Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is me folks.

Dave the call in king

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
There were way too many ermm and ahhhs for me Dave, you rambled on, said we don't want to go up, lost connection once and then it ended.

WTF???

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
The phone in really struggled last night. DTG and Lush were the only decent callers. There was also a lot of padding with 'banter' between Colon and Harty.

Unfortunately I can't call after games since I don't possess a mobile phone (before Harty suggests I should be calling)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'd had enough before Lush made it to the phone!

Harty mate, stop trying to be a comedian and get to the callers. Stop bollocking Colon (Why didn't his mother just call him Rectum?) for letting everyone know that the phones are dead.

I thought that was a classic.

Harty - "Let's go to the phones!"
Colon - "She's shaking her head at me!"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Then Dave came on, then went, then came back again. Made some good points before going on about how good Henry is and how we can't afford to go up!

Last edited:

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I was at work and had a chance to listen to the radio for a bit I was so embarrassed when Fifi came on thank god Lush saved the day.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I must admit it does annoy me when Harty says "Right we must have some women on" Fair enough, women have the right to make their point, and women like Lush do it well. However, I think we should be able to filter out bints like "fifi".

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lammy said:
I must admit it does annoy me when Harty says "Right we must have some women on" Fair enough, women have the right to make their point, and women like Lush do it well. However, I think we should be able to filter out bints like "fifi".

I must apologise for not ringing in last night but I was enjoying myself in the pub.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No I didn't, although my view of McGhee hasn't changed after a couple of results. I will reserve full judgement until the end of the season when he has his opportunity to chnage things his way.

The "can't afford to go up" bit. Am I wrong?

This year, in the second division, we have not spent one penny on buying players ( correct me if I am wrong but Leon cost nothing)

We are losing shed loads of money just being Withdean we are told.

There is no money for new players...we are told.

Not even the most die hard person could say that this team would survive in the First Division. Remember the players we had who didn't manage to keep us up ( Ingmarrson, Blackwell, Rogers, Sidwell, Zamora etc etc )

Although I would absolutely love it if we went up and love to go to some of the grounds we went to...Derby, Forest etc etc, I just cannot see how we would afford it

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Why do we need more money to play in the first division? We'll be able to attrach a better class of player for free in the first as we would become a more attractive proposition for them.

We have managed to get Knight for free like you said so there is quality out there for free if you are prepared to take a few risks.

Ingmarrson, Blackwell, Rogers, Sidwell, Zamora etc etc were all qualiy players no doubt! However, they didn't all play in the same side! (at least not very often if they did). But most of all we had Hinshelwood in charge of them. If he was incharge of teh present Arsenal squad he'd struggle to reach the playoffs in div 1!!

We have a cheap side at the moment on reasonable wages. They are starting to gel as a team. If they play as a team they are more than good enough to finish fourth from bottom.

Not to mention, we'd get more money for sponsership and tv rights in the first division.

We may not have Ingmarrson, Blackwell, Rogers, Sidwell, Zamora etc etc bnut now we have Knight, Piercy, Roger, Virgo, Harding, Robinson etc etc.

I firmly believe that had this squad not had to deal with yet another manager walking out on them we'd be up there in the top two thus good enough for div 1 football.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't understand the 'afford it' bit...

OK so we'd struggle with this current squad - but revenue should be the same if not better (particularly from away support!), TV money should be at least the same, if not better. Perhaps it will be a little easier to raise advertising revenue too.

Sure, some of the players will have contracts that require a bit extra to be paid - but I'd be surprised if that was a whole lot of extra money.

So we can 'afford it' but we will struggle - I would much rather we do that in Div 1 - to survive would be a massive achievement, but to play with spirit and determination and be relegated would be no disgrace.

I would love it if we get into the play offs, have a great day out at Cardiff - and enjoy a battling season next year in Div 1 - even if we end up back where we are now at the end of it!

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
There are pretty big savings to be had on the wage bill if McGhee is as bold as he should be releasing players. Most of those out of contract should go, with the exception of Virgo and possibly Piercy.

God knows how much Dave Lee is on, for example.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We will have to agree to disagree then Lammy my old mate.

I always thought there was a time delay on people who phone in to enable bleeps to go in, but obviously not as I had the radio on in the background and could hear myself through that.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
dave the gaffer said:
We will have to agree to disagree then Lammy my old mate.

I always thought there was a time delay on people who phone in to enable bleeps to go in, but obviously not as I had the radio on in the background and could hear myself through that.

fair enough but I'm right ;)

Regarding bleeps I've never heard any on Harty's show. I've always thought it would be amusing if someone did their own by pushing a button on their mobile :)

BTW Dave you have a very posh phone voice!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dave I have typed elsewhere on this forum that judging by the meal that Millwall took of trying to beat Tranmere on Sunday and the standard of play I saw at Rotherham from them and Bradford, we could hold our own in the First division next season.

Some of our players are out of contract, MM could get in some good loan signings and Stoke are surviving quite well now they are in their second spell.

I don't recall Wigan or Crewe splashing out on players last summer.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Ingimarsson (Loaned from Wolves)
Sidwell (Loaned from Arsenal)
Rodger (Free Transfer)
Blackwell (Free Transfer)
Rougier (Loaned from Reading)

We hardly shelled out last time we were in Div1 did we? With lots of players out of contract this summer i'm sure McGhee could pick up some bargains. Plus we'll have a bigger capacity next season and we'll be keeping the money from catering/advertisement hoardings. Add to that the increased TV money and ticket income from the play-off games. I'm sure Plymouths team cost under 100k in transfer fees.
According to soccerbase, Knight cost 100k from Chelsea. Not sure how realistic that figure is though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
is the seats actually going ahead? Does anyone know yet?

Lammy

I am posh mate!!!:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here