Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Albion progressed this season?

Have Albion made positive progress this season?

• Yep - we've moved forward

Votes: 443 89.0%
  • No - we're treading water

Votes: 54 10.8%
  • No - we've regressed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would love it, I don’t demand or expect it. It’s a Project it’ll take more than two seasons. Maybe it will happen next season but I can wait longer without demanding a change of manager.

I don't expect it either. Brighton fan here. We're not Man U.

But not demand?

You demanded better performances than the Hughton years. Most of us did. I find it odd that we demand better performances but not better results. It's like being satisfied with half the job.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't think the original question is as relevant as it would be because of Covid consequences. For me, staying up was the main item on the wish list.

A few clubs have done better like ManUre, West Ham, Leeds and the wankpuffins bit mostly for me the teams are there or thereabouts as expected.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't expect it either. Brighton fan here. We're not Man U.

But not demand?

You demanded better performances than the Hughton years. Most of us did. I find it odd that we demand better performances but not better results. It's like being satisfied with half the job.

You haven’t noticed the gradual improvement that has accelerated over the last few months? We are getting there, with two key players out too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You haven’t noticed the gradual improvement that has accelerated over the last few months? We are getting there, with two key players out too.

You haven't answered the question. What's the point in matching the bigger clubs in terms of performance if you don't want to emulate their results? It's madness. Imagine it as ordering stuff from a shop.

"Yeah, I'd like the Man City passing, the Arsenal shape and the Liverpool pressing".

"That'll be £66.99 sir. Would you like the results? We're doing a special. Only another twenty quid"

"Nah, I don't think I'll bother".

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You haven't answered the question. What's the point in matching the bigger clubs in terms of performance if you don't want to emulate their results? It's madness. Imagine it as ordering stuff from a shop.

"Yeah, I'd like the Man City passing, the Arsenal shape and the Liverpool pressing".

"That'll be £66.99 sir. Would you like the results? We're doing a special. Only another twenty quid"

The fact that the results are slowly coming, with blips that even big clubs get, is proof that my patience is being rewarded, no?

I expect nothing but now watch games knowing we are in with a chance in virtually every game. MASSIVE improvement from settling for being penned in for 90 mins hoping for a break but settling for a 0-0 or a narrow defeat to keep the goal difference down before a ball is kicked.

We are so far apart on this that maybe we should just agree to ignore each others posts, it must be pretty dull for most who read NSC watching us go round and round in circles?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The fact that the results are slowly coming, with blips that even big clubs get, is proof that my patience is being rewarded, no?

I expect nothing but now watch games knowing we are in with a chance in virtually every game. MASSIVE improvement from settling for being penned in for 90 mins hoping for a break but settling for a 0-0 or a narrow defeat to keep the goal difference down before a ball is kicked.

We're in with a chance against anyone who doesn't park the bus. Against them we're shit. We're giving Hollywood a good seeing to and barely getting it up when we're back home with the wife.

Sort that and you and I will agree.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We're in with a chance against anyone who doesn't park the bus. Against them we're shit. We're giving Hollywood a good seeing to and barely getting it up when we're back home with the wife.

Sort that and you and I will agree.

You keep banging on about Leicester.....if our recruitment team were half as good we could have done a Leicester this season. If we had a Vardy and a Mahrez, can you imagine?.

In that respect Potter has been sold VERY short :lolol:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

It's an interesting question this, actually. At the end of the day, one one team can win the league, one team can win any given game. Maybe a few can get into Europe or win promotion depending what you're looking for.

Clearly, if we rely on results to make us happy, we're all screwed (personally I wallow in my pit of despair for reasons entirely unrelated to football, but that's not the point). Realistically most of us are going to see as many or more defeats than we do losses, and a chat with any supporter of a top 6 side will show you that winning more than you lose doesn't bring you happiness because you get used to it and demand more. So we either have to brace ourselves for constant disappointment, or we find satisfaction somewhere other than results.

If I sound unreasonably phlegmatic about this, you should probably understand that there's a good reason you won't often see me posting on here after we lose, and that because I'm only capable of writing large swear words.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Screenshot_20210503_172747_com.android.chrome_edit_126949069559274.jpg

Genuinely glad to see that the number of fans think we have progressed is still at 90% after almost doubling the number of votes since yesterday.

Oh and the wankpuffin from Scumsville up the road is back and had his vote.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's an interesting question this, actually. At the end of the day, one one team can win the league, one team can win any given game. Maybe a few can get into Europe or win promotion depending what you're looking for.

Clearly, if we rely on results to make us happy, we're all screwed (personally I wallow in my pit of despair for reasons entirely unrelated to football, but that's not the point). Realistically most of us are going to see as many or more defeats than we do losses, and a chat with any supporter of a top 6 side will show you that winning more than you lose doesn't bring you happiness because you get used to it and demand more. So we either have to brace ourselves for constant disappointment, or we find satisfaction somewhere other than results.

If I sound unreasonably phlegmatic about this, you should probably understand that there's a good reason you won't often see me posting on here after we lose, and that because I'm only capable of writing large swear words.

Backing that up, Spurs, Arsenal and Everton have spent countless £100m’s each on players, top managers or the next best thing managers .... yet each is a million miles away from winning an EPL or CL.

Going by their fans fora and radio phone ins (when Bale isn’t a world beater against ..... the Blades :lolol:), they’re moaners, at war with each other in aggressive non-debates and bitterly hateful towards a load of their own players.

