Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has camelot shot itself in the foot....

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Problem being if we all stop doing the lottery then most of those projects and groups that benefit the local community will simply disappear as most of their funding now comes from the National lottery. Like people say its another tax on the poor and needy but one that they rely on.

Jul 20, 2003
Problem being if we all stop doing the lottery then most of those projects and groups that benefit the local community will simply disappear as most of their funding now comes from the National lottery. Like people say its another tax on the poor and needy but one that they rely on.

indeed

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
It's the way of the world to expect any business to increase its takings year on year. But, after the launch all those years ago I'm pretty sure that incomes have fallen from the heady days when they used to offer a £10 M + weekly or rollover 1st prize.
A lot of sensible people have drifted out of playing as they have realised the odds on winning are pretty slim. I know a friend and his wife do about 4 lines a week made up of " their " significant numbers/birthdates and they were cheesed off by the introduction of the midweek draw in case those numbers came up then. So, their lottery outlay doubled. then they introduced the Euro Millions which meant further outlay in case those magic numbers came in in a draw they had not entered.

So now they will be faced with doubling the cost but, when you are struggling with the mortgage, 2 kids and a company that does not give annual pay reviews that is their only shot at getting out of the circle of despair. So, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Nasty choice.

They're hardly damned if they don't. If they stop spunking money on something they have absolutely no realistic chance of winning they will be better off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I read once but not sure how true it is that if you are over 55 you stand a better chance of passing away before the draw than winning it. That is assuming that you complete the entry form in time for the number to be accepted.

You stand more chance of dying at any age than winning the lottery. It's 14 million to one.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Ripped off again.....apart from the Euro draw where we pay £2 a line and the rest of Europe pay 2 euros, we pay 20p more a line....ten lines extra £2...
Now they want to double the £1 line to £2....with the excuse that the prizes are going up....jackpot from £4.1m to £5m. 5 +bonus.....being reduced....4 numbers going up from about £60 to £100...three numbers from £10 to £25.
Camelot director on £1m a year.
I know at least 8 people who are not going to play if the price doubles.

I think you may find that this has to do with the integration of a 4 times a week euro lotto.

It's the old problem that a company gets itself into with fixed price product. Poundshop's are another example. Their price is fixed but their costs go up each year so unless they can get price reductions from their suppliers - unlikely over a long period - their margins are eroded.

Camelot is in an even worse position. Not only is their selling price fixed, so is their margin. So in real terms this goes down every year.

They can only sustain this if they are a very profitable organisation, which they have been, but sooner or later they have to increase their margin in monetary terms.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I do a one line a Saturday syndicate at work. We got 5 numbers recently, which equated to £80 quid each, and have the rest of the small winnings saved each year for a pre-Christmas drink. Just a bit of fun really, with the extremely remote chance that we'll hit the big time and be able to retire early. Apart from that I get the odd lucky dip line if I'm passing a Newsagent and fancy a flutter. I'll still do the syndicate but will think twice about the odd purchase in between. Very misguided by Camelot I think.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
You stand more chance of dying at any age than winning the lottery. It's 14 million to one.

One that I heard, from a maths professor I think, is that if the average British citizen buys a ticket on Monday morning, they are 2000 times more likely to die before the draw on Saturday evening than to win the jackpot.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I read once but not sure how true it is that if you are over 55 you stand a better chance of passing away before the draw than winning it. That is assuming that you complete the entry form in time for the number to be accepted.

at Odds of 14 million to one, with 2 draws a week you should win the jackpot on average once every 134,615 years.

On that basis your statement is true for anyone of any age!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
2 pound a pop will put some off, the biggest dilemma will be for the syndicates as there are bound to be people within who would be adverse to giving another £1

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
[MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] nice ripping yarns in your sig mate :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
[MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] nice ripping yarns in your sig mate :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They're hardly damned if they don't. If they stop spunking money on something they have absolutely no realistic chance of winning they will be better off.

He has little or no chance of getting another job with even a slight increase in wage. the company don't do overtime, he has not had a rise for 4 years. The ridiculous hope of the lottery is about all he has.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I gave up the lottery long ago. The odds on winning anything is very low, I'd be more inclined to play if they split the jackpot into more smaller prizes. I sometimes do the football pools now, at least there's a bit of interest working out what the results could be and seeing how close i get. I never win anything on there either but it's more fun!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The lottery is fixed, they create rollovers to increase sales when the sales get low, they dish out single winners when it suits for the publicity, likewise make multiple winners if sales drop off, to convince people they have a chance.

Until they show someone actually dipping their hand in the machine and removing the ball, without the camera breaking from one view to another, there is no way it can be considered random. After the tickets have been bought they know exactly what numbers to push out to ensure who wins what. If they don't want anyone to win the rollover, they just make sure the numbers they put out ensures it. You never see those balls in one continuous frame from the point of being picked out by the machine until it runs down the little tube.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The lottery is a tax on the gullible.

Putting that aside, hasn't it been the same price since launch, which must be 15-20 years ago. It can't stay a quid forever, can it?

Very much this!!!

hear so many times stuff like well I've won about £300......................
How much do you spend a week?
£3-£5 been playing about 10 years mate
GO DO THE MATHS IDIOT :facepalm:
but but but I've won about £300!!! OK well £200 probaby. maybe bit less. That other week was a rollover and I played about £20 but at least got a tenner back
You just said play about £3 a week :moo:
yeah but if it's my birthday or something I'll buy loads, it's money I don't have so not lost it............. have I
It's in your F-in hand now you dick!!!!
ah but some bloke up the pub once won £100 and bought everyone a load of drinks, must have s[ent a grand that night :) amazing hope I can do that one day. Hen plays every game though must spend £20-£30 a week

Ah well if he once 'won' £100 I'll go get my wallet!!! Take it all back :O

Wow RANTville but idiots at work pee me off

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The lottery is fixed, they create rollovers to increase sales when the sales get low, they dish out single winners when it suits for the publicity, likewise make multiple winners if sales drop off, to convince people they have a chance.

Until they show someone actually dipping their hand in the machine and removing the ball, without the camera breaking from one view to another, there is no way it can be considered random. After the tickets have been bought they know exactly what numbers to push out to ensure who wins what. If they don't want anyone to win the rollover, they just make sure the numbers they put out ensures it. You never see those balls in one continuous frame from the point of being picked out by the machine until it runs down the little tube.

That sounds a bit far fetched to me Phil. Got any more substantive proof than dodgy camera angles and your possible liking for conspiricies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here