three being some way adrift is neither here nor there if we're expecting to progress.

Yep agree with all this, if we are to start looking at finishing higher up the league and securing safety by Easter we need to make the teams around us pay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Interesting that the Club aspire to a top ten position. Aston Villa, who I thought had a cracking season with 16 wins and some great results, finished 11th 4 points adrift of 10th position. It's a tough ask. :shrug:

Why are we ignoring the newly promoted club who finished 9th? It might be inconvenient to talk about, but a newly promoted team has achieved a top 10 position within a year of promotion. They were much better than we have been immediately and their team was largely the team from the Championship.

We underachieved last season and we need to be 12th or so next season to have really progressed.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Why are we ignoring the newly promoted club who finished 9th? It might be inconvenient to talk about, but a newly promoted team has achieved a top 10 position within a year of promotion. They were much better than we have been immediately and their team was largely the team from the Championship.

We underachieved last season and we need to be 12th or so next season to have really progressed.

But same could be said of Sheff U who finished 9th and then have been relegated bottom of the pile. It's difficult to assess a newly promoted Club - I won't be expecting Leeds to go down next season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We've got two players who have progressed from our academy to the senior men's squads of England and Spain. That, if nothing else is, is surely progress?

No, no, no - only the final league position matters, nothing else. Not that, not the academy, not the U18s or U23s, not our defensive record, player development, style of play or even the quality of pies. :shrug:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
But same could be said of Sheff U who finished 9th and then have been relegated bottom of the pile. It's difficult to assess a newly promoted Club - I won't be expecting Leeds to go down next season.

Sure, but we never achieved what those two did. Maybe Leeds will struggle next season, I agree they won't be getting relegated. But we are yet to have a single PL season that those two have enjoyed. Or Burnley when they finished 7th. I hope we'll get higher in the table next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

No, no, no - only the final league position matters, nothing else. Not that, not the academy, not the U18s or U23s, not our defensive record, player development, style of play or even the quality of pies. :shrug:

Off the pitch improvements are great - but the reality is that the position in the table is the thing which informs everything else about the football club. If we don't get better results overall next season, everything off the pitch will be greatly compromised. We have to maintain the second half of the season form. We were rubbish in the first half of the season, blame whatever you like but the reality is that if we'd carried on like that we would have really struggled to draw our way to safety.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Amusingly, same old same old 16th place. Pivotal season up-coming. Either the Championship-level wage-cap goes, or the talent goes - with nobody very obvious waiting in the wings

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Amusingly, same old same old 16th place. Pivotal season up-coming. Either the Championship-level wage-cap goes, or the talent goes - with nobody very obvious waiting in the wings

“Every league, there are clubs who have bigger finances and different resources. But that’s the beauty of football — and you have to use what you have to try to be competitive and do your best to find a way to beat the system. which is the financial power. But as you can imagine, that does not just happen, it takes weeks, days, or months. It takes a bit of time — that’s what we’re trying to do.”

- Graham Potter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sure, but we never achieved what those two did. Maybe Leeds will struggle next season, I agree they won't be getting relegated. But we are yet to have a single PL season that those two have enjoyed. Or Burnley when they finished 7th. I hope we'll get higher in the table next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

Off the pitch improvements are great - but the reality is that the position in the table is the thing which informs everything else about the football club. If we don't get better results overall next season, everything off the pitch will be greatly compromised. We have to maintain the second half of the season form. We were rubbish in the first half of the season, blame whatever you like but the reality is that if we'd carried on like that we would have really struggled to draw our way to safety.

I'd like us to have a huge improvement, but it's unlikely - at best I suspect (and hope) we'll see incremental improvement in results and continued progress with everything else. I'd take a solid, say, 12th-13th, with no real threat of relegation at any point as long as the rest of the stuff continues on it's upward plane - it's a long term plan/vision.

Jez0808

May 19, 2021
What a great season great football entertaining and a joy to watch under potter rather be in are shoes than a lot of other clubs be proud of what we have achieved under bloom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The final verdict: Did Albion progress in the 2020/21 season?

Sort of like Sheffield United then.

In other words, get a new owner with deeper pockets.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

The idea that a club with a wages bill of nearly. £48K a week on average is “championship level” is pushing it a bit.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Their wage bill in the Champ was pretty eye popping so curious as to whether they outspent us this season. And they couldn’t beat us. Twice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here