Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

has anyone actually bought/seen an ipad yet, in Brighton?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apologies in advance for being dim, but how is this machine a 'walking encyclopedia / newspaper, etc' if it doesn't have an internet connection? Surely its all those things, but ONLY if you're in a wi'fi zone??

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's a bit Marmite isn't it ? You either want one or you don't. I can see what's good about them but it's too expensive for my likes. Interesting which read on the BBC web site, apparently Bill Gates is rather worried about the fact his software is obsolete and the Japanese are developing new stuff that he can't use.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
:nono: Not a personal attack on you, but that would be a really sad day for mankind.

Anyway, a book will never be replaced. I LOVE to read to books, and newspapers. It gets me away from all these glaring computer screens, which deaden my mind and effectively waste my life away. Can't think of anything worse than reading stuff all of a screen. It actually makes me feel ill.

At least you can understand books

i can't wait for the time when i want to watch a movie or something on my ipad that i just hold it up the whole time cool

Unlike this

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apologies in advance for being dim, but how is this machine a 'walking encyclopedia / newspaper, etc' if it doesn't have an internet connection? Surely its all those things, but ONLY if you're in a wi'fi zone??

The conventional answer is simply to buy the 3g (i.e. Internet always on) iPad model, or tether it to one of many phones for internet access or use a MiFi.

Alternatively, all of Wikipedia is available as an offline installed app - Encyclopedia for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store as is the Encyclopedia Britannica - Britannica Concise Encyclopedia 2010 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store. Similarly, the newspaper apps download and sync to your device when you're connected for reading when you're not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The conventional answer is simply to buy the 3g (i.e. Internet always on) iPad model, or tether it to one of many phones for internet access or use a MiFi.

Alternatively, all of Wikipedia is available as an offline installed app - Encyclopedia for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store as is the Encyclopedia Britannica - Britannica Concise Encyclopedia 2010 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store. Similarly, the newspaper apps download and sync to your device when you're connected for reading when you're not.

So how much does a 3g i-pad cost, and do you then have to pay a monthly subscription, too?

I don't know what a mi-fi is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ipad #5 due for release in a couple of weeks, i reckon.

muppets!

I think you're getting confused between iPhones (now on version 4) and iPads (version 1).

Regardless, there won't be a new version of either any time soon and it seems that the much publicised reception issue with the iPhone 4 will be remedied by a software release (iOS 4.0.1) which will be released soon, possibly today. No iPhone (or iPad) version 5 en route.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So how much does a 3g i-pad cost, and do you then have to pay a monthly subscription, too?

I don't know what a mi-fi is.

Base model 3g iPad is £529 I believe. There are various data packages available from all of the mobile network providers both contract and PAYG.

MiFi is a little gadget you (well, I) carry around that connects to the mobile network and allows you to create your own wireless hotspot in order that you can connect your laptops, iPods, iPads etc to the internet whenever and wherever you are.

Internet on the go with Mobile Broadband from 3

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here