Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has music really come to THIS?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Jesus that is just terrible, and possibly more to the point, what is a 13 year old girl doing going out to a party with someone who is of age to drive, and a Mercedes at that?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
In answer to your question - no, you're wrong in my opinion.

The CHARTS has descended to this because quite frankly, the charts are now irrelevant, certainly the singles charts. Album charts still have a certain relevance but not so much. More so than ever, the charts represents the tastes of a very narrow demographic, typically 12-18 year olds.

As a complete and utter music anorak I'd say music has never been in ruder health as now. Trouble is you have to go and look for it rather than be spoonfed what the mainstream radio stations want you to listen to.

:thumbsup:

I disagree, the charts have always had complete shite in them. Yes there are less people buying singles, but the market has always been dominated by teenage consumers.

Just as an example look back at singles charts from the 60's supposedly the golden age of pop music. For every beatles or Stones there is a Ken Dodd novelty record or some terrible crooners ballad, or even worse Hermans Hermits.

I disagree, the charts have always had complete shite in them. Yes there are less people buying singles, but the market has always been dominated by teenage consumers.

Just as an example look back at singles charts from the 60's supposedly the golden age of pop music. For every beatles or Stones there is a Ken Dodd novelty record or some terrible crooners ballad, or even worse Hermans Hermits.

Ken Dodd is cool and has made some fab records.. Happiness

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I For every beatles or Stones there is a Ken Dodd novelty record or some terrible crooners ballad, or even worse Hermans Hermits.

Which catergory do these classy lyrics belong to?

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa ccc, love me do.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.

Someone to love,
Somebody new.
Someone to love,
Someone like you.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.

Absolutley shocking rubbish, and not the only song of theirs which is total nonsense, not better than 'Friday' or the Burger King song IMO.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I would say singles charts have been irrelevant, as far as quality is concerned, for nearly 30 years now.

The singles has been irrelevant since 1981? I completely disagree. Top of the Pops, Smash Hits, NME and the like were built around the charts and the viewers and readers it enjoyed back in the 80s and late 90s was huge. You only have to read Pete Waterman's autobiography to see how much money record companies piled into singles sales and how important a market it was. Even as late as 95 there was the massive hype around Blur v Oasis for who would get number one.

I agree but that's not what I was arguing. I was making the point that the singles charts is now irrelevant completely, novelty records aside. Of course the singles market is aimed at the younger market but it's probably exclusively so now. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s there was always a smattering of grown up music that got to number one that kids would never have listened to.

I know it's all subjective but I'd rather listen to Herman's Hermits than Ken Dodd any day of the week. They played it at Stoke recently and I'd forgotten just how crap Dodd was/is.

I'm so old I cannot bear to listen to Radio 1 longer than it takes me to hit the off switch. Dj's used to be cool and laid back, everytime I hear Radio 1 it seems everyone is shouting all the time, even when talking about mundane things.... and then there's the music.

And in which case I'm happy with that. I agree with the person who once said that if the younger generation's music doesn't upset the older generation then its not doing its job.

DJs used to be cool? I've got somewhere a Radio 1 album from 1977 where they celebrate 10 years of being on the air. There's a group photo of all the DJs and John Peel and Annie Nightingale look very awkward in it amongst DLT, Jimmy Saville, Fluff Freeman and Simon Bates. If the latter are your idea of laid back cool then I agree, you shouldn't be listening to Radio 1.

In 30 years time it will probably be viewed as a classic of it's genre.

Of course it won't any more than Denise Lasalle's Toot Toot isn't now, nor is Aneka's Japanese Boy or Kriss Kross Jump Around or Daphne and Celeste Ooh Stick You or any number of novelty records.

Last edited:

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
I'm rather partial to 6Music, it caters for 42 year old indie kids like me. Makes me feel happy when they play stuff from the good old days like The Wedding Present, or The Sugarcubes, or The House of Love, or Talulah Gosh, or Pixies. Anyone else off to see Moz, Iggy and lou Reed at the Hop Farm in July? There will be lots of 42 year old indie kids there, probably with lots of indie babies.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
and today it's

[yt]BP2WuMnolYg[/yt]

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
Absolutely DREADFUL song, this looks like being yet another Miley Cyrus for us real music lovers to tollerate.

The chart show I used to listen to all the time when Mark Goodier presented it, but when JK and Joel turned it into a magazine show rather than focusing just on the chart, I simply turned it off for good and only listened when Feeder released a new single or album to see where it would chart. Since Feeder are no longer played on Radio 1, nobody outside their hardcore fanbase is going to know they have a new record out, so I no longer bother.

Since the 2007 new chart rules came into play, sales have never been better. The best-selling single of 2004 ("Where is the Love?") only sold about 400,000 in that calendar year, these days the best-seller does over 1 million. In the 80's album sales were quite depressed, Duran Duran don't even have a million selling album while today album sales are a lot more stronger.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
My kids actually HATED it. There is hope for them yet.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You know more about music than I will ever know, but I think your blog is great! I love minimal and you have some great tunes on there. I agree with your words about Laura Marling too!

Thanks v much. I really appreciate the feedback. I am working on my first proper minimal mix with a view to doing a podcast in the future. I've roped in my 11 year old to help but we keep having artistic differences. He's really into dubstep and Shackleton and the like so it could be a bit of a mix (or mess!)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I quite like it, its nearly as good as this. :D

At least this has the benefit of not taking itself seriously and of acknowledging that it IS just a novelty record.
Rebecca thingy presumably is a stab at music but which goes well wide of the mark

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
thought this was about dubstep, in particular:

[yt]h3cE9iXIx9c[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I know it's all down to personal taste but I don't think that dubstep tune is particularly indicative of the genre. It's far too harsh and sounds like an industrial techno/dubstep cross-over. If you're after decent dubstep cross-overs then there's tons on SoundCloud. How about this by legendary dubmaster Scientist with a little help from Emika?

[yt]tnOzxeUmQD4[/yt]

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I think people are being unfair here, if it was being pushed by a large record label or big name producer then by all means wade in. However, it is a vanity project paid for by her parents with the probable aim of selling a few downloads to friends and family and whacking it up on youtube so a few hundred people can see it, much like a lot of other crap on there. If everyone had ignored it the song would have sunk without a trace.

Anyway it isn't as bad as this:

[yt]EGwB-f1xfxM[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here