Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ham

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
I have just made my own ham, curing it and everything. I followed a recipe and it turned out well but uninspiring. I would like suggestions on additions to the cure that will give it that special and distinctive taste.

If it becomes as famous as bayonne and parma I will name it North Stand Ham

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Congratulations on the most bizzare thread of the week.:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd like to TRY that

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I would use burnt WOOD to cure it. That'll be lovely. Then cook it in honey.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Perry Milkins said:
What posting a bizarre thraed or curing ham?
No, I'd like to sample some homecured ham. I've done plenty of the former and I'm not medically qualified to do the latter.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Man of Harveys said:
No, I'd like to sample some homecured ham. I've done plenty of the former and I'm not medically qualified to do the latter.

That, was unconditionally, the most boring response, by you, to any post of mine. I shall give you the order of the black ball tomorrow!!

:jester:

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Man of Harveys said:

Would have to be a specific piece of timber to be of interest, with a BHA theme...

"cured in beech smoked remains of Bill Archer Bonfire wood chip flavoured cider cure"

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Man of Harveys said:

"Cooked with honey stolen from winnie the pooh"

I can see it on the label

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I cook my own ham, but not cure it, I marinade it in the fridge for a day before cooking it though. What do you mean by curing ? Did you get the leg from the butchers and hang it for donkeys in the closet? Did it get stinky? Do you have to coat it in something? I'm interested!! :lol: :blush:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have made biltong.Thats hung for about 4 days.I have a ventilated box with a low watt bulb to dry it out.

lovely

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
tedebear said:
I cook my own ham, but not cure it, I marinade it in the fridge for a day before cooking it though. What do you mean by curing ? Did you get the leg from the butchers and hang it for donkeys in the closet? Did it get stinky? Do you have to coat it in something? I'm interested!! :lol: :blush:

1. Buy pork- Leg (bone in or out)

2. Make cure -effectively salty water with flavourings

3. Keep pork in cure for 4 days/kilo

Can then keep for a few months or cook immediately..or if really flash you can smoke it (using various methods) (Not roll up in rizlas)

For good advice get Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls "MEAT" book

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Cool!! Did you soak it in a bucket? or did you only have a little leg... Do you have to change the water? does it smell?? Would in the back of the pantry be ok - or does it need to be refridgerated?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
desprateseagull said:
afaik, a ham needs tobe wel lhung (god, thats sounds gay..!), ans either smoked, or cured with a honey or mstard glaze.. heck, why not try both..?

(would have have you looked into this, before starting..?)

have you had a few pints at lunch? Your typings gone a little squiffy! :blush:

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Experimented with a small leg and kept in large tuppaware in fridge. After alloted time hang up to dry for a couple of days the wrap in a cloth (not clingfilm as it needs to breathe) and keep in fridge- can keep for ages.

Dont need to change cure but I would suggest reading up on how to make the cure itself- You need to buy special curing salt to stop its going grey and dissolve the salt in water in the correct proportions. Google it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here