Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Defoe just secured his place to South Africa?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Hahahaha

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Were there any mitigating circumstances? Playing kids because the first squad were wiped out by swine flu? Three early red cards? etc.?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Were there any mitigating circumstances? Playing kids because the first squad were wiped out by swine flu? Three early red cards? etc.?
Not other than Wigan being incredibly erratic.

Defoe was nailed on for the World Cup anyway, I don't think 5 goals against this shambles makes a HUGE difference. I'd rather see a striker score against Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester United than disappear in those games and bang 5 against Wigan at home.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Defoe was nailed on for the World Cup anyway, I don't think 5 goals against this shambles makes a HUGE difference. I'd rather see a striker score against Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester United than disappear in those games and bang 5 against Wigan at home.

Scored againts Man Utd and suspended against le arse

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
i always believed if he scored at least 20 gls this season he would b on that plane i also believe that crouch should go as he offers a differnt option

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
The people I feel sorry for are the Wigan fans who pay 25p for each goal update.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It'll be

Rooney
Heskey
Defoe

and 1 or 2 others from Agbonlahor, Crouch, Bent, any others?

I don't think Owen is even in the reckoning. Surely Fabio would've tried him by now?

I don't think it'll be Crouch, I get the indication from previous comments that Capello really doesn't rate him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I hate the little rat boy Defoe with a passion but on present form he should start with Rooney up front.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
His finishing yesterday was as good as Wigan's defending was bad. Certain to be on the plane but I can only see him being used as an impact sub.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'm not sure. His game is all about pace and reaction, and to that extent he reminded me of Michael Owen at his prime yesterday. He basically just hung off the shoulder of the centre half and beat him for pace or waited for a mis-control and sped off to score. Five times.

If he does that against Man Utd or Chelsea just once in a game, and scores from it, then he's doing what he's paid to do.

Of course, Defoe will always need service, as he isn't the sort of player to make things happen himself, but there's got to be room a player like that in the squad...

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
He has to be in the England squad. If only because apart from Rooney, our only world class striker, he is arguably the best of the rest.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Defoe was awesome. The question is not whether he's going to South Africa but whether Cappello can fit him into the starting line-up.

Whether Walcott or Lennon starts wide right, both have searing pace and the only forward in that same league is Defoe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here