Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Defoe just secured his place to South Africa?

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
It'll be

Rooney
Heskey
Defoe

and 1 or 2 others from Agbonlahor, Crouch, Bent, any others?

I don't think Owen is even in the reckoning. Surely Fabio would've tried him by now?

I don't think it'll be Crouch, I get the indication from previous comments that Capello really doesn't rate him.

Carlton Cole?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the fact Owen isn't in the running sort of confirms that the "pacy striker" squad berth has already gone to Defoe.

I'd like to know what Cappello's Plan B is if Rooney gets injured.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good as Defoe was yesterday, lets just remember there won't be any Titus Brambles at the sharp end of the WC.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good as Defoe was yesterday, lets just remember there won't be any Titus Brambles at the sharp end of the WC.

The same Titus Bramble who was a mainstay of the team with the best defensive record in the Premiership last year?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Good?? Defoe's treatment of 57-cap Edman was the football equivalent of anal rape, and England haven't beaten Sweden for 41 years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The same Titus Bramble who was a mainstay of the team with the best defensive record in the Premiership last year?

Yes, thats the one.
Good all-round comedy value. At one point, Defoe literally ran an entire 360-degree ring round him before firing one over the bar.

I'm sure there's a Bramble montage on YouTube somewhere.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Knew there was one I had forgotten.

Crouch is DEFINITELY not going then.

Exactly why don't you think Crouch is going? Doesn't he have a very impressive goal scoring record? Doesn't he offer something the others don't?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Defoe should clearly go. And will.

Capello does seem to rate Heskey over Crouch, but unless Heskey leaves Villa in January, he's just not going to play enough, and Crouch will pip him for the place. Its a really tough call between them - Crouch's record is SO much better, its ridiculous, but England DO play well with Heskey, and Rooney likes him there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the World Cup was tomorrow, I would take Crouch, Heskey, Defoe, Owen and Rooney.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly why don't you think Crouch is going? Doesn't he have a very impressive goal scoring record? Doesn't he offer something the others don't?

I will look to find it, but there was article near the start of Capello's time that was blatantly saying he was only using Crouch because he had to, and referred to him as his 3rd choice for the target man role. I will try and find it.

He is cracking against teams of the standard of Burma. I have never seen him put in an above average performance against an above average team. Perhaps he hasn't had the chances? Who knows. Seems to me he is always quiet up against a good defence though.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It has just been announced that the Wigan players have agreed to repay ticket costs for the fans that travelled to White Hart Lane out of their own pockets.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Capello does not rate Crouch highly

London, Apr.1 (ANI): England football coach Fabio Capello does not rate forward Peter Crouch highly, but admits that he will have to play him tonight against Ukraine only because he has run out of alternatives.

Capello said: “We have to play Crouch because he’s now the best we have who can play.

“My first idea was one style and one particular forward, fast and with movement. Crouch has a different style. He is not Darren Bent and not Emile Heskey. He can’t do the same movement as Heskey and can’t press like Heskey,” The Sun quoted Capello, as saying.So far, Capello has given Crouch, 28, eight appearances, all as sub, and it is clear Bent would have played in tonight’s World Cup qualifier had he been fit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If the world cup was tomorrow I'd take Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey and Walcott.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Capello does not rate Crouch highly

London, Apr.1 (ANI): England football coach Fabio Capello does not rate forward Peter Crouch highly, but admits that he will have to play him tonight against Ukraine only because he has run out of alternatives.

Capello said: “We have to play Crouch because he’s now the best we have who can play.

“My first idea was one style and one particular forward, fast and with movement. Crouch has a different style. He is not Darren Bent and not Emile Heskey. He can’t do the same movement as Heskey and can’t press like Heskey,” The Sun quoted Capello, as saying.So far, Capello has given Crouch, 28, eight appearances, all as sub, and it is clear Bent would have played in tonight’s World Cup qualifier had he been fit.

Ironic that. I was at Wembley that night, and Crouch was quality. Held play up brilliantly, and scored a good goal, too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And we were playing who? Ukraine. Sounds about right. Can you REALLY imagine Crouch getting anywhere against an Italian or Spanish defence, or even a German or Dutch one? Crouch will go his whole career causing havoc for defences the level of Ukraine's.

Don't want to go the Beckham route again but name me one good performance from Crouch against a top defence.

It's not that I think Bent or Agbon are quite worthy of their inclusion either, at the moment. I'd rather take an extra midfielder (Young, Lennon, Milner, Joe Cole etc) than have 5 strikers. We have a huge strength in depth in midfield, compared to upfront.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And we were playing who? Ukraine. Sounds about right. Can you REALLY imagine Crouch getting anywhere against an Italian or Spanish defence, or even a German or Dutch one? Crouch will go his whole career causing havoc for defences the level of Ukraine's.

Don't want to go the Beckham route again but name me one good performance from Crouch against a top defence.

I never get this argument. The thing is, we won't be playing Spain or Brazil in every game. To get out of the group, for starters, we'll have to beat two teams no better or higher ranked than Ukraine. And harking back to 06 when we struggled to beat both Paragusy and T&T, its no given that we would do so, easily.

If you've got a player with a GREAT record against these teams, then you need him there. If the first choice two do the business in every game, that's terrific, but a 23 man squad is all about OPTIONS. Crouch is exactly that - something different.

It's not that I think Bent or Agbon are quite worthy of their inclusion either, at the moment. I'd rather take an extra midfielder (Young, Lennon, Milner, Joe Cole etc) than have 5 strikers. We have a huge strength in depth in midfield, compared to upfront.

The only one that I remember was this cameo

BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Argentina 2-3 England

where he came on and scared the bejesus out of the Argentinian defence. And, if he went to the world cup, that's how I'd use him. The danger is that, if you take four strikers (Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe) two of them are little more than impact subs.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I never get this argument. The thing is, we won't be playing Spain or Brazil in every game. To get out of the group, for starters, we'll have to beat two teams no better or higher ranked than Ukraine. And harking back to 06 when we struggled to beat both Paragusy and T&T, its no given that we would do so, easily.

If you've got a player with a GREAT record against these teams, then you need him there. If the first choice two do the business in every game, that's terrific, but a 23 man squad is all about OPTIONS. Crouch is exactly that - something different.

A very good point you make there.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hasn't he used crouch in games since then when he hasn't had to? Games where his other options have been fit and available, yet he still picked Crouch? Perhaps he has changed his mind, seen something in Crouch he never saw before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here