Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has music really come to THIS?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I stopped listening to music after Spandau Ballet. It was never going to get any better than that so what is the point in continually being dissapointed by this shit

[yt]9FISHEO3gsM[/yt]

Dylan's version of Friday was great. The girl murdered it.

When Bobby Dylan did that with an electric guitar with Al Kooper on Hammond at Newport - I actually booed.
Joe Boyd claims in 'White Bicycles' that it was the one song that encouraged him to start The UFO Club. Bolan's version of this tune was a nod of thanks to Joe, and he would play a rendition with Tyrannosaurus Rex especially for him whenever they played there.

It's rumoured that Syd Barrett played an instrumental version at The 24Hour Technicolor Dream, but that's unsubstantiated because most of the songs played were unrecognizable as versions of anything.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When Bobby Dylan did that with an electric guitar with Al Kooper on Hammond at Newport - I actually booed.

You were at that concert 46 years ago? Really ???? and you were old enough and knowledgeable enough of Dylan's music to understand why people were booing?..hmmm

You were at that concert 46 years ago? Really ???? and you were old enough and knowledgeable enough of Dylan's music to understand why people were booing?..hmmm

:lol:

Nothing goes over your head, does it IG?

I have read 'White Bicycles' by the way (by Joe Boyd, who helped out at Newport) and have had a pleasant chat with Al Kooper about 5 years back. I might just suspect a bit about a few things that went on in those event, without being there at the time.
But bearing in mind your point about "Dylan's music" - I would IMAGINE that some of the folk-purist crowd at a folk and blues festival that featured music by Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger in the early 1960's were somewhat affronted by this relatively new up-and-comer sparking up the amps like this;

[yt]OINa46jdKpY[/yt]

My imagination streeeetches to understand that several of the folk audience were older 'beatniks' who were there to hear protest songs liltingly stroked or spat out with fire and passion, or Tom Dooley Americana that recalled thick dungarees and muddy farm-workers tilling the countryside, interspersed with Odetta gospel and Sonny and Brownie blues alongside PeterPaul&Mary and Gordon Lightfoot, 'Strange Fruit' and sympathetic laments about racism (since this was an enlightened inter-racial crowd)
HOWEVER - Newport wasn't unused to electric instruments - indeed Muddy Waters recorded a whole album at the venue 5 years earlier!

[yt]FhTCYqJsfqs[/yt]

So, in actual fact the crowd were less likely booing the presence of plugs and solid-body guitars - after all, Paul Butterfield and his Blues Band played behind Dylan who was headlining, and they hadn't been howled off in their afternoon set!
The legend of Newport has been magnified and Chinese Whispered through the years, but I believe they also booed because Dylan only played 3 numbers (that's all the band knew for that set), and had to return onstage to finish with an acoustic because he many had waited days for the festival headliner.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I suspect not (if he was there at all). According to this post only yesterday

i feel the same way about bands - I mean I supported Pink Floyd since I was 12 ...

At the 1965 Newport Festival in Rhode Island, NMH would have been 12 at the very oldest (Pink Floyd formed in 1965) and possibly as young as 9 or 10 (Pink Floyd's first single was released in late 1967).

*awaits the usual 1,500 word torrent of abuse*

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Joe Boyd claims in 'White Bicycles' that it was the one song that encouraged him to start The UFO Club. Bolan's version of this tune was a nod of thanks to Joe, and he would play a rendition with Tyrannosaurus Rex especially for him whenever they played there.

It's rumoured that Syd Barrett played an instrumental version at The 24Hour Technicolor Dream, but that's unsubstantiated because most of the songs played were unrecognizable as versions of anything.

There was a rumour doing the rounds that Dylan stole this song after hearing a recording of Robert Johnson singing it. Dylan (allegedly) destroyed the recording in a fit of jealous rage after recognising Johnson's superior lyrical genius. And sadly no other copy of the original has ever come to light.

Although Johnson, as we know, bought all his lyrics off the Devil in a job lot.

NMH and some friends earlier today.

Attachments

• saxondale460.jpg
    saxondale460.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 42

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
:lol:

Nothing goes over your head, does it IG?

I have read 'White Bicycles' by the way (by Joe Boyd, who helped out at Newport) and have had a pleasant chat with Al Kooper about 5 years back. I might just suspect a bit about a few things that went on in those event, without being there at the time.
But bearing in mind your point about "Dylan's music" - I would IMAGINE that some of the folk-purist crowd at a folk and blues festival that featured music by Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger in the early 1960's were somewhat affronted by this relatively new up-and-comer sparking up the amps like this;

[yt]OINa46jdKpY[/yt]

I prefer to run with the opinions of someone who WAS there, although having listened to your clip I'd suggest the Seeger was a bit deaf if he couldn't hear the words, which are remarkably clear. More likely he realises he behaved like a twat and is making excuses for it decades later and forgetting what he actually heard.

