Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Albion progressed this season?

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

• Yep - we've moved forward

Votes: 443 89.0%
  • No - we're treading water

Votes: 54 10.8%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Can’t help but notice that those suggesting, on this thread, that they will wait and see how many points we end up with before maybe accepting that we have progressed, are those that have been critical, dismissive even, of GP almost from the moment he was appointed. Well that’s my take anyway.

conspiracy.jpeg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s a mixed picture.

In my view, despite loving what Hughton did for us, by the end I felt we could only improve with a different manager.

Have we improved after Potter’s first season? Probably, yes. But it has been small baby steps since last season and we are still far too predictable to set up against. And boy do we blow hot and cold.

So I would say, yes. Just. Next season we have to do better.

Who knows, we may win the next 4. Let’s hope so, but let’s put performances together when it matters earlier in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Have we improved after Potter’s first season? Probably, yes. But it has been small baby steps since last season and we are still far too predictable to set up against. And boy do we blow hot and cold.

The ‘hot & cold’ thing is very valid but with retrospect, is very consistent and can be tracked. This season we have struggled against the bottom and top 3 sides. Most other sides have found it very tough against us. The Sheff Utd & Leeds results were easy to predict because we have been recording those results all season.

The ‘hot & cold’ thing could also be thrown at our finishing as well as our results, although mostly cold.

What is definitely not ‘hot and cold’ is the overall level of our performances (and I am clearly excluding finishing which is beyond us this season). Out of 34 games, I’d say that in 28, we’ve been very good or brilliant. Even games such as the Sheff Utd home match would have produced enough good chances for a front 3 of, say, Kane, Son & Bale to win it 6-0.
Potter also has stunning bouncebackability. We rarely go on a bad run and usually put an amazing performance on in the next game or the one after that following a disappointing result. It’s always entertaining to watch the short-termist and emotional fires of the alarmist and highly reactive Potter-Out-Campaign extinguished as we go from a poor performance against a bottom 3 to beating a team like Spurs, Liverpool or Leeds. Hughton got us in a tailspin at the end of the 2018/19 season and was unable to pull out, Potter never allows a bad run to flourish.

Potter needs to find a way through the low block. It’s simple to set-up against us, and with the lowest shooting accuracy in the EPL, the opposition know they can play the percentage game and most likely get a draw or with luck (Palace & West Brom) get a win. The two Newcastle matches show you what ‘top six’ shooting gets you against a low block, I can’t think of any other fixture this season where our finishing was anywhere near that mark but if it had have been, we’d be fighting for a European place.

However, if you’re not prepared to play a low block and think that Potter should be setting his team around how you play, you normally get totally outperformed. No one disputes that Biesla is the greatest manager on the planet (and probably all time), yet because he won’t employ the low block, his teams don’t stand a chance against Potter’s unless they get super lucky. Even Klopp got out-thought twice.

That’s progress of sorts.

Last edited:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, you’re one of the “never good enough” posters. Not hard to spot as there aren’t that many, but I amuse myself by looking out for the negative posts after a bad result and pretty well feck all after a good one.

Very assured performance, never looked like conceding.

Great goal from Welbeck too.

Obviously you have selective vision as this is from just this weekend.

Maybe because when we win a game I don't start a love in, you think that's feck all?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Our best games this year are an improvement on last years. But the consistency of them needs to be better.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
You can't argue with points and finishing position as a solid, statistical measure of progress. No problem.

But as others have stressed, there are lots of additional measures that to me are significant:

- potential. We look like a squad that can, and will, perform better. We've shown adaptability and flexibility in shape shifting to GP's tactical changes that has seen us outthink masterminds like Klopp (4 points) and Bielsa (6 points), as well that titan of the whiteboard Steve Bruce :) (6 points)

- depth. For a club of our size, we have developed a squad that has been able to cope with injuries to two of our top performers from the first part of the season (Lamptey, March), seen our first choice keeper replaced by a young U23 keeper who wasn't even third choice at the start of the season, and managed when two of last season's breakthrough talents (Alzate and Connolly) have struggled.

- performances. We've had a handful of bad games where the team has played poorly. The rest have been about those "fine margins", where generally we've played well or really well, and only failed to pick up more points due to patchy game management and the enduring frustration of poor finishing. We're great to watch - certainly the most entertaining I've seen in my 45 years of watching the Albion.

- youth. We are developing talent in-house, and have fielded one of the youngest teams seen at the Albion for many a year, and one of the youngest in the Premier League. Pretty much all these players can improve further, particularly if the likes of Lallana and Welbeck stick around and share their experience.

