Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty - please get DK on the phone in on Saturday

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Vulture. That's more like an eagle than a seagull, isn't it?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I can't believe some of the anti-DK stuff on here, he was a fan before most of you were born. There wouldn't be a club without him. Why can't some of you believe he is doing his best with sod-all resources.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
If Withdean and Falmer are the problems, how come Zamora, Kuipers, Carpenter Cullip et al signed on knowing they'd be playing at a shithole. The signing problems have got considerably worse in the last 3 yeasr and are now embaressingly laughable. What's changed since we first moved to Withdean? The Manager. DK was Chairman when we signed all those players and presumably does things in the way he's always done - so that hasn't changed. Its the manager thats changed. Its his reputation; or the image of a club whose management/coaching staff continually falls out with its players.

I've changed my mind. After this latest fiasco McGhee has to go.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Screaming J said:
What's changed since we first moved to Withdean?

The main thing that has changed is that the money has run out.

The board budgeted to be at Withdean for 3-4 years, and to subsidise the club for that period. As we all know it is now double that period, and the initial money invested in the club has disappeared in operating losses and the Falmer inquiry.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I was hoping for a mid table finish this seaon assuming we strengthened up front. I honestly reckon we will have another relegation fight on our hands. Our achilles heal from last season of not scoring enough goals is going to haunt us again this year. In only 1 of our 6 games this year have we scored more than 1 goal, and 1 of those against Brentford was a pen.

I still feel we will stay up with the current squad, but like most I do feel pretty pissed off at no new additions. Plus, I don't think Stokes is any better than the other Midfielders we have at present and is a bit of a waste of money.

Without the odd new face for the fans to get excited by, I can forsee the attendances falling especially when the crappy weather comes around.

The one positive I can take from this latest debacle, is that at least players like Robinson and Gatting will gain invaluable experience which has to be good for the future.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
It IS that big a deal though, isn't it.
This transfer window deadline hasn't just sprung up out of nowhere. We've had ALL SUMMER to get reinforcements in, and once again each and every target has fallen by the wayside for one reason or another. We've been left scrambling around at the last minute (again), and ended up with precisely f*** all. The squad is paper thin, full of kids, no leadership, and a manager at the helm who is seemingly powerless to do anyhing about it.

This is grim.

Word home boy -In fact its been longer than the ummer - plyers should have been lined up as soon as the Seff Wed game was over - but noooooooooooooooo decide t f*** around with the contracts for 2 months then wonder why all the decent payers have gone and no one wants to join

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Two years paying a guy to sit on the treatment table would not have cost £25k. Possibly ten times that :rolleyes:

Im with you on this one - the only way I would have considered the clubpaying for Burgess was after a loan spell to see how fit he is.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
What a f***ing shambles! When most clubs even look like being relegated from a division, they make plans for next season in the division below. An example of this is Birmingham. I saw an interview with their Chief Exec. way before they were relegated and they had already planned exactly what they would do if they were relegated. As soon as they were relegated they went for these players and as a result they have been very successful and weren't force to f*** around on deadline day.

This club knew they were going to be relegated MONTHS before the start of the seaspn. We had MONTHS to identify players, MONTHS to make offers and get our finances in order yet we still end up trying to buy on deadline day. If this was a company McGhee would be sacked immediately. Managers who have been here previously have signed players on the same shoestring budget and the same shithole for a stadium.

We have a tiny squad, most of which is teenagers, players with long term injuries, a manager who puts 2 and 2 together to get 5 and a stadium which is only going to be half full or less. The club is well and truly f***ed.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Word home boy -In fact its been longer than the ummer - plyers should have been lined up as soon as the Seff Wed game was over - but noooooooooooooooo decide t f*** around with the contracts for 2 months then wonder why all the decent payers have gone and no one wants to join

But the point is we have been trying for MONTHS to get players, we've been getting turned down for one reason or another for ages.

I don't think it is possible to criticise the club for not chasing players to strengthen the squad. They have been doing that for ages, including last season. But for whatever reason the deals have not come off/

I accept it is incredibly frustrating and everyone should feel thoroughly hacked off with the lack of progress. But the financial situation gets worse every extra year we are at withdean, and with the stadium issue still unresolved we remain an unattractive proposition for a player.

I can imagine the langauge in the boardroom has been pretty colourful over the last 24hours as the frustration mounts in there too. Still we have to f***ing well get on with it.

I hope everyone going to bristol on saturday is going there to back the team and not slag off mcghee. If you are planning to moan don't bother going.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with yesterday's events.

Whilst I understand the position we're in and that attempts were made, it does seem a bit last minute and a little unprofessional.

If we're to believe our scouting network - which I believe has done a decent job until now - these players would have been targeted weeks & months ago.

We're left to pick through those that are out of contract, probably Asaba or the loan market - at least until January.

In my opinion DK really does need to pull something out of the bag in the loan market to restore a bit of belief.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Barnet Seagull said:
I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with yesterday's events.

Whilst I understand the position we're in and that attempts were made, it does seem a bit last minute and a little unprofessional.

If we're to believe our scouting network - which I believe has done a decent job until now - these players would have been targeted weeks & months ago.

We're left to pick through those that are out of contract, probably Asaba or the loan market - at least until January.

In my opinion DK really does need to pull something out of the bag in the loan market to restore a bit of belief.

All too true, but a word from the chairman wouldn't go amiss. Some explanation to the fans would just be good PR.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
chez said:
Acceptable to him maybe but I want McGhee sacked if we dont do up.

Won't need to be sacked will he as he'll be at the end of his contract I think.
Maybe that's DK's plan. He can't sack MM now as we can't afford the compo so just don't give him any money for signings and show him the door when his time is up.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Lawro's Lip said:
All too true, but a word from the chairman wouldn't go amiss. Some explanation to the fans would just be good PR.

I think we get more than enough explanation - the Ibehre story was explained to the Argus, the fact that Burgess wouldn't have a medical was well explained, etc. What does everyone want - a personal interview with DK as he recounts the last detail of every transfer negotiation? Apparently it seems so.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Would it be possible for Hawsey to be a bit more probing when talking to the Jock after the game? Really make him sweat. Ask him if he's aware that many many fans are on his back wanting him sacked.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Without CKR getting ideas above his station last nights search for a striker would not have been so desperate. To be honest I was not that impressed with any of our potential targets. The reality is to buy anyone of quality requires considerable finance which is money we don't have. You only have to look one division above us where clubs are signing players for 1million!

We can't take a punt with the limited resources we have as there could be potential further costs depending on what happens with LDC. My guess is we will bring someone in on loan untl xmas when we should have a better idea with what is happening with the stadium.

Until then we will just have to accept that attracting players to the Albion for a number of reasons (stadium, money, club in limbo) is very difficult and get behind the lads who are still here.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
DK needs to say something, even Im having doubts now and I always been behind him. I think we have a board who lack ambition and a manager who cant attract anyone.

very disillusioned with it at the moment.

Not that anyone gives a shit

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
paddy said:
An example of this is Birmingham. I saw an interview with their Chief Exec. way before they were relegated and they had already planned exactly what they would do if they were relegated. As soon as they were relegated they went for these players and as a result they have been very successful and weren't force to f*** around on deadline day.

And unfair paracute payments for the poor old premiership relegated teams doesnt make it a bit easier, quoting Birmingham as an example isnt quite the same is it having £7m for two years in a row

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here