Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Bloom shot himself in the foot?

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I just dont get it

Over a month ago, Bloom came out in the press and stated that he would be disappointed to be in the play-offs. (and not automatic)

Two weeks later after speculation of a big transfer kitty, Poyet comes out and says that we will not be spending big bucks, and our budget will only increase by 10%.

Now, with Southampton, Charlton, Wednesday, Millwall, Huddersfield, and others POSSIBLY in League One next year, how the f*** can we be aiming for automatic with the players we have. Good players come at a price. I just feel it was completely FOOLISH for Bloom to come out with a "top two target", getting fans worked up, and then for a big letdown with a 10% budget increase, and no massive buys.

Bloom is either keeping his wallet closed, or things are being kept quiet so the club is not ripped off by greedy agents or clubs wanting big bucks for thier players.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
It was a very bold statement that TB made.
If he wants Gus to achieve his dream of Championship football at Falmer then he will have to get his wallet out.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
It was a very bold statement that TB made.
If he wants Gus to achieve his dream of Championship football at Falmer then he will have to get his wallet out.

Silly statement. Particularly if we f*** up next season.:wrong:

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
I just dont get it

Over a month ago, Bloom came out in the press and stated that he would be disappointed to be in the play-offs. (and not automatic)

Two weeks later after speculation of a big transfer kitty, Poyet comes out and says that we will not be spending big bucks, and our budget will only increase by 10%.

Now, with Southampton, Charlton, Wednesday, Millwall, Huddersfield, and others POSSIBLY in League One next year, how the f*** can we be aiming for automatic with the players we have. Good players come at a price. I just feel it was completely FOOLISH for Bloom to come out with a "top two target", getting fans worked up, and then for a big letdown with a 10% budget increase, and no massive buys.

Bloom is either keeping his wallet closed, or things are being kept quiet so the club is not ripped off by greedy agents or clubs wanting big bucks for thier players.

If our budget increases by 10% we WILL be competing with the said big spending clubs

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I just dont get it

I do understand what your saying mate and in the whole I do agree with you.

But the one thing you have to remember is, Gus Poyet is not going to come out and make a statement of "Weve got loadzaaa money"

If he does that, we will have players taking the piss all over the show and agents. I think we will go quietly about our business snapping up good players and reasonable prices.

I wouldnt read too much into the 10% thing, its just a ball park figure and with Gus in charge and the exciting times ahead we will I feel attract the right sort of player to the club. Not many teams spend shed loads and get success, just look at Huddersfield...they havent set this league alight....when you look at teams like Swindon and Millwall who were both more or less 90 mins away from going up today and they didnt go mad in last summer spending wise.

Bloom knows he will need to spend and spend he will, dont believe all you read or hear in our local press.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We have a budget like every other team, Soton are always going to have a bigger one because they have a bigger stadium and billionaire chairmen who lets Pardew spunk it on what ever he wants. Would expect Poyet offered Calderon what he though a league 1 right back was worth and will have other options lined up

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think it was a mistake to talk about the top 2. Talk up chasing promotion but to say you'll be disappointed if we finish 3rd or below will put pressure on all concerned at the club

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I do understand what your saying mate and in the whole I do agree with you.

But the one thing you have to remember is, Gus Poyet is not going to come out and make a statement of "Weve got loadzaaa money"

If he does that, we will have players taking the piss all over the show and agents. I think we will go quietly about our business snapping up good players and reasonable prices.

I wouldnt read too much into the 10% thing, its just a ball park figure and with Gus in charge and the exciting times ahead we will I feel attract the right sort of player to the club. Not many teams spend shed loads and get success, just look at Huddersfield...they havent set this league alight....when you look at teams like Swindon and Millwall who were both more or less 90 mins away from going up today and they didnt go mad in last summer spending wise.

Bloom knows he will need to spend and spend he will, dont believe all you read or hear in our local press.

I know, I am mainly suggesting that TB should have kept quiet, and made a statement as the season begins.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I know, I am mainly suggesting that TB should have kept quiet, and made a statement as the season begins.

It was a mad statement and I think its brought un-needed pressure on Gus and the players. Yes getting promoted has to be the target, but automatic and nothing less is a unrealistic.

Bloom could be playing a dangerous game and messing with a character like Poyet who seems he takes no shit could prove dangerous.

Poyet has already come out and said he will tell us after the summer once weve got a squad ready, whether its acheivable or not what Bloom said. I just worry that if we miss out on targets or dont get the playing budget expected that come september and sides come knocking for Poyet after the first few managerial sackings, that he just walks as its too much pressure and hassle with a chairman who makes unrealistic demands.

Unlikely but possible.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Premotion will not happen dont be suprised if we are bottom half next season:us:

a bit of optimism huh :lolol:

we have a wage structure and should not exceed our limits for someone unless we want everyone else to jump on the bandwagon and ultimately risk ending up in administration.

who would be surprised to see saints promoted and then go bust again within the next 5 years - there are no real penalties as long as you have the "name" and crowd potential to attract potential suitors which they have whilst we do not (at present anyway). The benefits outweigh the risks in the crazy world of football.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Yeah totally stupid. Doom and gloom. We're up against bigger and wealthier clubs. Might as well not bother and just accept mid table mediocrity now. In fact I don't think I even want to be a Brighton fan anymore.

FFS people lighten up!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did he release a statement, or did he answer a question?

If it's the latter would you prefer he had lower expectations?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The rumour of the size of our budget ,i hope now has ended,Calderon perhaps was creating an auction for his services,and now we have withdrawn,it might be himself who has shot his own foot !

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Did he release a statement, or did he answer a question?

If it's the latter would you prefer he had lower expectations?

No, I love high expectations. Though normally you need the substance to pull it off.

Leicester Seagull

Oct 24, 2009
I think it was a mistake to talk about the top 2. Talk up chasing promotion but to say you'll be disappointed if we finish 3rd or below will put pressure on all concerned at the club

completely agree with this. I for one would see promotion next season as a massive bonus.

What I expect to see and would be satisfied with, is a continuation of the progress we've seen in the latter half of this season so that we can keep the momentum going and make a sustainable promotion push once at Falmer- which will surely only serve to spur things on even more once we're out of the Withdean. If we want to be a real successful club, it's all about consistency, stability and momentum.

If this whole Calderon incident says anything to me, then it is that we have an astute manager/chairman who are in it for the long haul and have the club's interests at heart, and aren't going to throw money at players who show any lack of commitment.

So you scummers can take the spanish tosser. The Gus Bus rolls on!!! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here