Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Falmer saga tainted your view of Lewes?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yes, to an extent. Of course there'll be many exceptions. But Lewes has always seemed a place with a very different brand of bohemianism to Brighton's: a nettle wine-quaffing, poetry-writing, beard-stroking middle-class bohemianism that, it's not hard to imagine, sits uneasily with football.

But this is, of course, so much generalising nonsense and being a Lewes-based Albion fan must have been a nightmare throughout: I can't imagine the thought of one's one council tax, that you obviously can't avoid paying, being used to oppose the Albion; not much can be more infuriating than that.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Isn't that a Julie Burchill comment? Sure I read her saying that a while ago?

No it is a The Spanish comment out of my own brain. I would certainly not plagarise a Johnny Come Lately Brighton Trendy on here of all places, I would be far too likely to be found out.

If she thinks the same as me about Lewes then she has has even further gone up in my estimation, you cannot fault the woman as a pointless controversialist.

Dandyman

In London village.
The majority of Lewes people do not oppose Falmer, do not take part in Bonfire night, do not drink only Harveys, in fact would not even label themselves "Lewes people". Pretentious tossers and bigots have decided to hijack an entire town to their ends - I left and will never ever go back - unless my mum's cooking me dinner!

Bonfire is not bigoted, Harveys is great and you are right about Falmer.

As Lord B says LDC is not Lewes, it's decision owe more to those parts of east Brighton such as Peacehaven and Saltdean than anything to do with the county town.

Dandyman

In London village.
The whole point though is that the people who follow Lewes FC tend not to be those connected with the Bonfire, currency etc.

Bollocks - the person responsible for Cliffe's firesite for much of the last decade is a regular at the Pan.

Dandyman

In London village.
There are plenty of people in Lewes town who complain constantly that Lewes District Council is only really interested in Seaford, Newhaven and Peacehaven.

And I'm not talking about the newcomers.

Spot on. Peacehaven can f*ck back off to Brightonhelmstone where it belongs for starters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here