Hammond support thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Right, so a poster initially uses Ian Huntley & Fred West as a comparison, a pair of rapist murderers; and then attempts to clarify the situation and backtrack slightly by instead suggesting Lee Hughes a convicted killer behind the wheel of a car :facepalm:

Christ on a bike, is there ANY danger of a little bit of rationality here?

Hammond did something bloody annoying, but to put him in the same context as convicted criminals is frankly embarrassing.

I wasn't remotely pleased when I heard we'd signed him last night (more due to my perception of his limited ability than because of the Saints game) but having said that, I found it ludicrous that anyone would even consider giving him stick on the pitch now. I'm starting to see how he fits into Poyet's plans, having considered it for a bit, so am more than prepared to put the past behind us and move on.

If nothing else, chaps, bear in mind how upset Poyet was at the ironic cheering towards David Gonzalez last season: imagine how much it'll freak him out if he detects hostility towards Hammond?

Come on people, move on, and stop making yourselves look like sulky six year old kids. I don't expect him to get a standing ovation- he'll have to earn the on the pitch-, but neither does he need to get on his knees and grovel to us.

Onwards & upwards :thumbsup:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
but neither does he need to get on his knees and grovel to us.

:thumbsup:

Err maybe he does not need to go that far but perhaps we would like a more obvious statement of contrition for the Soton incident. No sensible fan will ever boo him but the ferocity of the abuse he gave the South Stand that night was totally unjustified and surprised everyone.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Players can leave whenever they like, he's a pro and it's up to him to behave in a professional manner.

He was our club ex CAPTAIN and he CHOSE to not only behave like a total bellend when he came on at Withers for Southampton but then backs it up by being a prick post match. Why did he choose to do that? Was he getting grief off us? Nope. Was he given a decent welcome? Yep.

So I CHOOSE to view him as a fucktard. I despised him after that performance and so did everyone in the ground that day.

He was lucky not to get lynched let alone re-signed after that display.

This has got be one of the most pathetic and idiotic posts I have ever read.

The facts: he scored for the club that paid his wages, for the team that he was part of and in front of the fans of that club and team. He then celebrated scoring his goal.

How does this make him a 'fucktard'? Care to say that to his face, I'm sure it could be arranged, or do you just get off on extreme insults safely behind the anonominity of your keyboard?

Fact: Everyone in the stadium that day did not despise him. I was there and neither I or the group of fans I was with 'despised him'. We didn't like it but hardly a cause to despise anyone surely?

How was he lucky not to get lynched? Who did he murder? Who did he sexually abuse? Exactly.

Dean will be welcomed back by all the many fans that remember the many games he gave his all in playing for the Albion. I just hope that you remain behind your keyboard and seek help for your remarkably warped view of human nature and life in general.

Alternatively go away and come back when you've grown up.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Personally, I'm delighted to have him back, as I think we have missed a player like him ever since he left. Big and strong presence in midfield, he is a box-to-box player who will come up with his fair share of goals. Adds height to the team which in the opposing penalty box brings advantages for those around him as they benefit from knock downs, and that he draws the attention of taller defenders. For me, he was very under-rated by Brighton fans the first time around, and got some stick that was completely unwarranted.

Then he left, and proved those doubters wrong IMHO, by being a key player in promotions with Southampton in League One and The Championship. All the time he was doing that we were looking for a midfielder like him. I'm sure he came to Withers feeling like he had a point to prove to the doubters here from his time with the Albion, and prove it he did with a very good display in a dominant performance from Southampton, albeit against the Champions who were already "on the beach" in their minds. Yeah, he let his emotions get the better of him and reacted badly, and I'm sure he'd take it back if he could. We as fans react with raw emotions, and I'm sure we shout things that we don't want to keep being hung out to dry for YEARS down the line. We dish it out, we shouldn't be so emotionally sensitive if someone shouts something back at us.

We've forgiven people in the past, as I remember being VERY annoyed by a reaction to the South Stand from El-Abd at the final whistle one day, but we move on, accept it's just teh emotions getting the better of a person sometimes, and all is forgotten. Time to do the same with Dean.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He'll really add something to the side and it's a good signing for us.