By all these yardsticks we are progressing. We also have one of the most promising younger English managers to have emerged in recent years.
Hope we finish with a flourish (above Palace with 42 points will do me), but even if we don't, next season is looking really exciting.
UTA :albion2:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Everyone is saying that Brighton's league position belies our true quality.

When I say everyone, I mean managers of opposing teams, fans of opposing teams, pundits and journalists. We know it ourselves. When you look at the teams in the premier league, we are the only one whose total seasons in the top flight still number in single digits. This in part is why other teams always have a feeling of chagrin when we beat them and even do the double over them (Newcastle 89 seasons up there, beaten twice (6-nil aggregate), Leeds 51 seasons, beaten home and away, Brighton a mere 8 seasons in the top division). Even though we often had the largest average attendances of any team when we were in the Championship, we are still considered a small club. When we got promoted, many predicted that we would go straight back down. That didn't happen. And now Potter is moulding us into a force to be reckoned with.

I'm feeling very optimistic and excited about what next season will bring. Hoping no one comes in and poaches Potter from us at this critical juncture. He was brought in to take us to the next level. He hasn't quite done it yet, but you can feel it's coming. He needs at least another season to do it (preferably more). It would be a shame if he left just as we were on the cusp of something incredible.

Only 9 posts in 5 years, but a very good one.

You can't argue with points and finishing position as a solid, statistical measure of progress. No problem.

But as others have stressed, there are lots of additional measures that to me are significant:

- potential. We look like a squad that can, and will, perform better. We've shown adaptability and flexibility in shape shifting to GP's tactical changes that has seen us outthink masterminds like Klopp (4 points) and Bielsa (6 points), as well that titan of the whiteboard Steve Bruce :) (6 points)

- depth. For a club of our size, we have developed a squad that has been able to cope with injuries to two of our top performers from the first part of the season (Lamptey, March), seen our first choice keeper replaced by a young U23 keeper who wasn't even third choice at the start of the season, and managed when two of last season's breakthrough talents (Alzate and Connolly) have struggled.

- performances. We've had a handful of bad games where the team has played poorly. The rest have been about those "fine margins", where generally we've played well or really well, and only failed to pick up more points due to patchy game management and the enduring frustration of poor finishing. We're great to watch - certainly the most entertaining I've seen in my 45 years of watching the Albion.

- youth. We are developing talent in-house, and have fielded one of the youngest teams seen at the Albion for many a year, and one of the youngest in the Premier League. Pretty much all these players can improve further, particularly if the likes of Lallana and Welbeck stick around and share their experience.

By all these yardsticks we are progressing. We also have one of the most promising younger English managers to have emerged in recent years.
Hope we finish with a flourish (above Palace with 42 points will do me), but even if we don't, next season is looking really exciting.
UTA :albion2:

Can’t disagree - although I disagree about our current side being the most entertaining in 45 years. The side in 81/82 finishing 13th with 13 wins & 13 draws finishing on 52 points was certainly a notch up on the current team .... unfortunately that was only for one season! Who knows next year maybe we can move forward & upward. If I was the Manager I would have a large fixture list & table of that season in the dressing room to incentivise our squad to be the best BHA team so far.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Clear improvements in so many areas. I'll be bold and say we will finish above West Ham next season providing we don't lose any of the squad

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The ‘hot & cold’ thing is very valid but with retrospect, is very consistent and can be tracked. This season we have struggled against the bottom and top 3 sides. Most other sides have found it very tough against us. The Sheff Utd & Leeds results were easy to predict because we have been recording those results all season.

The ‘hot & cold’ thing could also be thrown at our finishing as well as our results, although mostly cold.

What is definitely not ‘hot and cold’ is the overall level of our performances (and I am clearly excluding finishing which is beyond us this season). Out of 34 games, I’d say that in 28, we’ve been very good or brilliant. Even games such as the Sheff Utd home match would have produced enough good chances for a front 3 of, say, Kane, Son & Bale to win it 6-0.
Potter also has stunning bouncebackability. We rarely go on a bad run and usually put an amazing performance on in the next game or the one after that following a disappointing result. It’s always entertaining to watch the short-termist and emotional fires of the alarmist and highly reactive Potter-Out-Campaign extinguished as we go from a poor performance against a bottom 3 to beating a team like Spurs, Liverpool or Leeds. Hughton got us in a tailspin at the end of the 2018/19 season and was unable to pull out, Potter never allows a bad run to flourish.

Potter needs to find a way through the low block. It’s simple to set-up against us, and with the lowest shooting accuracy in the EPL, the opposition know they can play the percentage game and most likely get a draw or with luck (Palace & West Brom) get a win. The two Newcastle matches show you what ‘top six’ shooting gets you against a low block, I can’t think of any other fixture this season where our finishing was anywhere near that mark but if it had have been, we’d be fighting for a European place.

