Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handbrake RANT

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, I warned you this is a rant...
:angry:
Why on Earth do 95% of drivers not use their handbrakes any more? Most cars have that big Blackpool-illumination-stylie third break light high up in the rear windscreen these days and I'm sick of staring at other peoples whilst sat at traffic lights. Even waiting on viaduct road, I've witnessed people holding their foot on their regular breaks, then putting their handbrakes on as the lights go green in order to do a hill start. Break lights are to show that you are slowing down; when you've stopped, i.e. are no longer progressing forward (the car has zero velocity, relative to the surface of the road), reach out with your left hand and pull the stick (ooooh, matron). Seriously though, it's much safer and far less annoying to the poor bastard (probably me) behind you. No wonder so many people in this country are so large if they can't even be bothered to move their arm 6 inches.:angry:

Oh, and the same goes for indicating.:bigwave:

...End of Rant...

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Because people are buying European driving licences in places like Greece from uncle stavros and the EU allows this.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Instead of that why don't motorists look out for bloody cyclists, and cyclists stop going through red lights.

I love cycling, but it is now pis*ing me off seeing other cyclists do this. Its giving us a bad name.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Instead of that why don't motorists look out for bloody cyclists, and cyclists stop going through red lights.

I love cycling, but it is now pis*ing me off seeing other cyclists do this. Its giving us a bad name.

My dad cycles a lot and he says the same. I find cyclists picking and choosing when they want to be a pedestrian and road user incredibly annoying too, not to mention dangerous. The rules of the road are for ALL who use it!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Because people are buying European driving licences in places like Greece from uncle stavros and the EU allows this.

That would certainly explain some of it... Is this done a lot? There's no way some of these people would pass their tests. There are plenty of other things that annoy me about other peoples' driving, but this is my latest pet hate. I won't go into the others... OK, maybe I will:

• Driving far too f***ing close behind you when you're going 70mph
  • Sitting in the middle lane on a motorway
  • Continuing to indicate right on a roundabout when turning off (the left-part is more important peops!)
  • Doing 60mph uphill and 80mph downhill on the motorway (again, laziness)
  • Driving along with rear window caked in mud, or steamed up, or with wipers not on (i.e. BLATANTLY not using mirrors)
  • Waiting to cut across the solid line at the Vogue Gyratory, rather than just changing lanes in the acres of space ahead

That's just for starters!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

What REALLY annoys me about this, is I cycle quite quickly (say 20mph). I cycle from Hove to Moulsecoomb quite regularly and I always get some tw!t who goes past me when I'm waiting at the red light but is only going about 5mph, then I have to spend the next 10 minutes trying to get past him again because of the traffic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You will generally find the final few cars which have gone through changing lights will have gone through when they were red.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Know whats worse than that? People who use their FOG lights in MIST

What about the RETARDS who have their spoiler foglights on when its perfectly CLEAR.
"Oooh look at me, I've got FOGLIGHTS on my SPOILER, I'm like a real RALLY car, me)

:tosser:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
That would certainly explain some of it... Is this done a lot? There's no way some of these people would pass their tests. There are plenty of other things that annoy me about other peoples' driving, but this is my latest pet hate. I won't go into the others... OK, maybe I will:

• Driving far too f***ing close behind you when you're going 70mph
  • Continuing to indicate right on a roundabout when turning off (the left-part is more important peops!)
  • Doing 60mph uphill and 80mph downhill on the motorway (again, laziness)
  • Driving along with rear window caked in mud, or steamed up, or with wipers not on (i.e. BLATANTLY not using mirrors)
  • Waiting to cut across the solid line at the Vogue Gyratory, rather than just changing lanes in the acres of space ahead

That's just for starters!

:laugh:

I do see 'driving lessons' around where i live. BUT, they TEACH you how to reverse onto a main road, im not kidding.
They have 2 lessons then give the teacher 150 euros and they have passed. Or just go to an island and buy it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With regard to the handbrake, current guidelines are that you should only use this if you are going to be stationary for more than 5 seconds. Obviously though you need it for hill starts and goes without saying if you are on a red at traffic lights.

Agree with your sentiments re motorway driving. Love to know how many have been done by the cops for sitting in the middle lane. Suspect most get a slapped wrist despite cctv evidence they don't have a clue or couldn't give a shit about other road users.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
With regard to middle lane driving. Over hear (sorry to keep going on about it) but the middle lane is the SLOW lane, and you over take either side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do find this UK fetish with cyclists and red lights amusing. The rest of the Europe, if not the world, just gets on with it. It really isnt a big deal. As usual the UK concentrates on petty details and all the public seem to do about it is write letters to shite and powerless provincial newspapers.

Whatever.

I do find this UK fetish with cyclists and red lights amusing. The rest of the Europe, if not the world, just gets on with it. It really isnt a big deal. As usual the UK concentrates on petty details and all the public seem to do about it is write letters to shite and powerless provincial newspapers.

Whatever.

Why exactly should cyclists not follow the rules of the road? If they are road users, they HAVE to.

That's without even mentioning the fact that it's ridiculously dangerous. I get angry enough when people do it just to steal a few yards before their light turns green, but on several occasions, at major junctions, have seen a cyclist go straight on without so much as looking, let along stopping, at the traffic zooming across their lane.

It's only not a big deal until it causes an accident and someone gets killed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why exactly should cyclists not follow the rules of the road? If they are road users, they HAVE to.

That's without even mentioning the fact that it's ridiculously dangerous. I get angry enough when people do it just to steal a few yards before their light turns green, but on several occasions, at major junctions, have seen a cyclist go straight on without so much as looking, let along stopping, at the traffic zooming across their lane.

It's only not a big deal until it causes an accident and someone gets killed.

QED

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea

!

• This really pisses me off, i dont see why people have to do it, if they knew how to use a motorway im sure half of these accidents wouldnt happen. and people moan when they get undertaken, well if they moved into the left lane we wouldnt have to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here