He's still a massive bellend though and therefor will be neither cheered nor boo'd from me. I hope he does well for us, but then he can f*** off to where he came from as far as I'm concerned.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Right, so a poster initially uses Ian Huntley & Fred West as a comparison, a pair of rapist murderers; and then attempts to clarify the situation and backtrack slightly by instead suggesting Lee Hughes a convicted killer behind the wheel of a car :facepalm:

Hammond did something bloody annoying, but to put him in the same context as convicted criminals is frankly embarrassing.

Don't accuse me of backtracking just because you've misunderstood my point.

I take issue with people who are hiding behind the line "I'll support anyone who wears the shirt". Don't twist things to make out that I'm comparing a footballer who told fans to "f*** off" with a group of sub-human criminals, I just take issue with this statement that people will blindly support a person regardsless of their character just because of the colour of their football kit.

It's not beyond the realms of comprehension that we've could've signed hughes or king. People wouldn't hide behind "I'll never boo anyone in the stripes" in that situation, and even though it is a slightly more extreme example the analogy stands up.

Frankly, I find it embarrassing that so many people are prepared to change their tune so easily. Start a thread about hammond last week and he still would've got dogs abuse. Nobody is asking him to grovel, but an apology would go a long way.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Err maybe he does not need to go that far but perhaps we would like a more obvious statement of contrition for the Soton incident. No sensible fan will ever boo him but the ferocity of the abuse he gave the South Stand that night was totally unjustified and surprised everyone.

C'mon Mickey...Albion fans were giving him loads of abuse before he scored....so it's OK to abuse him but not for him to give it back....he has my full support because it is a human reaction to hit back...it was sometime ago....he is a Brighton Lad and wears the stripes....full support...

cyrilthesinik

Oct 15, 2011
C'mon Mickey...Albion fans were giving him loads of abuse before he scored....so it's OK to abuse him but not for him to give it back....he has my full support because it is a human reaction to hit back...it was sometime ago....he is a Brighton Lad and wears the stripes....full support...

Well said sir!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Sorry but were you actually at the game? The reality was that he got polite applause and if anything the only specific grief was aimed at Dan Hardy! This is the whole issue that people are struggling to stomach. Lets face it we think its OK to sit there and give players a bit of gip and we need not be too precioius if they on occasion give it back. However, on this occasion there was nothing to justify the ferocity of the abuse that he gave the whole of the South Stand. Perhaps we were not party to some of the off field shenanigans surrounding his departure but he was venting his frustrations in the wrong direction!

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough

What he said........ Not that he knows anything about Brighton !:rave::ohmy::rave:

I'm pretty sure that during his over the top celebration at Withdean he was quite clearly using the term "f***ing Cnuts" at us.

I stand to be corrected on this as my memory is not quite as good as it should be.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Can't believe how soft some of the people are on this thread implying that Hammond deserves some sort of heroes welcome but at the same time, I can't believe some people are demanding a public apology for a stupid mistake that happened years ago!

Everyone's entitles to react how they want of course, but I do hope we don't get too many boo's- the Craig Davies saga at MK was just about the most embarrassed I've been as an Albion fan, even though he was about as useful as a Craig Davies on a football pitch that day.

Personally, I won't cheer him, won't boo him. Hope he does well, but won't be shedding any tears if he ends up being a Development squad player that's sent back to Stains come Christmas.
I'm sure all of us will instantly forget everything if he nets a stoppage-time winner against Palace and gives them the Withdean treatment though.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I wasn't remotely pleased when I heard we'd signed him last night (more due to my perception of his limited ability than because of the Saints game) but having said that, I found it ludicrous that anyone would even consider giving him stick on the pitch now. I'm starting to see how he fits into Poyet's plans, having considered it for a bit, so am more than prepared to put the past behind us and move on.

If nothing else, chaps, bear in mind how upset Poyet was at the ironic cheering towards David Gonzalez last season: imagine how much it'll freak him out if he detects hostility towards Hammond?

Come on people, move on, and stop making yourselves look like sulky six year old kids. I don't expect him to get a standing ovation- he'll have to earn the on the pitch-, but neither does he need to get on his knees and grovel to us.

Onwards & upwards :thumbsup:

As ever EK speaks sense.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If he's anything like he was in his last spell here, we'll be forgetting he's even on the pitch at times.

I won't be cheering for him -he's a complete cock in my eyes. But I won't be booing him either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here