However, if you’re not prepared to play a low block and think that Potter should be setting his team around how you play, you normally get totally outperformed. No one disputes that Biesla is the greatest manager on the planet (and probably all time), yet because he won’t employ the low block, his teams don’t stand a chance against Potter’s unless they get super lucky. Even Klopp got out-thought twice.

That’s progress of sorts.

With the exception of the words brilliant and amazing, I agree with a lot of this post.

I think Potter is still learning his trade and it will be interesting to see if he can progress as well. He is sometimes found out - but then again, all coaches are. The second half of the season - probably since after the Spurs game - we have been much better. Up until that point, I was thinking that Potter did not have what it took to make us a safe Premier League side. Now, for me, the jury is out. We'll see. But the signs are good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With the exception of the words brilliant and amazing, I agree with a lot of this post.

I think Potter is still learning his trade and it will be interesting to see if he can progress as well. He is sometimes found out - but then again, all coaches are. The second half of the season - probably since after the Spurs game - we have been much better. Up until that point, I was thinking that Potter did not have what it took to make us a safe Premier League side. Now, for me, the jury is out. We'll see. But the signs are good.

This.

I don't think a lot of us are very far apart. The second half of the season was far better than the first so credit there, but we have to acknowledge our weaknesses and not brush them under the carpet.

What will be interesting is if we're having this exact same conversation once again this time next year.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think its too soon to know. If as I suspect this is the early days of the emergence of our best ever side, then next season we will punch on and finish much higher. If not we have still improved the style, lowered the average age, produced young players who we can resell so yes its an improvement. Time will tell how significant of one it is.

My money is on huge...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bingo.

And I’ve tried asking these guys what they actually expect. “Keep us up”. Ok, we’ve done that every season in the PL now. “More points”. Well we’re pretty damn close to breaking the records again. “Poor at set pieces”, we fixed that. “Away record”. Fixed that. “Home record”.. a fair criticism but ignoring the covid situation this season and that other clubs also have depleted home records this year.

“We’re not top 10 like we was promised”. I think that’s the biggest schism. It’s like some can’t grasp what an actual long goal is.

We can still beat our points tally. But even if we don’t, we have made huge strides on and off the pitch again, and the trajectory is there for all to see. We are blessed to have this manager with this owner and an incredible support staff with Barber and Dan Ashworth. All making huge strides at improving our club. Honestly a minority of our fans do come across as ungrateful.

The top 10 discussion, is unfair when talking about whether GP has been a success or not.

To my knowledge he wisely never claimed we’d be in the top 10.

It was purely TB and/or PB mentioning it as their mission or aspiration for the club.

Separately, the after-timing accusation is made in the wrong context in pro/anti-Potter threads.

After-timing would be someone lying that they’d always been pro Potter, when not so long ago they’d said the opposite.

Shirley analytical football supporters can shift their opinion if won over?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This.

I don't think a lot of us are very far apart. The second half of the season was far better than the first so credit there, but we have to acknowledge our weaknesses and not brush them under the carpet.

What will be interesting is if we're having this exact same conversation once again this time next year.

Let us just imagine for a moment that this time next year we are in EXACTLY the same position.

Would you be calling for Potter to be sacked?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can’t disagree - although I disagree about our current side being the most entertaining in 45 years. The side in 81/82 finishing 13th with 13 wins & 13 draws finishing on 52 points was certainly a notch up on the current team .... unfortunately that was only for one season!

The team certainly weren’t ‘up a notch’ in their last 14 games winning just two and scoring only 10. This year’s vintage has already surpassed that in terms of victories and equalled the goals scored with four games to go in a more competitive era.

However, we all have our own ways of measuring entertainment. An interesting comparison of the two different eras is here. Which match do you find more entertaining?

I suspect many will pick the ‘82 game as being the more entertaining despite the obvious drop in pitch quality, skill, fitness, tactics, shots, control, passing and goals compared with the fixture this season because there was no crowd.

https://youtu.be/fCsrc7zLmWE

https://youtu.be/_2t489AY06k

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
This.

If we do progress up the table next year, there'll be people complaining that a different manager could have got us into the Europa League.

For that matter, even if we come second there'll be somebody who thinks Steve Bruce could have got us past Man City by shouting at the players more.

I think we'll all be much happier having those arguments than trying to divine progress from a record shortfall against xG and an unchanged points tally though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can’t help but notice that those suggesting, on this thread, that they will wait and see how many points we end up with before maybe accepting that we have progressed, are those that have been critical, dismissive even, of GP almost from the moment he was appointed. Well that’s my take anyway.

Judging if we’ve made progress just on the points tally is absolutely offensive to both my eyes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here