Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Corrected for you.

Neither sample are representative, are they. They are both self-selecting.
Wrong.

People at an away game are the very definition of a representative sample of loyal football fans who attend games. There will have been men, women, children and, yes, probably a few yoofs on the marching powder, but the atmosphere will only get worse there if armchair fans surfing the Beeb are prioritised over the feelings of paying customers.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bollocks.

Those of us who strongly supported Potter even in the fallow periods did so because we could see that in the long run he was hugely improving our club and we saw the fruits of that at the end of last season and so far this season, not because we ever supported him more than the club.

Along with others at the club, he transformed our long term fortunes and image in his time with us and as much as I dislike him for leaving and I’m enjoying Chelsea’s struggles now, I’ll always respect him for what he did for us.

He is a quality coach/manager but unfortunately for him, he’s gone to the wrong club this time. He’ll be back.
Hughton hugely improved our club not Potter. He’s the one that got us into the PL with some smart signings and to keep that team fighting after the disappointment of the previous season was class management.
People fawning over Potter because he got Dan Burn playing better isn’t really that much of an achievement 🙄😂.
Chelsea isn’t the wrong club he hasn’t won anything to justify a move to a champions league winning club. Looked lost yesterday against the Man City kids sprinkled with a few first team players.
He may coach a lower half PL side again although it won’t be with us we have a far better coach now thanks to the greed of Mr Potter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Man City kids sprinkled with a few first team players.
really ? Chelsea had more kids than Man City. City had what - 3?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Jesus Christ.

Had a peek at the Chelsea forum.

My feelings have swiftly changed from schadenfreude to pity.

They despise Potter. Regard him as the worst manager in 30 years. As much as I love to see them fail, it's all a bit harsh.

Think Chelsea are just a horrible club with horrible fans to be fair.
We weren’t much different with Hypia it’s how football works. That Millwall game Brighton fans singing for Oscar Garcia let’s not pretend we are any better or more forgiving.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Chelsea started with 5 of their Champions League winning team yesterday and 9 full internationals v. City apparently. I know they have injuries, but that's hardly bare bones.
That’s exactly the problem - when Tuchel lost 4-0 to Arsenal he said ‘we have the same issues because we have the same players’ and he was right

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So those with the most Chelsea away points who spend a fortune to go to a game at a time that most Brighton fans would think twice about are to be ignored and those that stayed at home and are selected by the BBC to provide a story are not?

I thought you believed in representative samples?
Let's try this again.

When did I say that Chelsea supporters who attended the game (and presumably want Potter out) are to be ignored?

I have commented on the only comments by Chelsea supporters that I have heard - callers to 6-0-6

I presume you have heard a different set of comments by reading the Chelsea forum or talking to your Chelsea supporting mates.

That's fine. But as I said, neither sample, yours or mine, are necessarily representative (and it is you who has invoked the issue of representativeness, not me). People who write on football forums and people who phone 6-0-6 are self selecting (they are not selected by the BBC to provide a story, by the way; the BBC is notorious for allowing the two dissenters to be heard to 'balance' the two 'selected' from the 100s with the majority opinion, so when all callers are saying the same thing they probably represent a common view). But they cannot be assumed to be representative of anything other the pond in which they swim - people who use football forums and people who phone 6-0-6 (and presumably people who support Chelsea who you have selected to be your mates).

Right. But after all that, yes I suspect you are correct that there is a growing contingent who do want Potter out. Radio 5 (yes, them again) are reporting this morning that some Chelsea supporters were singing 'we want Tuchel back' at the game yesterday. I didn't hear this or hear comment about it (and I watched the game on the tellybox) but who am I to argue. So, yes, other views are available.

And of course Chelsea people will be unhappy with the performances recently, just as many, including you, were critical of Potter at times during his tenure here. Perhaps if Potter is sacked by Chelsea there will be a joyous exclamation from Chelsea fans of 'good riddance to bad rubbish', just as the majority of Brighton supporters said 'good riddence to bad rubbish' when we sacked Potter.

Oh.....hang on.....

I've forgotten what we were arguing about now. Never mind :lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Hughton hugely improved our club not Potter. He’s the one that got us into the PL with some smart signings and to keep that team fighting after the disappointment of the previous season was class management.
People fawning over Potter because he got Dan Burn playing better isn’t really that much of an achievement 🙄😂.
Chelsea isn’t the wrong club he hasn’t won anything to justify a move to a champions league winning club. Looked lost yesterday against the Man City kids sprinkled with a few first team players.
He may coach a lower half PL side again although it won’t be with us we have a far better coach now thanks to the greed of Mr Potter.
kick and rush?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We weren’t much different with Hypia it’s how football works. That Millwall game Brighton fans singing for Oscar Garcia let’s not pretend we are any better or more forgiving.
I agree the Millwall game was the game which we as fans turned, but that was 21 games into Hyppia's tenure, we had already dropped into the bottom 3 2 games before that with Millwall just above us. Given we waited that long, I'd say we were remarkeably patient and forgiving up till then. He resigned 9 days later.

Chelsea have 15pts from 11 games under Potter, they had 10pts from 6 games under Tuchel. Comparing Chelsea fans patience and forgiveness as similar to us with Hyppia is well off the mark.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree the Millwall game was the game which we as fans turned, but that was 21 games into Hyppia's tenure, we had already dropped into the bottom 3 2 games before that with Millwall just above us. Given we waited that long, I'd say we were remarkeably patient and forgiving up till then. He resigned 9 days later.

Chelsea have 15pts from 11 games under Potter, they had 10pts from 6 games under Tuchel. Comparing Chelsea fans patience and forgiveness as similar to us with Hyppia is well off the mark.
I’m not particularly comparing us to Chelsea fans just the way football works in general. Being a football manager is a results driven business, as fans we make allowances for a while with injuries and bad signings yet eventually fans turn on the manager. With Hypia it was never going to work surprised Bloom let it go as far as it did.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Along with being a miserable, narcissistic gold-digger, Potter is a master of displacement blame - whether it’s the Albion fans failing to support the team, clubs being more realistic about achievements or in this case Chelsea already a ’club in a bad way’ before he joined, If I was the chief exec, I’d be asking - ‘if we were in such a bad place before you came, then why the **** did you join us?’

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Along with being a miserable, narcissistic gold-digger, Potter is a master of displacement blame - whether it’s the Albion fans failing to support the team, clubs being more realistic about achievements or in this case Chelsea already a ’club in a bad way’ before he joined, If I was the chief exec, I’d be asking - ‘if we were in such a bad place before you came, then why the **** did you join us?’
I think you’ve answered your own question there! :)

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Sure. What did Potter ever do for us? Apart from getting Dan Burn playing better of course.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Fulham away on Thursday and Palace home at the weekend - two wins and he'll keep the job for a while - any less and it could well be goodbye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here