Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys have a new 4 year deal @ the Amex

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Its a shame we cant have the away guest ales in the home concourses

What a great idea. A different beer to try every game. I'm up for that!
UTA

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is simply not true. There are a number of small UK breweries which make great lagers which are not premium: Brewdog 77, Meantime make a number of different lagers, Hepworth Blonde, Camden Brewery lager and Thornbridge make a Kolsh style drink as do Meantime. I could go on. All are distinct in taste. Then there's a host of German imports like Warsteiner, Krombacher which are available in Brighton. I think I have seen Rothaus as well.

And the likelihood of one of them being widely available throughout The Amex is?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And the likelihood of one of them being widely available throughout The Amex is?

Slim whilst Azure do not have any on their roster. Odd question.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Also, Krombacker, Bitburger and Warsteiner are the 2,3,4th biggest selling breweries in Germany. Their lagers which are sold over here are decent, cheap and entry level; not premium in the slightest. I'm sorry but to say lager is lager is simply plain ignorant.

Do you wear sandals? We are talking mainstream beers here-you have gone off on a "I'll drag out some obscure beers to make my point" route. DO you really consider the beers you mention as 'normal' lagers? These are the ones I consider to be impossible to tell apart. I'm well aware of the German beers you've mentioned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you wear sandals? We are talking mainstream beers here-you have gone off on a "I'll drag out some obscure beers to make my point" route. DO you really consider the beers you mention as 'normal' lagers? These are the ones I consider to be impossible to tell apart. I'm well aware of the German beers you've mentioned.

You wrote 'lager is lager.' I'm saying it isn't.

As for sandals I do, a pair of nubuck Birkinstocks. I might even wear them if we have a sunny day. I'm wearing Vans at the moment though.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is simply not true. There are a number of small UK breweries which make great lagers which are not premium: Brewdog 77, Meantime make a number of different lagers, Hepworth Blonde, Camden Brewery lager and Thornbridge make a Kolsh style drink as do Meantime. I could go on. All are distinct in taste. Then there's a host of German imports like Warsteiner, Krombacher which are available in Brighton. I think I have seen Rothaus as well.

Kolsh is not a lager it is a top fermented beer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kolsh is not a lager it is a top fermented beer.

"Kolsch—like the Altbier and Weissbier but unlike all British ales—is a lagered brew, which means that it takes almost two months between brewing a batch and then tapping it."

Below is the link to the German Beer Institute where this quote was taken.

Klsch

It could also be called a pale ale but I think it is fair to group it in with lagers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'll drink almost anything as long as it gets me there, past success's include Cotleigh,Dark Star, Batemans, St.Austell, Holsten, King & Barnes, Rochforte, St. Barnardus, Westmalle and Westvlleteren....mind you, I draw the line at Harveys

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd love to stay and discuss but I'm off out now. Have a good night everyone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It could also be called a pale ale but I think it is fair to group it in with lagers.

not really lager though, its considered ale. from your source:
the modern Kölsch (the beer) is Germany's only true, all-barley, pale ale. The other German pale ale is, of course, the Bavarian Weissbier or Weizen

in the end it occupies the intersection of lager/ale in the venn diagram of beer. lagers are bottom fermented and lagered (long, cool conditioning), british ales are top fermented with short conditioning, some europeans like to mix the two.

as someone who enjoys the whole range of brewed hop infusions, it has to be said that overall the bottom fermented/lagered beverage is more uniform in its flavor. they rely much more on hop variation and there isnt so much variation with three main hops, Saaz, Tettenanger and Hallertau family. meanwhile the ales uses hop variation from a much broader palette, but also gain alot from the top fermenting yeast that give more differences.

i do recall the Bitburger in particular was inexpensive in the past, not perceived as a premium brand, so maybe there are cheap options available. some of the others mentioned, like Meantime and Brewdog, aint cheap.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd definitely support a campaign to get a decent cider at The Amex, as Strongbow is horrible, but way better than Harveys in my opinion.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

in the end it occupies the intersection of lager/ale in the venn diagram of beer. lagers are bottom fermented and lagered, british ales are top fermented with short storage, some europeans like to mix the two.

as someone who enjoys the whole range of brewed hop infusions, it has to be said that overall the bottom fermented/lagered beverage is more uniform in its flavor. they rely much more on hop variation and there isnt so much variation amongst them (about three main hops, Saaz, Tettenanger and Hallertau family). mean while the ales use both hop variation from a much broader palette, but also gain alot from the top fermenting yeast that give more differences.

i do recall the Bitburger in particular was inexpensive in the past, not perceived as a premium brand, so maybe there are cheap options available. some of the others mentioned, like Meantime and Brewdog, aint cheap.

But, if it gets you there why worry ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

in the end it occupies the intersection of lager/ale in the venn diagram of beer. lagers are bottom fermented and lagered (long, cool conditioning), british ales are top fermented with short conditioning, some europeans like to mix the two.

as someone who enjoys the whole range of brewed hop infusions, it has to be said that overall the bottom fermented/lagered beverage is more uniform in its flavor. they rely much more on hop variation and there isnt so much variation amongst them (about three main hops, Saaz, Tettenanger and Hallertau family). mean while the ales use both hop variation from a much broader palette, but also gain alot from the top fermenting yeast that give more differences.

I am totally in awe :bowdown:
I drink it and I think I know about it but WOW!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

as someone who enjoys the whole range of brewed hop infusions, it has to be said that overall the bottom fermented/lagered beverage is more uniform in its flavor. they rely much more on hop variation and there isnt so much variation with three main hops, Saaz, Tettenanger and Hallertau family. meanwhile the ales uses hop variation from a much broader palette, but also gain alot from the top fermenting yeast that give more differences.

I personally think kolsch is closer to lager than ale but it's not something I wish to dig my heels in about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I guess that means bland, or perhaps sameish.

not at all. there are good and bad lagers, there is a range of differences between them. its just they tend to have a narrower range than ales, which can taste like a buscuit or a fruit salad.

Below is the link to the German Beer Institute where this quote was taken.

Klsch

that is a cracking site btw,:cheers: the question begs, will there be lagers at the micropub?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
that is a cracking site btw,:cheers: the question begs, will there be lagers at the micropub?

This was asked and in principle yes, there is no issue with serving lager. No one saw any point in serving up Fosters etc so it will probably be something else. It's just a concept at the moment though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here