I’m glad the Albion don’t suffer their pain and misery of every August believing we’re on the cusp of greatness, a breakthrough season, then suffering a slow death of a thousand cuts over the following 9 months. For decades.

For many of us, modest expectations, then every little success is great.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don’t imagine they demanded or expected it, but it happened. Are you saying it won’t for us? How long has Dyche been at Burnley? Were fans calling for his head like some of ours are after two seasons?

It’s the entitlement that does my head in
Personally I haven’t seen one Albion fan demand a top ten finish on here or anywhere else maybe you could point out the post or posts. I’ve seen plenty have a moan over certain results which a normal part of being a football fan. Football supporters are generally fickle creatures it only took a season and a half of PL football for Hughton’s head to put on the chopping block despite some fine results in his last season. I really don’t think I’ve ever met an entitled Albion fan in 40 years we have mostly been shite with a few high moments in between.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yes, I think we've progressed. I never used to get cramp due to my muscles being so tense. I've never been this frustrated watching us, knowing that our points don't reflect how well we actually play now.
My son seems to be becoming a member of the 'no goals, ***t game' school. Don't get me wrong his team is BHA but because he is young & especially over the last year, football has been through the eyes of Xbox & TV. He doesn't seem to see how much we have improved technically as a team but will happily contradict his "live match' commentary when he watches replays on YouTube. We'll both watch it on TV, & he'll see negatives, until he sees it back again & realises that he was harsh.
Once we get back in the ground he won't give a ***t whether we win, lose or draw though. Real life will take over the fake crowd noise & the table position will fall into the background again!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Palace have been in this division 8 years now and never finish in the top 10, in fact they some how have 1 more point than Brighton this season.
I think the expectations are a bit high on here but I wouldn't be surprised if a mid table position happens next season.
This is officially the most successful period in the clubs history having virtually achieved a 5th consecutive season in the top flight in an entertaining manner. I am quite satisfied with the progress of the club.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I don’t imagine they demanded or expected it, but it happened. Are you saying it won’t for us? How long has Dyche been at Burnley? Were fans calling for his head like some of ours are after two seasons?

It’s the entitlement that does my head in

I don't think anyone here is demanding it for us or expect it for us?

I do, however, think it's very possible that we can do it. I don't think it's something we can only 'dream' of or we need to 'switch allegiance to a bigger and better funded club' seeing as Burnley have achieved it twice recently.

I'm sure at some point some Burnley fans were calling for his head but not the majority who were probably either 'Pro' Dyche or somewhat neutral, a bit like our fanbase is with Potter.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Personally I haven’t seen one Albion fan demand a top ten finish on here or anywhere else maybe you could point out the post or posts. I’ve seen plenty have a moan over certain results which a normal part of being a football fan. Football supporters are generally fickle creatures it only took a season and a half of PL football for Hughton’s head to put on the chopping block despite some fine results in his last season. I really don’t think I’ve ever met an entitled Albion fan in 40 years we have mostly been shite with a few high moments in between.

Then why are you always moaning about the manager and the team then? What exactly do you expect of a Brighton team in the Premier League?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Football supporters are generally fickle creatures it only took a season and a half of PL football for Hughton’s head to put on the chopping block despite some fine results in his last season. I really don’t think I’ve ever met an entitled Albion fan in 40 years we have mostly been shite with a few high moments in between.

He also had some god awful results in the second half. To be honest, I don't remember many 'Hughton Out' calls even those the last few games vs Southampton, Cardiff etc.. were just awful beyond measure. Even on here. Maybe that just me. I certainly wasn't after his head and shocked by his sacking. But with 'Captain Hindsights 10/10 Rearview Vision' was it right? 100% imo.

But the analogy posted earlier about the rear extension on the house was a good one. We are 'in transition' and yes, results are whats needed, but i think you have to give the board some credit and slack and take a slightly longer picture to see what TB, PB, DA are building here.

I watched the Chelsea game with a Chelsea supporting mate and he was raving about us. I cannot remember that ever before, a top 6 club fan saying that we play some really nice football.. You can't bottle it and sell it, nor will it give you more points. But its better than the 'anti-football' chants and comments we've heard in the past and gives you something money can't buy: PRIDE.
:albion2:

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I have really enjoyed the games I have watched this season. Yes there was frustration in how many times we were robbed of the results we seemed to warrant, but compared to feeling that we got what what we deserved when we lost, it was at least a bit better. We have to do better against the bottom teams next season, GP needs to understand that learning to win when the other side is out to negate us is his next skill to improve. No reason to think he cannot, look forward to finding out.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
He also had some god awful results in the second half. To be honest, I don't remember many 'Hughton Out' calls even those the last few games vs Southampton, Cardiff etc.. were just awful beyond measure. Even on here. Maybe that just me. I certainly wasn't after his head and shocked by his sacking. But with 'Captain Hindsights 10/10 Rearview Vision' was it right? 100% imo.

Interestingly, that season, we had an average league position of 13.73 but finished the season so poorly that we ended up 17th.

This season we have had an average league position of 15.75 and could well end up 17th (although I think we will finish higher).

In that season we had some torrid results but this season we have too.

Yet the narrative is very different between the two seasons.

I think the main difference is the performances were so bad in the run in under Hughton, whereas with Potter when we play badly it's not actually that bad. Under Hughton, I think most of us didn't see a long term plan for success. Whereas with Potter, I think most of us see the potential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here