Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has camelot shot itself in the foot....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That sounds a bit far fetched to me Phil. Got any more substantive proof than dodgy camera angles and your possible liking for conspiricies.

Have you ever seen those balls get selected, and roll out without a camera cutaway to the exit tube? No, never. Watch the draw next time it's on, you'll see what I mean, there is never a time when you see a specific ball selected, only when it is popped out of the tube thing.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Problem being if we all stop doing the lottery then most of those projects and groups that benefit the local community will simply disappear as most of their funding now comes from the National lottery. Like people say its another tax on the poor and needy but one that they rely on.
Thats the guinea pig farmers of South America shagged then,also the Lesbian self help group in Africa,Yak milk in Nepal will fall in production.....all because I refuse to pay £2 a ticket..........sorry.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Camelot are probably the most successful lottery company in the world in terms of keeping things fresh. Especially when you consider the competition they have in this country, whereas in other countries the gaming choices are much reduced.

People should also be wary of switching to the health lottery. The prizes aren't as good and they give less to good causes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I spend £3 on wednesday and the same on saturday plus the friday euro draw.
I was going to say one of them will go as I do it automatically but thinking about it I will start to only do the lottery after a few rollovers.
Statistically nonsense but given the amount I (dont) win I might at least feel better about throwing my money away.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
save up two quid a week.Then after a year you can say, wahey! I've won 104 quid! save up for two years and you'll have a mighty 208 pounds! save up for Three years etc etc.....anyone wanting sound financial advice do let me know

Had you put in a pound for each draw that has taken place since launch you would now have the princely sum of £1,681. Assuming you'd kept that in a decent bank account and not touched it, you'd have accumulated interest on it too.

Sadly for me, when the National Lottery started £1 was a lot of money to me and I couldn't spare that for saving purposes. Not when there were sweets and football stickers to buy

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Thats the guinea pig farmers of South America shagged then,also the Lesbian self help ŷgroup in Africa,Yak milk in Nepal will fall in production.....all because I refuse to pay £2 a ticket..........sorry.

No most of the good causes are UK based and generally help those that are in need or offer a positive impact on the local community such as the heritage lottery grant. Personally I would prefer it to be paid from the government coffers but that is never going to happen under austerity.

Anyway you don't need to worry as it will mainly being the poor who now pay for these services now through their scratch cards and lotto

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
2 lines for each UK lottery and 1 for Euro millions for me.

Was thinking about giving up the Euromillions mainly because the odds are far worse, they're ridiculous. Every time I've won it's been about £7.20, it takes the fun away. Plus I don't know what charitable causes the money goes towards, or if it even stays in the country.

At least Camelot can be trusted, it's virtually a non-profit organisation, and the money stays in the UK.

Euro millions is a national lottery game so the money spent by uk customers goes to the tax man and good causes just like the main draw does

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Had you put in a pound for each draw that has taken place since launch you would now have the princely sum of £1,681. Assuming you'd kept that in a decent bank account and not touched it, you'd have accumulated interest on it too.

Sadly for me, when the National Lottery started £1 was a lot of money to me and I couldn't spare that for saving purposes. Not when there were sweets and football stickers to buy

You could argue the same for anything non-essential, say beer or fags, and you'd have saved an awful lot more and probably improved your health.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It doesn't matter if you get one raffle ticket for a £1 or if you get ten. You still have the same odds of winning.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Have you ever seen those balls get selected, and roll out without a camera cutaway to the exit tube? No, never. Watch the draw next time it's on, you'll see what I mean, there is never a time when you see a specific ball selected, only when it is popped out of the tube thing.

Has "the truth" hacked your account?

So who is involved in this conspiracy? Just Camelot? Is the government involved as well? Presumably the bbc as well

One example that shows this up as tosh is euro millions. It was always designed as a game that would rollover loads but in its first 10 weeks it was won about 7 times! Not a very good start!!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
How do you work that one out then? Surely if you have ten tickets, you're ten times more likely to win.

But so is everyone else 10 times more likely to win, so you are back where you started.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ripped off again.....apart from the Euro draw where we pay £2 a line and the rest of Europe pay 2 euros, we pay 20p more a line....ten lines extra £2...
Now they want to double the £1 line to £2....with the excuse that the prizes are going up....jackpot from £4.1m to £5m. 5 +bonus.....being reduced....4 numbers going up from about £60 to £100...three numbers from £10 to £25.
Camelot director on £1m a year.
I know at least 8 people who are not going to play if the price doubles.

Hmm. There's a reason it's called The Lottery. Griping about the cost of a company that makes no bones aboutthe fact you are highly likely to lose and that they are in it to make as much profit as possible is all a bit academic really.

My old man calls it the Twat Tax and he's correct. You may as well glue your money to a dogs arse and watch it run away.

Plus the people who play it are a pain in the arse up at the kiosk in supermarkets, checking and buying tickets and scratchcards and all the peripheral shite that comes with. Add to that the fact that the people who play the lottery are on the whole a bit dim and slow they take ages sorting through their change and fiddling about. A shambles, a bloody shambles.

Last edited:

bha100

Aug 25, 2011

Was thinking about giving up the Euromillions mainly because the odds are far worse, they're ridiculous. Every time I've won it's been about £7.20, it takes the fun away. Plus I don't know what charitable causes the money goes towards, or if it even stays in the country.

At least Camelot can be trusted, it's virtually a non-profit organisation, and the money stays in the UK.

You are joking right, they do not run the lottery out of the goodness of their hearts, the last audited accounts in the uk before they were taken over in 2010 by a Canadian pension fund showed they made gross profit of just under 200 million

http://www.otpp.com/news/article/-/article/24324

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Problem being if we all stop doing the lottery then most of those projects and groups that benefit the local community will simply disappear as most of their funding now comes from the National lottery. Like people say its another tax on the poor and needy but one that they rely on.

Depends, if we stopped permanently then yes the good causes would lose out. But if people stopped in protest at the changes and this was significant (although unlikely) then Camelot would probably have to change back.

2 pound a pop will put some off, the biggest dilemma will be for the syndicates as there are bound to be people within who would be adverse to giving another £1

Would have thought for syndicates it is just a case of doing half the lines, eg if you have 10 in a syndicate, instead of 10 lines you just do 5!

The lottery is fixed, they create rollovers to increase sales when the sales get low, they dish out single winners when it suits for the publicity, likewise make multiple winners if sales drop off, to convince people they have a chance.

Until they show someone actually dipping their hand in the machine and removing the ball, without the camera breaking from one view to another, there is no way it can be considered random. After the tickets have been bought they know exactly what numbers to push out to ensure who wins what. If they don't want anyone to win the rollover, they just make sure the numbers they put out ensures it. You never see those balls in one continuous frame from the point of being picked out by the machine until it runs down the little tube.

Superphil=Brunswick=The Truth? Pause for thought!!!!!

How can you say it is virtually a non-profit making organisation. It's a cash cow. In 2010, they made £45m net profit on income of £543.4m. And they have a licence to do this until 2019 with a possible extension for 5 years!

As for the price rise being the first since it started, when it started we didn't have the scratch cards, Lotto +5, two draws a week etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here