Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Barnes actually touched the ball in our last 4 games?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Most of Barnes fans like him because of his defensive duties, yet moan that we play too defensive at the Amex. I'd say either play him upfront or, more preferably, drop him for the home games to give Buckley or KLL a chance to start. We have the meanest defense in the league, why does one of our strikers/wingers need to be on the pitch to defend too?

Thems the truths.

I am not sure that, if we play a 4-3-3, we can afford to have one of the front three's main contribution to the team being strong at chasing back. I can understand bringing him on if we are a goal up and looking to defend the lead, as happened when he came on for Orlandi in the Watford game, but, having him on from the start just limits our attacking options.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Most of Barnes fans like him because of his defensive duties, yet moan that we play too defensive at the Amex. I'd say either play him upfront or, more preferably, drop him for the home games to give Buckley or KLL a chance to start. We have the meanest defense in the league, why does one of our strikers/wingers need to be on the pitch to defend too?

Have you ever considered that it for precisely this reason that our defence is so good? As I said on another thread, Bridge is an excellent player but he benefits massively from Barnes creating space in front of him EVERY MATCH. There is no way Bridge would be able to play so advanced without a) Barnes dragging defenders out of position all match and b) having a mixture of Barnes and El-Abd shifting to cover.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He didn't have a great game, but certainly no worse than any others really. I really don't get the Barnes bashing, we have an excellent young player on our books, being played out of position, and in a position where he does a lot for the team, but makes it difficult for him to personally shine, and just gets a load of shit.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Thems the truths.

I am not sure that, if we play a 4-3-3, we can afford to have one of the front three's main contribution to the team being strong at chasing back. I can understand bringing him on if we are a goal up and looking to defend the lead, as happened when he came on for Orlandi in the Watford game, but, having him on from the start just limits our attacking options.

This I have nothing against Barnes as a player and he does a role for the team but especially at home it does seem to be wasting an attacking option either push him forward as a striker who can cover occasionally or swap for a more attacking option. He has his place but I think it can be negative to use him in that role every game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He didn't have a great game, but certainly no worse than any others really. I really don't get the Barnes bashing, we have an excellent young player on our books, being played out of position, and in a position where he does a lot for the team, but makes it difficult for him to personally shine, and just gets a load of shit.

lol som make a career out of bashing ..some love the attention they get from doing it i suspect WW falls into the latter group

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Thems the truths.

Oh god, 100% this. Oh, and his header in the second half was an appalling miss.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As a wide midfield player in an average Championship side he is perfectly adequate.

We don't have the resources of some of our competitors, so have to play with what we have.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
There's certainly one player who seems to be getting a good deal - people are so busy getting frustrated by Poyet's crap tactics and signings that they're not noticing My Anonymous himself.

And you wonder why we don't look like scoring...

We should ban away supporters with fans like this, the visiting team doesn't need them and it will save all sorts of travel problems. We could make this bloke and all his moaning mates stand in the South Stand it will be far more effective for the visitors.

I have a couple like him sitting near me and have come to the conclusion that they don't have much in their life and just take it out on others which for 90 mins includes our players.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
We don't have the resources of some of our competitors, so have to play with what we have.

On Saturday we had Buckley, KLL and Dobbie on the bench. Three players who would WALK into the majority of teams in this league. Claiming that we are struggling because we don't have as stronger squad, or as bigger wallet, as others in the league doesn't really wash.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Well that's a glowing endorsement: "Ashley Barnes – perfectly adequate".

We had Lua Lua and Buckers (ok, not 100% fit, granted) warming the bench and Orlandi can play there as well. At home we don't seem to be playing with what we have until it's too late and the opposition have 10 men behind the ball. And does Bridge really, really need all this protection that Barnes supposedly gives? I thought the point of having three midfielders is that there's always someone (normally Liam) to protect the back four if an attack breaks down (ironically because Barnes has more often than not giving it away or been muscled off the ball).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On Saturday we had Buckley, KLL and Dobbie on the bench. Three players who would WALK into the majority of teams in this league. Claiming that we are struggling because we don't have as stronger squad, or as bigger wallet, as others in the league doesn't really wash.

suggest u c the bashers thread on Dobbie......buckley wasnt 100% ..etc etc....i wont go into the wallet argument thats a whole different one

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
suggest u c the bashers thread on Dobbie......buckley wasnt 100% ..etc etc....i wont go into the wallet argument thats a whole different one

I did see that thread, I just didn't agree with it. He is a player who looks like he might make something happen, and is willing to try things, which is what we need when teams are packing 10 men behind the ball.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
As a wide midfield player in an average Championship side he is perfectly adequate.

EP.... as wide player supposedly, he did a good job not doing his job, especially in the first half, spending a lot of his time standing next to cms up front...... what were his duties for the day.... we are all guessing at what Gus told him to do of course.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He is a player who looks like he might make something happen, ....

I wonder exactly how many games of not making anything happen, you will allow him then?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh, and his header in the second half was an appalling miss.

We had three headed chances in that game, and ALL three of them should really have scored. Hammond put his ten feet over the bar. Crofts put his five feet over the bar. Barnes headed his down, but close to the keepr, who could only parry it into the path of CMS. Yes - clearly it was BARNES who was most guiilty of the 'appalling miss'. Well done.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We had three headed chances in that game, and ALL three of them should really have scored. Hammond put his ten feet over the bar. Crofts put his five feet over the bar. Barnes headed his down, but close to the keepr, who could only parry it into the path of CMS. Yes - clearly it was BARNES who was most guiilty of the 'appalling miss'. Well done.

But of course... he is what he is... not good enough.... the others are or have showed good skill and experience....

....are you his mother or something?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But of course... he is what he is... not good enough.... the others are or have showed good skill and experience....

....are you his mother or something?

I see you are from Somerset, do you make most games? If you do I have this mental image of you driving home fuming after every game.

I can't believe that you have this intense dislike if you don't see him play regularly?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

lol som make a career out of bashing ..some love the attention they get from doing it i suspect WW falls into the latter group

Agree with both of these comments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here