Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has camelot shot itself in the foot....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ripped off again.....apart from the Euro draw where we pay £2 a line and the rest of Europe pay 2 euros, we pay 20p more a line....ten lines extra £2...
Now they want to double the £1 line to £2....with the excuse that the prizes are going up....jackpot from £4.1m to £5m. 5 +bonus.....being reduced....4 numbers going up from about £60 to £100...three numbers from £10 to £25.
Camelot director on £1m a year.
I know at least 8 people who are not going to play if the price doubles.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Ripped off again.....apart from the Euro draw where we pay £2 a line and the rest of Europe pay 2 euros, we pay 20p more a line....ten lines extra £2...
Now they want to double the £1 line to £2....with the excuse that the prizes are going up....jackpot from £4.1m to £5m. 5 +bonus.....being reduced....4 numbers going up from about £60 to £100...three numbers from £10 to £25.
Camelot director on £1m a year.
I know at least 8 people who are not going to play if the price doubles.

You now know 9

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The lottery is a tax on the gullible.

Putting that aside, hasn't it been the same price since launch, which must be 15-20 years ago. It can't stay a quid forever, can it?

save up two quid a week.Then after a year you can say, wahey! I've won 104 quid! save up for two years and you'll have a mighty 208 pounds! save up for Three years etc etc.....anyone wanting sound financial advice do let me know

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
save up two quid a week.Then after a year you can say, wahey! I've won 104 quid! save up for two years and you'll have a mighty 208 pounds! save up for Three years etc etc.....anyone wanting sound financial advice do let me know

Yeah I do, whats the 6 winning numbers for tomorrow nights lottery draw (PM me the answer as otherwise they will all be on it!!)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The lottery is a tax on the gullible.

Putting that aside, hasn't it been the same price since launch, which must be 15-20 years ago. It can't stay a quid forever, can it?

Interesting debate but it's not like a normal business is it ? Not like milk and bread. You win a percentage of the money paid in.

I very very rarely play. When I do its usually a syndicate at work.

Personally I'll definitely play less at 2 quid. For a quid it's fun. Definitely play less if ever at 2 quid and I agree it's simply a tax on the gullible.

Probably time for Camelot to bugger off. They have the contract far too long.

Genuinely surprised it's televised by the BBC.

Jul 20, 2003
40+ a syndicate bites the dust

saving stupidity tax and merely pissing £2 a week on the Euro Millions.......... f*** the good causes ..... they're not funding 'handball'

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Lottery price rise 'an unfair tax on the stupid'

DOUBLING the cost of a lottery ticket to £2 represents a tax on idiots, it has been claimed.

The National Lottery targets stupid people through adverts in which a pretend millionaire of ambiguous nationality goes on speedboats.

Gambling expert Roy Hobbs said: “Stupid, gullible people have got enough on their plates just trying to open doors and use cutlery.

“They don’t need tawdry dream-vendors putting them under the additional pressure of having to spend twice as much cash on what is probably not a ticket to their dreams.”

The lottery has also been described as a ‘tax on the poor’.

However IQ tester Nikki Hollis said: “The words ‘poor’ and ‘thick’ are not interchangeable.

“A quick glance at BBC Parliament reveals plenty of affluent people with shit for brains.”

Meanwhile, Camelot said that doubling the price will double your chances of winning the jackpot.

A spokesman said: “A lot of angry people contacted us saying they would be okay as long it meant they had twice as many chances and we said, ‘yeah, sure it does, whatever’.

“They were very excited by this and it would be wrong of us to make them all angry again.”

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read once but not sure how true it is that if you are over 55 you stand a better chance of passing away before the draw than winning it. That is assuming that you complete the entry form in time for the number to be accepted.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The prizes are so high that people will still not resist and after a short period of resentment it will be back to business as usual.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a tax on the poor and stupid.

That's why I do 3 lines.

I can't afford £12 a week so something's got to give.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
my old man budgets his retirement quite well,

he allows for his weekly football bet,the direct debit for his season ticket,the odd jolly down the pub,trip to the cinema etc etc

he manages to tweak his budget with the ever increasing rises in fuel and food bills,he usually lets out a little bit of a moan about it though.

he has a flutter of £10 a week on the lottery but on hearing about the doubling of the stakes i was a little surprised to hear this gentile old codger exclaim "what a f***ing rip off ive got a better chance of making money pissing it all away down at ladbrokes"

i think he is one for the im not continuing camp

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Ignored the 'less is more' ideal by introducing a midweek game & various others to justify employing ideas people. A solitary £1 game once a week would be bringing in more income than they currently receive

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
If I can find enough sports on in a week to put on a 14 million to one accumulator I'd win 14 million quid for a pound bet. The lottery would bet me three or four? If I'm going to gamble on such ridiculous odds, I expect to win relative to the odds. As the people who play the lottery don't get this or don care, I assume they will still play. Nobody ever went bankrupt aiming their products at the stupid and gullible. Except maybe Gerald Ratner.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If I can find enough sports on in a week to put on a 14 million to one accumulator I'd win 14 million quid for a pound bet. The lottery would bet me three or four? If I'm going to gamble on such ridiculous odds, I expect to win relative to the odds. As the people who play the lottery don't get this or don care, I assume they will still play. Nobody ever went bankrupt aiming their products at the stupid and gullible. Except maybe Gerald Ratner.

You wouldn't though, as bookies have a maximum pay-out rule. Your get 1 million for your 14 million to one shot.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Ignored the 'less is more' ideal by introducing a midweek game & various others to justify employing ideas people. A solitary £1 game once a week would be bringing in more income than they currently receive

I stopped doing it as soon as the midweeks started. I'm very pleased I stopped then and didn't get involved in all this thunderball balls.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's the way of the world to expect any business to increase its takings year on year. But, after the launch all those years ago I'm pretty sure that incomes have fallen from the heady days when they used to offer a £10 M + weekly or rollover 1st prize.
A lot of sensible people have drifted out of playing as they have realised the odds on winning are pretty slim. I know a friend and his wife do about 4 lines a week made up of " their " significant numbers/birthdates and they were cheesed off by the introduction of the midweek draw in case those numbers came up then. So, their lottery outlay doubled. then they introduced the Euro Millions which meant further outlay in case those magic numbers came in in a draw they had not entered.

So now they will be faced with doubling the cost but, when you are struggling with the mortgage, 2 kids and a company that does not give annual pay reviews that is their only shot at getting out of the circle of despair. So, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Nasty choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here