Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Nathan Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew? - Sacked 12/02/2023

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It never ceases to amaze me how badly some teams recruit. Nathan Jones was a bizarre appointment so to come up with Ted Lasso afterwards is almost just as bad. Every Leeds fan I know hates him. What on earth are they thinking?

I genuinely think I could come up with a better out of work manager if I spent 20 minutes on Google. Amateurs.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
So, Southampton sacked Hasenhuttl's coaching team last summer, apparently as they wanted to move away from the high press, high energy game that Hasenhuttl was playing, and change to a more possession-based style. Oblivious to the fact that they had one of the leakiest defences in the EPL last year they went out and bought a load of Man City teenagers who had virtually zero experience of first team football. They then sack Hasenhuttl himself, and bring in someone with zero experience in the EPL. This quickly goes wrong, so they sack Jones....and appoint someone who plays the same style of football as Hasenhuttl (ie, the style that, only 8 months ago, they said they didn't want to play anymore). Bizarre.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
So, Southampton sacked Hasenhuttl's coaching team last summer, apparently as they wanted to move away from the high press, high energy game that Hasenhuttl was playing, and change to a more possession-based style. Oblivious to the fact that they had one of the leakiest defences in the EPL last year they went out and bought a load of Man City teenagers who had virtually zero experience of first team football. They then sack Hasenhuttl himself, and bring in someone with zero experience in the EPL. This quickly goes wrong, so they sack Jones....and appoint someone who plays the same style of football as Hasenhuttl (ie, the style that, only 8 months ago, they said they didn't want to play anymore). Bizarre.
As we saw with Potter changing a playing style and getting results takes a lot of time. The problem is too many owners panic when it's not working straight away and pull the plug meaning you are then starting again.

We did things the right way in getting a new manager in straight after the season ended, giving him a whole pre-season to asses the squad, bring in some new players and have that time on the training pitch to work on his style of play. That is a lot harder to do mid-season, you don't have the time and sometimes just have to find something that works and gets results to keep you up etc, which is what he saw in that first half season under Hughton.

That said I don't think Jones was the man to change Southampton's style, but in getting rid of him they've probably ditched a manager who would do well with them in The Championship after their almost inevitable relegation.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
On a very basic level I guess Southampton see Marsch as a coach who managed to keep Leeds up last season and he might just do it for them this season. :unsure: (probably cheap as well)

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I saw NY red bulls when Marsch was in charge of them . 3-0 down in 15 minutes . A bit too gung ho , and not what you need when fighting relegation

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
SSN reporting it is looking like a short term (to the end of the season) deal that is being looked at/discussed.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Just the most bizarre series of events. Thank god for Bloom et al. So many (the majority of?) teams seem to be run by utter lunatics.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just the most bizarre series of events. Thank god for Bloom et al. So many (the majority of?) teams seem to be run by utter lunatics.
Pretty much what Paul Barber said during a Q & A session l attended with other members of NWSS in the Amex press room yesterday, (although of course he was careful not to use such words as lunatics). Nevertheless he was surpringly honest and relaxed.

The three guests that l took with me, none of them Albion fans, were really bowled over by him. The event kicked off at 3.30pm and was supposed to be over by 4, however he was still answering questions at 4.15.

A class act that's for sure.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Pretty much what Paul Barber said during a Q & A session l attended with other members of NWSS in the Amex press room yesterday, (although of course he was careful not to use such words as lunatics). Nevertheless he was surpringly honest and relaxed.

The three guests that l took with me, none of them Albion fans, were really bowled over by him. The event kicked off at 3.30pm and was supposed to be over by 4, however he was still answering questions at 4.15.

A class act that's for sure.
Had wondered if it was actually NWSS attending yesterday as he said on that podcast it was a north west based supporters group!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Since Lieberr senior passed away Soton have gone into decline, this season is no one off they've been hanging on for a while. They will go down and won't return to the PL for a while.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Thought this was an interesting insight into Jones

That is very damaging, you could have predicted the outburst interview, when Jones was banging on about what he did at Luton etc.

Jebus, he is damaged goods now, someone will give him a chance, but back down the leagues I guess, he has blown his big chance now forever.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Pretty cutting remarks of his management by Ashley Williams who played for him at Stoke..... near end of podcast from about 40:35

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here