Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Nathan Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew? - Sacked 12/02/2023

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I just don’t see much quality at all in that Southampton squad. & JWP only seems effective with set plays, very quiet otherwise. Lots of Championship quality players, mixed with youth who are too raw.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
The answer is looking more and more like a strong Yes.

Fans aren’t happy after another loss. They had 0 shots in target against Forest tonight. Lots of Boos at the final whistle, and lots of chatter on social media saying he’s taken them backwards.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Fans aren’t happy after another loss. They had 0 shots in target against Forest tonight. Lots of Boos at the final whistle, and lots of chatter on social media saying he’s taken them backwards.
Sounded like a few chants of "You don't know what you're doing" in the background of the 5Live coverage at the final whistle.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sounded like a few chants of "You don't know what you're doing" in the background of the 5Live coverage at the final whistle.
And l fancy the fans may well be right, this is deja vu for Nathan, Stoke City all over again, the club and the division are too big for him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Any Saints fans (including Mrs DiS) reckon he was a mistake.

It’s me who is asking “how many games has he played?” and saying “give him a chance”….. even the Saints commentators and journalists are increasingly dubious about him.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
In fairness to NJ, that is a really weak Saints squad.

Counting no chickens, but there might be only one south coast club in the top flight next season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think time will show Ralph Hasenhüttl did a great job there, and actually it's not at the manager's doorstep why they didn't progress. They weren't selling a Cucurella then bringing in an Estupinan, their recruitment hasn't come even close to matching ours in terms of unearthing talent in recent years. They've mainly gone big club hand-me-downs and championship hopefuls.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He won't be the shortest serving PL manager anyway as he was in situ for the whole of the WC break and therefore is likely to better or has already bettered Les Reed who was in charge of Charlton for 44 days.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think time will show Ralph Hasenhüttl did a great job there, and actually it's not at the manager's doorstep why they didn't progress. They weren't selling a Cucurella then bringing in an Estupinan, their recruitment hasn't come even close to matching ours in terms of unearthing talent in recent years. They've mainly gone big club hand-me-downs and championship hopefuls.
Spot on. Hassenhutl did a very good job, they've been a badly run club for years. Over the last few years I kept seeing people on here and in the media saying we should aspire to follow Southampton as an example and I kept disagreeing.

From top to bottom there is a lack of direction and leadership which starts from confusion over the ownership and their much talked about youth system has really not been very good for years, I know this first hand. They've been very lucky to stay up as long as they have IMO.

I am loving looking at the premier league table at the moment to be honest. What a week this has been! We thrash a big club, Palace get humped, Southampton lose to Forest and are rock bottom - if Carlsberg dig football results etc!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
And l fancy the fans may well be right, this is deja vu for Nathan, Stoke City all over again, the club and the division are too big for him.
I actually don't think that the club or division are too big for him, more that the ask of him is too big. I think if he came into, say, Leeds or side with a tiny bit more momentum and a bit more experience in the side, then I think he'd have found his feet.

The problem he has is that the situation there is awful. They signed kids in the main. I think they brought in 8 or 9 players of which only 2 were over 21. They haven't replaced solid players like Romeu, Valery or Redmond particularly well and JWP is having to do a lot of it on his own. It feels like the whole club is building for the Championship

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He won't be the shortest serving PL manager anyway as he was in situ for the whole of the WC break and therefore is likely to better or has already bettered Les Reed who was in charge of Charlton for 44 days.
44 days, that must be the one thing Les Reed has in common with Brian Clough!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spot on. Hassenhutl did a very good job, they've been a badly run club for years. Over the last few years I kept seeing people on here and in the media saying we should aspire to follow Southampton as an example and I kept disagreeing.

From top to bottom there is a lack of direction and leadership which starts from confusion over the ownership and their much talked about youth system has really not been very good for years, I know this first hand. They've been very lucky to stay up as long as they have IMO.

I am loving looking at the premier league table at the moment to be honest. What a week this has been! We thrash a big club, Palace get humped, Southampton lose to Forest and are rock bottom - if Carlsberg dig football results etc!
For a period they did seem to have a bit of a conveyor belt of talent from Bale to Walcott, to Shaw, Mane, Van Dyke, Højbjerg, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Schneiderlin, over an 8 year period or so they sold close to £500m worth of players that didn't cost them much. It did seem like they were able to let these go then keep going - they did finish top 8 consecutively 2013-2015. Changes in ownership in 2017 and again a year ago certainly appear to have changed that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A bit of both - in 2022 they were ranked 90/92 for points - so already pretty dead. But having an inexperienced manager with an average record with a young, inexperienced squad isn’t great.

I reckon Jones will be gone sooner rather than later.

Can we go back and sign Livramento off then now ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
They have just been ticking along for several seasons now. Completely uninspiring but never quite in the worst 3.

This season they actually went for an overhaul in the summer. £80m spent which is not like them at all, but the issue was a complete focus on young players coming in. In previous seasons they have integrated young exciting players into that solid team and then sold them on. They don't usually lump a chunk of them in at once. It simply hasn't worked.

This summer their top signings were:

Bazunu - 20 years old
Mara - 19
Lavia - 18
Kotchap - 20
Edozie - 19
Larios 18

We have bemoaned lack of goals before but we always had players who you thought "yeah, I could see them scoring when it clicks". Be that Trossard, Gross, Maupay, Welbeck, Mac Allister

With Southampton I see Ward-Prowse and that's it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For a period they did seem to have a bit of a conveyor belt of talent from Bale to Walcott, to Shaw, Mane, Van Dyke, Højbjerg, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Schneiderlin, over an 8 year period or so they sold close to £500m worth of players that didn't cost them much. It did seem like they were able to let these go then keep going - they did finish top 8 consecutively 2013-2015. Changes in ownership in 2017 and again a year ago certainly appear to have changed that.
Yep, you can pinpoint the turn around to 2016/2017 when it all started to go wrong. Owners/directors, administrators, managers, players, youth system - the whole thing went downhill from there and as I say, I think they've been lucky not to go down before and only didn't because of RH IMO.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We have bemoaned lack of goals before but we always had players who you thought "yeah, I could see them scoring when it clicks". Be that Trossard, Gross, Maupay, Welbeck, Mac Allister

With Southampton I see Ward-Prowse and that's it.
you’ll find posters on here asking why they could sign Che Adams & Adam Armstrong and we couldn’t…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here