Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Phone In

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Jamie fair point, regardless of what people might think I have still have the highest respect for both DK and Martin and the good that they continue to do.
However I do have concerns, borne out of the fact the country's finances are almost in meltdown, is a large mortgage, and the problems it could bring, going to put the club under even more pressure?

Thanks for taking on board the point and I look forward to you making the point to the next moaning minnie that calls you.

As for finance, then the money is either there or its not, or its on the way. There is no alternative and so why have a go at people doing their best is ill thought out and frankly ungrateful . If there is a problem with finance then you are not half as worried a Dick Knight or Martin Perry. However they are doing their best so to carp is a whinging, negative attitude that is as pointless as it is cowardly.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
But is it negative?

I want the stadium, I want Martin Perry to build it, I want Dick Knight all dewey eyed in the centre circle at the first game, even name the thing after him.

However I would hope that in financing the project we don't enter into loan agreements that end up putting the whole future of the club in jepoardy, we need to learn the lessons from the likes of Coventry, Leicester and Southampton.

I'm not saying that they don't know what their doing, because clearly they do, however this is the worst financial crisis since the 1930's, and no matter what people might think its a factor which takes certain things out of the club's control.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
But is it negative?

I want the stadium, I want Martin Perry to build it, I want Dick Knight all dewey eyed in the centre circle at the first game, even name the thing after him.

However I would hope that in financing the project we don't enter into loan agreements that end up putting the whole future of the club in jepoardy, we need to learn the lessons from the likes of Coventry, Leicester and Southampton.

I'm not saying that they don't know what their doing, because clearly they do, however this is the worst financial crisis since the 1930's, and no matter what people might think its a factor which takes certain things out of the club's control.

I hear that Harty but the "learn the lesson" viewpoint lacks detail. What do you mean? What specific lesson and how does each specific situation relate to the Albion, and much more importantly, what is the alternative?

If anyone takes out a loan then there is a risk that it cannot be paid back. So what is the point? Is your point that the club should not build the ground because they might not be able to pay it back? If so, then we may as well pack up and all go home.

To say "there is a credit crisis not seen since the 1930's is stating the blinking obvious ! Are the club having problems raising the money, I have no idea. maybe, and if they are then well, so what? they can only do their best.

I hope you don't think i am having a pop. I'm not and I used to buy gulls eye off you as a kid in the late 1980s off you. You have done really well and respect for that but you can be a bit kind to those that just will not think though an opinion.

By the way, why was virgo right wing instead of Joe Aiansah. Tat was almost as bad a decision as when he put Richards left wing. Tere we go. 9oh and im not an adams out person, just pointing out that Adams seems to have a few favourites that have to play - an Virgo seems one o them. he is not a midfielder, or a striker. if he cant make the team as a defender, then he should be dropped. hHowever I would play him at centre back with Elphick, but what do I now?)

Last thing, have a look at my post to "ask the club" about the marketing. The marketing director shoul be asked to explain his marketing strategy on your show.

Thanks mate

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree. not very often, with MP when he said the finance would be in place when needed. Could we afford the interest etc if it was put in place now. Answer No we couldnt it would break the club so better that it is available when needed in 2 or 3 years time. Until then we must believe in DK and Mp and hope that they can produce the goods on time.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
This is an articulate discussion regarding the concerns and hope that all fans feel. Good thing it wasn't on a Falmer-related thread, or it would have been taken over by TLO and Arthur, thus leading to name-calling and :yawn:

Well done all of you.

The lesson that is there to be learned - by ANY football club thinking about building a stadium - is to stay clear of partnership deals with housing developers and other high-risk sectors of the economy.

The Albion have chosen to climb into bed with much more secure partners, in the community and education sectors. This may be more by luck than anything else, but it does mean that some of the effects of the credit crunch aren't hitting us. It also means that the stadium project has the active support of some significant public sector players, including the City Council and SEEDA.

All this no doubt makes for a particularly complex set of arrangements for funding the stadium, but at least the project is still on track. If we'd have planned to finance the scheme through a housing partnership deal (like, for example, Bristol Rovers did with their plans), Falmer would be dead in the water by now.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Jordan was actually a first time caller, who was taking his Grandad, Ron from Portslade, a long time caller who is seriously ill, back to the Martlets Hospice.

The Doctors at the Hospice let Ron out to the game yesterday and he came and sat in his wheelchair by the press box, it may be the last time he gets the chance to see the club he has spported all of his life, a fact which might put the words and opinions of some of the posters on NSC into perspective.

Makes me rather angry to think of all the people who've delayed the ground for so long. People like this guy will probably never get to see us in our new home :(

Makes me rather angry to think of all the people who've delayed the ground for so long. People like this guy will probably never get to see us in our new home :(

And so say all of us - but not all here temper that thought, with the one that remains in tandem; there'd be no FOOTBALL without Dick Knight being there to stand up for the Albion.
Regardless of stadiums, roofs, comforts and big names - there's football being played under the name of Brighton and Hove Albion for all these old guys (and girls) to see.

I won't overstate it, but neither should it be understated or ignored - and anyone moaning about 'dick tight' or trying to make his motives out to be imperfect can take a running jump - or crawl across the pitch and kiss him like they ought to.

Support of the board and club is what we can do, so may as well do that to the max until we walk in and take our seats grateful for all we are about to receive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here