Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Hating' the Premier League

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will your hatred of the Premier League suddenly disappear if we were in it, and playing in the top tier against the best teams every week?
I am most definitely one of the 'haters', unashamedly so.

To me all the PL is, is a means to repay TB quicker, for which I would love it.

But as [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] says it's not a league to win, it's just a means to an end, which is pretty depressing.

My wish would be to win the Championship well, and enter the PL in a competitive position.
All the time that's not possible I'd be happy where we are and enjoy the ride should that change.

But as I always say, that's easy for me, it's not my £120m.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I love the Championship because on any given weekend there are almost no 'banker' games, anyone, it seems, can beat anyone else if they play well (with the possible exception of Peterborough it would seem!). If we got to the Premiership that dynamic changes massively, and I suspect that with the current squad we might struggle over the season. But I doubt we would be embarrassed on a regular basis (but fully expect the odd bashing a la Anfield last season), and with the current squad I honestly believe that we would be a solid mid-lower half of the table. And yes, my glass is always at least half full!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair comments. Most of the teams seem to have the sole ambition of not getting relegated. Exciting eh?

Same as in Spain, Scotland, Italy, France. Germany has been a freak anomaly over the last few years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When you're drawing with Stoke in the 87th minute in the penultimate game of the season and staring relegation in the face as Bolton are winning and in the space of 2 minutes, you score, they concede and all of a sudden you've got hope, yes it's exciting.

Last game of the season and you're back in the relegation zone at half time, you're 2-1 up going into time added on at Man City and you lose 3-2 and for a short while you don't know the score from the Bolton game, that's squeaky bum time and yes it's exciting.

When you have a local derby full of hatred, venom, blood, guts and thunder and you put in a performance as we did yesterday (ignore the biased shit on MOTD), yes it's exciting.

We've signed players we could only have dreamed about even last year and we're looking at a new ground hopefully not too far from where we are now.

Last season we beat Ch***ea, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Spurs.

Yes it's exciting.:thumbsup:

Sounds pretty exciting to be fair, but no blah blah *go with the crowd* it's the Premiershit so you must be wrong, even though you just experienced for yourself and we have no experience of it. L O L.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same as in Spain, Scotland, Italy, France. Germany has been a freak anomaly over the last few years.

In my opinion teams in the Premiership seem much more desperate to avoid relegation than any of those leagues you mention.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd have thought TB would appreciate a bit of his cash back.
I'm not sure he would. What's he going to do with it? He'd probably prefer the team to do well, and the value of the club is still there should he want to sell it one day.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont hate the prem per se. I wamt the albion to play at the highest level but its fair to say the only league/competion i have any interest in is the one the albion are playing in

so if we are there great if not fair enough but dont ask me to name wigans left back or norwich goalkeeper or who plays upfront for fulham or the arsenal midfield partnership etc dont care but thats not "hate" i look at results and the league table evey now and then mainly so i can take the piss out the plastics when they lose.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In my opinion teams in the Premiership seem much more desperate to avoid relegation than any of those leagues you mention.

Oh and this because of the money. Once the big four/five control their own tv rights like they do in spain (madrid and barca) then it really will be a closed shop but not a "disaster" if you go down because you are heavily in debt based on future earnings...see pompey, covemtry, charlton, southampton etc

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't hate the Prem and never have, but some of the bell ends playing in it piss me right off. Same as TMLS, it really is mostly about the league Albion are in, for me. Although I always do take an interest in the top division, I really couldn't give a shite about the other divisions.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
Can't wait until Brighton go up, another team with a good footballing style

Blackpool and Forrest would also be good.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No one will hate the Premier league when we are in it, only some of the clubs there.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I must admit that the last time we went up to the top flight I found it a real anticlimax. Drove all the way up to Newcastle, deliriously happy when it finally happened, and yet once there there was quickly the feeling of "is this it?". I guess the excitement of trying to win something just always beats the feeling of trying not to lose.

Obviously we should go balls out to try and get there again, but I don't believe the premiership streets are paved with gold for us smaller clubs.

I found the visit to the top flight to be entertaining almost every week. Except for a horrible visit to watch a 0-0 draw at Bristol City.

Got to be up their with the other southern clubs. Too many northern clubs in the Championship now. I would like to see Reading and Southampton stay up if we are going to join them.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I hate the ridiculous amount of money it costs to follow a team in it. You'll probably think I'm mad but there will be quite a few resentful Brighton fans, if the club gets promoted this season.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Rock and a hard place. I'm waivering with my support for football in general. I do not feel comfortable with player earnings.

Do I think that one man is worth £250k a week to play football? No. That is a no for whatever his profession might be.

Do I think that one man is worth £25k a week to play football? No.

Do I think that one man is worth £2.5k a week to play football? That is still a great deal more than people who sweat blood and tears to make a real difference.

I'm not against people being financially rewarded for having a skill or working towards a skill, but the money is obscene.

There is all sorts of talk saying we are paying more to pay back Tony Bloom, for his generosity, but how much money will go to him and how much money will leak out of the game and end up in the pockets of players?

It's difficult to find a hard working, decent player who is happy to earn £10k a week. That equates to at least 1,000 fans signing up for a £575 season ticket, just to cover his wages. One begins to realise the scale of the task facing many clubs to be able to compete.

It will only get worse if we end up in the top flight. I don't feel comfortable paying such prices to support players on such huge sums of money.

I'm a complete sell out, as I celebrated Wayne's goal wildly, on Friday. Is Bridge worth £90k a week? Does his mere existence make a difference to anyone of importance?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure he would. What's he going to do with it? He'd probably prefer the team to do well, and the value of the club is still there should he want to sell it one day.
I'm not at all qualified to argue the toss with you, but wasn't the original plan to try and pay back the stadium costs by 2023 then convert any outstanding debt into shares in the club? Realistically he'll get nothing back whilst we're in the Championship (the costs must be eye watering without the huge tv money available in the top league), so I kind of assumed that the club would try and use a proportion of the PL money to pay him back.

Has that plan changed?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Hating the Premiership doesn't mean you hate the idea of playing against the best teams in the top division in the country. Everyone always trots out this old shit about how Brighton fans who hated the Premiership obviously didn't want to get there etc., but the fact is we, as football fans, had no choice at to how the top division was partitioned off. It's a shame at how badly mismanaged and competitively stagnant the Premiership is, but it doesn't mean your aspiration as a football fan isn't to be among the very best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here