Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

harty spouting about potential new investors and men with money...

Titanic said:
sitting in the North Stand.

Is there any evidence that a single investor has come forward with an offer of cash in the past 5 years, with or without strings attached about membership of the board or some element of 'control', and been turned down ??

Or that a single one of them has offered to go some of the hard yards on the stadium planning application ??

It's all so much hot air... if they exist then they should make their offers and do it in public, rather than sitting on their hands in the North Stand.

After all we are a 'community club' and as a 'community' we should know what is going on.

Then again, perhaps it IS just hot air - and there really is NOTHINg to be told.

I agree with you that it all sounds a bit like hot air. We all know Harty doesn't think DK has the money to take this club forward, I hope he is just a bit more careful not to allow the phone-in to be editorially dominated by this hobby-horse of his.

What with all the bad feeling generated by the McGhee sacking, the last thing we really need now is more civil war over the position of the chairman.

And I don't think there is any danger that DK will retire to his villa with his work unfinished. Thankfully, he seems to me a better man than most of us, in having the will to see a difficult (and now apparently thankless) job through to its conclusion.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Gwylan said:
Why not? That's exactly what DK did

And thats why he is one in a million. :)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: harty spouting about potential new investors and men with money...

London Irish said:
I agree with you that it all sounds a bit like hot air. We all know Harty doesn't think DK has the money to take this club forward, I hope he is just a bit more careful not to allow the phone-in to be editorially dominated by this hobby-horse of his.
He's never stopped going on about it, even when things were much better than they are at the moment. It's a fairly shameful abuse of his position, IMHO.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Re: Re: Re: harty spouting about potential new investors and men with money...

Man of Harveys said:
He's never stopped going on about it, even when things were much better than they are at the moment. It's a fairly shameful abuse of his position, IMHO.

Agreed. Death by 1,000 cuts. I like Harty - but he needs to stop banging on about this.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: harty spouting about potential new investors and men with money...

London Irish said:

we have no control who phones the phone in and there is no " Dont put him/her through" at all.

Danny Baker tried that on 606 and was summaririly sacked I seem to recall after someone tried to justify a hand ball?

Ian obviously has his views, however I cant remember shutting anyone up whose views differ to ours. In fact Ian and I differ in quite a few areas, however there is 1 thing we all have in common, we are 100% Brighton and Hove Albion fans. As a local phone in, I think that is how it should be.....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Dave the Gaffer said:
we have no control who phones the phone in and there is no " Dont put him/her through" at all.
Dave, no-one has said that calls are screened. Unfortunately, secondly, Harty seems to need no prompting from something as irrelevent as what gets muttered by the dullards on the phones in order to plough his own very boring and targeted furrow about these wonderful mystery investors, who would come to our rescue if only that awful Dick Knight would go away, his time's up etc etc.

EDIT - I was being far too rude and utterly pointlessly so. Sorry Dave.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
MoH :bowdown:

The phone-in is dominated by people who like the sound of their own voice. And is usually a knee-jerk reaction to the game that's just finished. It is rarely or ever a forum for reasoned discussion.

Whether Harty does it to stir up interest or as a real agenda he is trying to peddle, I don't know, but it does irritate me to the point of switching off.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: Re: harty spouting about potential new investors and men with money...

Man of Harveys said:
Dave, in the very nicest way: please, get real and take your head out of his bottom for a second: firstly no-one has said that calls are screened. Unfortunately, secondly, your new friend needs no prompting from something as irrelevent as what gets muttered by the dullards on the phones in order to plough his own very boring and targeted furrow about these wonderful mystery investors, who would come to our rescue if only that awful Dick Knight would go away, his time's up etc etc.

I have known Ian for 20 odd years...dont be so f***ing patronising.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mum said:
Agreed. Death by 1,000 cuts. I like Harty - but he needs to stop banging on about this.

Titanic said:
Whether Harty does it to stir up interest or as a real agenda he is trying to peddle, I don't know, but it does irritate me to the point of switching off.

Are these people being patronising about your OLD MATE - and I do hope that that term's OK, sincere apologies if not - as well? :wave:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Man of Harveys said:
Are these people being patronising about your OLD MATE - and I do hope that that term's OK, sincere apologies if not - as well? :wave:

didnt see any of them referring to my head being up hsi arse

i think we ought to drop this as i regard you as a friend and may say something i regret

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dave the Gaffer said:
didnt see any of them referring to my head being up hsi arse

i think we ought to drop this as i regard you as a friend and may say something i regret
That's cool - I happen to think you're a top bloke :love: :love: :love: and so just find it just a bit annoying that you seem so taken with everything he says, especially when, week in week out (at least whenever I listen to it) that show seems to get used to undermine Dick Knight. In my opinion, that is not what it's for and I'm sorry but I really don't seem to be the only person who thinks that. That's all.

Dave the Gaffer said:

Danny Baker tried that on 606 and was summaririly sacked I seem to recall after someone tried to justify a hand ball?

Ian obviously has his views, however I cant remember shutting anyone up whose views differ to ours. In fact Ian and I differ in quite a few areas, however there is 1 thing we all have in common, we are 100% Brighton and Hove Albion fans. As a local phone in, I think that is how it should be.....

Don't think anyone is blaming either Harty or you for the quality of the callers, you generally do a very good job responding to them Dave, challenging callers is probably the best bit you've brought to the show as you have obviously been able to draw on the many and various NSC debates to ask the right questions.

It's just the editorialising that kicks off and permeates the phone-in that can grate at times.

