Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hargreaves

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
He is so bad that he has signed a new 4 year contract at Bayern. Also for a player so bad he has won an awful lot in his fairly short career;

Hargreaves agrees new Bayern deal

England midfielder Owen Hargreaves has agreed a new four-year deal with German champions Bayern Munich.
The 24-year-old's current deal expired at the end of this season and he had been linked with a move to number of Premiership clubs.

But he has committed his future to Bayern, whom he joined aged 16.

"I'm looking forward to the years ahead, as I'm confident we'll continue to enjoy plenty of success," Hargreaves told the official Bayern website.

He added: "We have fantastic support, we now have the best stadium in the world, and we have a team capable of winning the Champions League."

Hargreaves helped the club win the Champions League in 2001 and has also won three Bundesliga title medals with Bayern in 2001, 2003 and 2005.

He scored Bayern's first goal of the 2005/2006 campaign in the club's season-opener against Borussia Moenchengladbach and was a regular starter in the side until being sidelined by a back injury.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's alright. Not had much of a chance in his 20 minute cameos as he's NEVER going to come on and do much to change the course of a game (as Sven often seems to think). Probably worth a sniff in the Ledley King role at some point in the friendlies though.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Good player, never seen why people don't like him. It's probably becuase he's not REALLY English and plays for Bayern.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Definately would like to see him tried out as an option instead of Ledley King. Not that I mind Ledley...

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Definately would like to see him tried out as an option instead of Ledley King. Not that I mind Ledley...

I agree ...a holding midfielder player as that not a defender converted to suit the role ..King did do ok though

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
D'Angelo Saxon said:

I Agreee, however as soon as Gerrard is fit it will be back to lamps and gerrard in the middle. :rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
gvce26 said:
I Agreee, however as soon as Gerrard is fit it will be back to lamps and gerrard in the middle. :rolleyes:
I SO MUCH hope you are wrong about that. But sadly I fear you are right . We've probably not seen the last of the Beckham-Gerrard-Lampard-Cole combo.

:(

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
I think a lot of it is the out of sight element as he is abroad.

Also he often gets brought on and stuck out wide, which is not his natural position.

Couldn't agree more- people don't see him play enough. I saw him play in the champions league final for Valencia in 2001 and he played well.

People expect miracles of him but he is a holding midfielder. He is a good player and actually has a good range of passing.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hargreaves is an excellent player, other wise he would never hav e lasted so long at a top European club - and then got a 4 year extension.

BUT ...... he's still not the player I'd bring on with 15/20 mins to go when you're trying to win the game.

To be fair though Uncle Buck, the people on here who think he's rubbish are usually the ones who are wrong about everything.

E

enigma

Brovian said:

BUT ...... he's still not the player I'd bring on with 15/20 mins to go when you're trying to win the game.

That's exactly it- you wouldn't bring on Claude Makelele to change the game would you?

It's not his fault Sven uses him as a sub.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone got any ideas WHY he is brought on as sub ? I'd be interested in a few enlightened theories.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Anyone got any ideas WHY he is brought on as sub ? I'd be interested in a few enlightened theories.

Because the other choices are usually Phil Neville, a goalkeeper or Jamie Carragher.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Four years on and England fans are none the wiser about Hargreaves.

He's not had a brilliant game for England, but then he's not had a bad game either. I think he should have been given a few more starts in friendlies, certainly more 90 minute run-outs, to see what he can do for the team.

One of the problems for him is that he would, in all likelihood, be replacing one of the untouchables in Beckham, Gerrard or Lampard.

I'd like to see him in the Ledley role behind Lampard, as I suspect that's his best position.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He's an awful player, I can tell that from occasional 10 minutes here and there for England, despite his contunued excellent forum for one of the biggest teams in Europe.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Being the nerd I am i watch a bit of Bundersliga and have to say Hargreaves is one of the better midfielders in the division. And wouldn't be a regular in a midfield with Balllack, Ze Roberto, Scweinsteiger, Jeremies, Scholl or Deisler all wanting to play in the middle of midfield if he wasn't a good player. He's class and gets far too much stick.

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Because the other choices are usually Phil Neville, a goalkeeper or Jamie Carragher.

:lolol:
the thought of Phil Neville comming on must scare the opposition shitless

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Easy 10 said:
I SO MUCH hope you are wrong about that. But sadly I fear you are right . We've probably not seen the last of the Beckham-Gerrard-Lampard-Cole combo.

:(

I am still struggling with this. Lampard and Gerrard are the two best central midfielders in the country.

Gerrard can tackle and pass well, which are the two essential attributes of the holding midfielder.

Why can he not play as a holding player to fit the system that clearly works better? I once put my Sunday teams centre forward in goal becasue the keeper cried off. The CF didn't keep forgetting and go rushing upfield.

Does Gerrard have a brain [I'm sure he does]? How hard can it be?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Auditor said:
:lolol:
the thought of Phil Neville comming on must scare the opposition shitless
It scares me shitless.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here