Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty returns to the Phone-In

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord B you forgot to add Spurs and Southampton for their 'fixed' result, they will be most offended to be excluded and somebody may wish to complain about it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is what the ANUS have to say about the issue

A radio host who insulted disabled people live on air has been re-instated.

Ian Hart and fellow presenter Andrew Hawes were suspended from BBC Southern Counties for using the phrase “window licker” - a derogatory term for a mentally disabled person.

The gaffe, made during a fans phone-in after a Brighton and Hove Albion match last month, sparked a backlash from disabled charities.

But the club, Albion fans and local charities threw their support behind the pair and now both are back on the airwaves.

Match commentator Mr Hawes was first reinstated on October 25.

Now Mr Hart, who has hosted the phone-in for a decade, was back in the hotseat after Albion's defeat at Carlisle on Saturday.

Albion fans on supporters website North Stand Chat last night welcomed the move.

One said: “I think it's great news, Harty is one of us. The hysterical reaction to lickergate was an embarrassment, and justice has been done with his reinstatement.”

Another wrote: “Excellent news. Thank goodness for that. I was starting to wonder if this country really had lost all sense of proportion.

“Now can we have Jonathon Ross back on a Friday night please.”

It is believed only two people complained about Mr Hart's comment, during a row about manager Micky Adams after Albion's win over Leyton Orient on October 7.

They prompted outrage from disability groups despite instant apologies from Mr Hart on air.

Sources say Mr Hart was sacked the day after making the comment but has now been reinstated and will receive broadcasting training. In the wake of the row Mr Hart was buoyed by support from fans, listeners and senior figures at the Albion. A series of charities for the disabled also backed him.

Guy Clinch, chairman of trustees for St Barnabas House and the Chestnut Tree House children's hospice, near Arundel, said: “Ian is one of our most active and hard-working trustees. He is known for his forthright manner and speaking his mind.

“He is a unique character who throws himself passionately behind the causes he embraces.

“Ian clearly recognised that his comments were inappropriate.”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Broadcasting training!!! Is that what he had to agree to, to get back on air? :lolol::lolol:

Well, I'm going to apply to manage Marks and Spencer's as Chief Exec..... hopefully they'll give me management training ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Harty, it's good to have you back!

This is what the ANUS have to say about the issue

A radio host who insulted disabled people live on air has been re-instated.

Ian Hart and fellow presenter Andrew Hawes were suspended from BBC Southern Counties for using the phrase “window licker” - a derogatory term for a mentally disabled person.

The gaffe, made during a fans phone-in after a Brighton and Hove Albion match last month, sparked a backlash from disabled charities.

But the club, Albion fans and local charities threw their support behind the pair and now both are back on the airwaves.

Match commentator Mr Hawes was first reinstated on October 25.

Now Mr Hart, who has hosted the phone-in for a decade, was back in the hotseat after Albion's defeat at Carlisle on Saturday.

Albion fans on supporters website North Stand Chat last night welcomed the move.

One said: “I think it's great news, Harty is one of us. The hysterical reaction to lickergate was an embarrassment, and justice has been done with his reinstatement.”

Another wrote: “Excellent news. Thank goodness for that. I was starting to wonder if this country really had lost all sense of proportion.

“Now can we have Jonathon Ross back on a Friday night please.”

It is believed only two people complained about Mr Hart's comment, during a row about manager Micky Adams after Albion's win over Leyton Orient on October 7.

They prompted outrage from disability groups despite instant apologies from Mr Hart on air.

Sources say Mr Hart was sacked the day after making the comment but has now been reinstated and will receive broadcasting training. In the wake of the row Mr Hart was buoyed by support from fans, listeners and senior figures at the Albion. A series of charities for the disabled also backed him.

Guy Clinch, chairman of trustees for St Barnabas House and the Chestnut Tree House children's hospice, near Arundel, said: “Ian is one of our most active and hard-working trustees. He is known for his forthright manner and speaking his mind.

“He is a unique character who throws himself passionately behind the causes he embraces.

“Ian clearly recognised that his comments were inappropriate.”

That might be an interesting enough article, if Harty had even actually SAID the inappropriate phrase - but HE didn't.
Inaccurate reporting, and I mean, HOW can they still get this stuff wrong?

They also fail to mention that Harty does work with the disabled, but that's hardly surprising is it.

Argus, if you are going to cover something, why not make it concise and include all the facts in the story? That might sell your newspaper to more people, and stop them from rolling their eyes at your skimmed, lightweight reporting

I still think Juice should have acted quickly and got in there - put the phone-in on their station, as I suggested to their producer.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here