We all know the phone-in presenter has a difficult job and almost a basic conflict of interest built in to manage. On the one hand, he is a passionate fan who is entitled to push individualistic views and grind a few axes. On the other he is a BBC presenter bound by the impartiality and objectivity that goes with everything the corporation is meant to do.

Achieving the right balance between those two things is a near-impossible job and hats off to anyone who gives it a go. But just on occasions I think Harty does get the balance slightly wrong - these so-called potential investor subject needs a few more concrete facts rather than half-spoken insinuations.

Yesterday, as well, I wondered about the constant ridiculing of those fans who cite the problems with Lewes district council as a cause of our on-pitch problems. Almost every caller was greeted with the refrain you're not going to mention Lewes are you as if you would be a nutter to do so.

But why is this such a view to be so mercilessly ridiculed by the phone-in host? There are two very debilitating aspects to the Lewes problem, one, the actual amount of money we are spending on lawyers and consultants that could have gone elsewhere to the playing side, and secondly, there is the climate of financial uncertainty that it creates that makes us more fearful of spending what little money we have and indeed attracting new investors.

The Lewes problems could very well have cost us 2 or 3 players this past summer - the difference between being competitive or not in games like Blackpool. Harty should just slightly ease off the OTT ridiculing of fans with this viewpoint, as it might be putting some people off contributing to the show.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another bloody row, can't we all support the club in peace and harmony :down:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: Re: harty spouting about potential new investors and men with money...

London Irish said:
Don't think anyone is blaming either Harty or you for the quality of the callers, you generally do a very good job responding to them Dave.

It's just the editorialising that kicks off and permeates the phone-in that can grate at times.

We all know the phone-in presenter has a difficult job and almost a basic conflict of interest built in to manage. On the one hand, he is a passionate fan who is entitled to push individualistic views and grind a few axes. On the other he is a BBC presenter bound by the impartiality and objectivity that goes with everything the corporation is meant to do.

Achieving the right balance between those two things is a near-impossible job and hats off to anyone who gives it a go. But just on occasions I think Harty does get the balance slightly wrong - these so-called potential investor subject needs a few more concrete facts rather than half-spoken insinuations.

Yesterday, as well, I wondered about the constant ridiculing of those fans who cite the problems with Lewes district council as a cause of our on-pitch problems. Almost every caller was greeted with the refrain you're not going to mention Lewes are you as if you would be a nutter to do so.

But why is this such a view to be so mercilessly ridiculed by the phone-in host? There are two very debilitating aspects to the Lewes problem, one, the actual amount of money we are spending on lawyers and consultants that could have gone elsewhere to the playing side, and secondly, there is the climate of financial uncertainty that it creates that makes us more fearful of spending what little money we have and indeed attracting new investors.

The Lewes problems could very well have cost us 2 or 3 players this past summer - the difference between being competitive or not in games like Blackpool. Harty should just slightly ease off the OTT ridiculing of fans with this viewpoint, as it might be putting some people off contributing to the show.

thanks Steve - much appreciated.

I think a lot of it is borne out of frustration and mixed messages that tend to come out of the club. we are told there is money for team strengthening, yet probably no fault of anyone, that never came to fruition ( the MM outers still think he is the Devil incarnate and everything is his fault:rolleyes: and the anti DK camp think its all his fault)

You are right, we have to try and sit on the fence and I hope i do that. ian is his own man and he holds very strong views on the situation. his time at Gulls Eye has taught him that ( as was Paul kennard, the people who wrote Scars and Stripes, etc etc) they all feel passionately about the club and are as frustrated as anyone. We just have a privaledged position in having a wide audience to speak to.

I think deep down, whatever you think of DK, everyone knows he has a bastard of a job and when push came to shove very few of us would evern contemplate having a go at it. To his credit he has kept the club together ( we saw some infighting last year) and its only really now when things are going badly his leadership is coming more under the spotlight. harty's point about investment is a valid one...there are rich peoiple about....but the flip side is why would they at the moment? Icy made a good point in that if they are serious it doesnt matter that we have no assets...its the club, not the bricks and mortar, problem is that is not balance Sheet accounting is it?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

London Irish said:
Don't think anyone is blaming either Harty or you for the quality of the callers, you generally do a very good job responding to them Dave, challenging callers is probably the best bit you've brought to the show as you have obviously been able to draw on the many and various NSC debates to ask the right questions.

Can i just say that I agree 100% with this. We all know that DK and harty had a little spat pre season when comments were made in a worthing newspaper which DK rubbished. Let's not get carried away by it. As harty has said himself on here, he likes DK as a person but believes it is time for him to go.

The trouble is that things said on the phone in suddenly become fact. We have had:

- that DK said that £2m would be spent on the team when he took over (not what he said at all and the text of his statement at no point says that). However it has been mentioned over and over again that people now believe it.

- that DK is now living permanently in Spain (as opposed to having a house in spain)

- that his mobile phone was switched off on transfer deadline day (actually not sure if this was on the phone in but it is still a comment that has been attributed to harty - rightly or wrongly)

It can go on and on. Then there is the ongoing mention of mystery investors.

As for the points that LI has made about LDC - they are all valid. Unfortunately, after MPs appearance last week where he made a very clear statement about LDC, Ian feels that this was wrong and led subsequent callers on the subject. I cannot understand how people cannot see that LDC have had a serious impact on the club - they may not be solely to blame (as DK, MM, the fans etc are not solely to blame) but they are a very big factor and I would say that the ground and delays (which they are responsbile for) are over 60% of our current problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here