From Wikipedia -

An early booster of Bob Dylan, Seeger, who was on the board of directors of the Newport Folk Festival, became upset over the extremely loud and distorted electric sound that Dylan, instigated by his manager Albert Grossman, also a Folk Festival board member, brought into the 1965 Festival during his performance of "Maggie's Farm." Tensions between Grossman and the other board members were running very high (at one point reportedly there was a scuffle and blows were briefly exchanged between Grossman and board member Alan Lomax).[47] There are several versions of what happened during Dylan's performance and some claimed that Pete Seeger tried to disconnect the equipment.[48] Seeger has been portrayed by Dylan's publicists as a folk "purist" who was one of the main opponents to Dylan's "going electric," but when asked in 2001 about how he recalled his "objections" to the electric style, he said:

I couldn't understand the words. I wanted to hear the words. It was a great song, "Maggie's Farm," and the sound was distorted. I ran over to the guy at the controls and shouted, "Fix the sound so you can hear the words." He hollered back, "This is the way they want it." I said "Damn it, if I had an axe, I'd cut the cable right now." But I was at fault. I was the MC, and I could have said to the part of the crowd that booed Bob, "you didn't boo Howlin' Wolf yesterday. He was electric!" Though I still prefer to hear Dylan acoustic, some of his electric songs are absolutely great. Electric music is the vernacular of the second half of the twentieth century, to use my father's old term.[49]

Last edited:

There was a rumour doing the rounds that Dylan stole this song after hearing a recording of Robert Johnson singing it. Dylan (allegedly) destroyed the recording in a fit of jealous rage after recognising Johnson's superior lyrical genius. And sadly no other copy of the original has ever come to light.

Although Johnson, as we know, bought all his lyrics off the Devil in a job lot.

:thumbsup: Truffles

I just popped out and interviewed Al for this thread, although he FAILS to mention me :angry:

Probably because I didn't "understand" why the people were booing The Bobster :shootself

Encyclopedia - Britannica Online Encyclopedia

I prefer to run with the opinions of someone who WAS there, although having listened to your clip I'd suggest the Seeger was a bit deaf if he couldn't hear the words, which are remarkably clear. More likely he realises he behaved like a twat and is making excuses for it decades later and forgetting what he actually heard.

From Wikipedia -

An early booster of Bob Dylan, Seeger, who was on the board of directors of the Newport Folk Festival, became upset over the extremely loud and distorted electric sound that Dylan, instigated by his manager Albert Grossman, also a Folk Festival board member, brought into the 1965 Festival during his performance of "Maggie's Farm." Tensions between Grossman and the other board members were running very high (at one point reportedly there was a scuffle and blows were briefly exchanged between Grossman and board member Alan Lomax).[47] There are several versions of what happened during Dylan's performance and some claimed that Pete Seeger tried to disconnect the equipment.[48] Seeger has been portrayed by Dylan's publicists as a folk "purist" who was one of the main opponents to Dylan's "going electric," but when asked in 2001 about how he recalled his "objections" to the electric style, he said:

I couldn't understand the words. I wanted to hear the words. It was a great song, "Maggie's Farm," and the sound was distorted. I ran over to the guy at the controls and shouted, "Fix the sound so you can hear the words." He hollered back, "This is the way they want it." I said "Damn it, if I had an axe, I'd cut the cable right now." But I was at fault. I was the MC, and I could have said to the part of the crowd that booed Bob, "you didn't boo Howlin' Wolf yesterday. He was electric!" Though I still prefer to hear Dylan acoustic, some of his electric songs are absolutely great. Electric music is the vernacular of the second half of the twentieth century, to use my father's old term.[49]

Well, that does confirm what I said about some of the audience present there.
As well as underlining the previous existence of electricity at Newport Fests, which I mentioned in referring to Muddy's 1960 set which was released by Chess Records.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Another little known fact about Dylan's version of this song. Although he was no longer playing it live by 1966, he was considereing resurrecting it and using it as the centrepiece for a mini-concept album called 'Week', which would feature seven songs each named after a day. But he dropped the idea when, like a bolt from the blue, The Mamas & The Papas released 'Monday, Monday', and Dylan realised it was twice as good as any song title he had come up with.

Humbled by this, he retitled some of his demos, and several of these actually turned up years later on The Basement Tapes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here