Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys have a new 4 year deal @ the Amex

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What about some half decent cider?

Have any of you cider/lager drinkers campaigned to get a better drink made available?

In the build up (years) to The Amex construction starting and its opening the club was made well aware of the need for a half decent beer for real ale drinkers-the sale of John Smith's and the like would not have been well received and the club/Azure would have nowhere near the sales figures that they got in year 1. Lager is lager (sorry but it is) and it is difficult to tell one from another (unless you get into Premium brands). Real ale is different: when it is good it is delicious but when it's mass produced 'National Brands' it is dreadful-one step removed from Watney's Red Barrel or Party 7. Everything about The Amex has been different to other clubs and the post match drinking in the concourses has been a massive success with Harvey's and Hophead running out on a regular basis (every game) as a result. I'd be willing to bet that there would be a massive drop in revenue if there was a shift over to shite beer(s). Keep the decent real ales but pester the club for better quality lager and cider if that's what you want-Harveys and Hophead didn't just appear, we all let the club know what we were after in terms of ales.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1. Lager is lager (sorry but it is) and it is difficult to tell one from another.

This is simply not true. There are a number of small UK breweries which make great lagers which are not premium: Brewdog 77, Meantime make a number of different lagers, Hepworth Blonde, Camden Brewery lager and Thornbridge make a Kolsh style drink as do Meantime. I could go on. All are distinct in taste. Then there's a host of German imports like Warsteiner, Krombacher which are available in Brighton. I think I have seen Rothaus as well.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The choice of Harvey's for a real ale was a bit of a no brainer - local brew known and accepted by most beer drinkers (proven by the sales) and another local brew, Dark Star, as an addition/backup.

Choosing a "better" lager than Fosters won't be easy. Mr. Tubthumper has pointed out some no doubt excellent lagers but only a tiny percentage of Amex lager drinkers will have heard of them. How would an acceptable lager be chosen; organising a vote would be a nightmare - choose from 5, 10, 20 - and which ones to select from?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
This is simply not true. There are a number of small UK breweries which make great lagers which are not premium: Brewdog 77, Meantime make a number of different lagers, Hepworth Blonde, Camden Brewery lager and Thornbridge make a Kolsh style drink as do Meantime. I could go on. All are distinct in taste. Then there's a host of German imports like Warsteiner, Krombacher which are available in Brighton. I think I have seen Rothaus as well.
I love Rothaus.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ahh, the final piece of the Jigsaw. I understand Vicente wanted to be sure this deal was over the line before committing to the club. Another great contract extension!:cheers:

That would be amusing if this thread wasn't two months old :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How will the Harvey's 4 year deal be impacted when the Stadium wide beer and lager sponsorship comes to fruition ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How will the Harvey's 4 year deal be impacted when the Stadium wide beer and lager sponsorship comes to fruition ?

I suspect that soft drinks offer the best way forward in terms of sponsorship deals because of the limitations on linking alcohol and sport through advertising so probably not going to be an issue.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I've never known it to run out across the whole wsu, they always have some after the match.

On four occasions I had to drink reindeer piss because they had run out of Harveys in the WSU.
Its a shame we cant have the away guest ales in the home concourses.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I suspect that soft drinks offer the best way forward in terms of sponsorship deals because of the limitations on linking alcohol and sport through advertising so probably not going to be an issue.

I was thinking more along the lines of a brewery conglomerate supplying their own beers and lagers in a virtual exclusivity deal throughout the stadium. This would be tied into a shirt sponsorship deal (current shirt sponsorship expires at the end of the season)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Wasn't there n a story going around before we ever finally started on building The Amex that Coca Cola wanted 4 named stadiums in England 1 in each North South East and West of the country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

sorry, Bwian is right and did qualify it with "premium". or do we mean "premium" as in the false name the breweries give to some of their fare? all those you mention cost more than a Fosters which is the point.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I like the Meantime Helles. The Duke of Wellington do it sometimes. Mind you if the Amex did Bruge Zot which is creeping in around a few Sussex pubs then I,d be hard to ever get out of the ground.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
sorry, Bwian is right and did qualify it with "premium". or do we mean "premium" as in the false name the breweries give to some of their fare? all those you mention cost more than a Fosters which is the point.

None of them are premium. They're just regular beers and promoted as such and this is why I listed them. Brewdog actually make a premium version of their 77 lager. And yes, they all cost more than Fosters but it's disingenuous to use the cheapest lager as a bench mark; a pint of mineral water is probably more than Fosters but you would not call this a premium drink.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like the Meantime Helles. The Duke of Wellington do it sometimes. Mind you if the Amex did Bruge Zot which is creeping in around a few Sussex pubs then I,d be hard to ever get out of the ground.

Meantime make some wonderful lager beers. You're right, Helles is lovely as is Kolscher. Their London Lager is incredibly fresh and smooth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Also, Krombacker, Bitburger and Warsteiner are the 2,3,4th biggest selling breweries in Germany. Their lagers which are sold over here are decent, cheap and entry level; not premium in the slightest. I'm sorry but to say lager is lager is simply plain ignorant.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Great to see the club supporting a local company to the benefit of both. Way to go!

This all the way.

One of the great things about how the club is being run. Not only selling a decent pint it is supporting a local business!

As someone has stated previously to improve service on the mobile stands would be having someone collecting money whilst the other pours.

Just having a nice pint of Fullers Extra Special ESB as we talk...err type... Happy days!

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was thinking more along the lines of a brewery conglomerate supplying their own beers and lagers in a virtual exclusivity deal throughout the stadium. This would be tied into a shirt sponsorship deal (current shirt sponsorship expires at the end of the season)

see where you're coming from but assuming Harveys have a contract it couldn't really happen for the next 4 years (thankfully!)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Mmmmm.... Brugge Zot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here