Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Halifax bank charges. Please help if u can

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
Has anybody ever had luck getting them to drop a charge. i only get £150 a fortnight benefits, and cos of a returned debit of 42-00
they are charging me £39-00! Basically when i get my benefits next week i,ll automatically lose £81-00, more than a weeks giro. i,m devastated by all this crap, i thought that people power had got these kind of charges reduced...sorry if these questions are already been covered but my ill health is hardly improved by the knowledge im gonna lose a weeks money.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Have you been to see them ? I would ask to talk to them to see what they say.

rospants

off to ronan in the park!
Jul 11, 2005
brighton
if you explain the situation they do have the power to stop charges, they can be very helpful when they want to be

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is it worth you voting with your feet and changing banks if they are not prepared to help you ?

Seems a very unfair situation to me.

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
thanks evere so much all of you. only got the letter after the brach closed today. I'll see them monday. Did not wish to bother you all on a momentous 3 poits day for albion!!! I'll file it away till monday and try not get stressed. thanks again. (i'll take the Leonard Cohen cd of now lolol)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes mind you avoid Lloyds TSB at all costs, they are liars and crooks (and getting sued by me and the Data Protection act).

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Yes only last week as it happens. I wrote a letter to Halifax to tell them how I hardly ever go into the red, keep enough money in the account, etc, etc, and the manageress phoned me back to tell me they'd cancel the charge. :)

rospants

off to ronan in the park!
Jul 11, 2005
brighton
bhaexpress said:
Yes mind you avoid Lloyds TSB at all costs, they are liars and crooks (and getting sued by me and the Data Protection act).

Why?, What did they do?

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Avoid the Royal Bank Of Scotland like the plague. We switched our mortgage to the Oneaccount and hadn't got round to closing the old account. One day recently, my wife made the imho completely unforgiveable mistake of writing a cheque on the old account and it understandably bounced. RBS charged us £38 for the privilege and I have no objections to this cos it was our cockup. We contacted the retailer and paid them from the new account. We paid enough into the old account to cover this charge, got the form to close the account and asked them to phone to let us know the closing balance, which they said they would do on Monday.

They didn't so my wife phoned them and was told we can't close the account because the cheque had been represented, bounced again and there was another £38 charge so we were back in negative territory. Onto the retailer, giving them a hard time but they said it wasn't down to them and they'd speak to their bank. Their bank said it wasn't down to them either and said the Royal Bank Of Scotland must have represented it for payment themselves. Back to the Royal Bank Of Scotland, pointed the finger in their direction and they promptly refunded the charges. Didn't deny it, didn't apologise, thieving f:censored: ers. Account has now been closed and toying with contacting the Ombudsman. How can they justify representing a cheque when not asked to knowing it will be bounced. :angry:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I don't "bank" with a bank anymore - I'm with a building society (Nationwide) and haven't had a charge in years - not sure why more people don't switch to be honest!

I do find them a little slower at clearing cheques but all in all I'm rather happy!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
SussexHoop said:
Avoid the Royal Bank Of Scotland like the plague. We switched our mortgage to the Oneaccount and hadn't got round to closing the old account. One day recently, my wife made the imho completely unforgiveable mistake of writing a cheque on the old account and it understandably bounced. RBS charged us £38 for the privilege and I have no objections to this cos it was our cockup. We contacted the retailer and paid them from the new account. We paid enough into the old account to cover this charge, got the form to close the account and asked them to phone to let us know the closing balance, which they said they would do on Monday.

They didn't so my wife phoned them and was told we can't close the account because the cheque had been represented, bounced again and there was another £38 charge so we were back in negative territory. Onto the retailer, giving them a hard time but they said it wasn't down to them and they'd speak to their bank. Their bank said it wasn't down to them either and said the Royal Bank Of Scotland must have represented it for payment themselves. Back to the Royal Bank Of Scotland, pointed the finger in their direction and they promptly refunded the charges. Didn't deny it, didn't apologise, thieving f:censored: ers. Account has now been closed and toying with contacting the Ombudsman. How can they justify representing a cheque when not asked to knowing it will be bounced. :angry:

Unfortunately RBS are the only bank people with my kind of credit rating can get a bank account with.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
How exactly is the data protection act going to sue Lloyds TSB may I ask bhaexpress?

Methinks this a little unlikely.

And Tede, I hate to be the one to bring it to your attention but Nationwide have refused to rule out following suit with First Direct on charging a monthly fee for having a current account.

This on top of their ludicrous turnaround on cheque clearing, I wouldn't be too quick to heap praise on them!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Bluejuice said:
How exactly is the data protection act going to sue Lloyds TSB may I ask bhaexpress?

Methinks this a little unlikely.

And Tede, I hate to be the one to bring it to your attention but Nationwide have refused to rule out following suit with First Direct on charging a monthly fee for having a current account.

This on top of their ludicrous turnaround on cheque clearing, I wouldn't be too quick to heap praise on them!

I had a DPA/Fraud meeting Thursday and they mentioned about firms getting fined for DPA breaches. Lloyds TSB got fined £2.5 million for DPA breaching last year.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
As may be the case, but the DPA cannot sue an organisation.

It is an act of parliament, not a power or body

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
When I was made bankrupt a couple of months ago, both the court officers and the Official Receiver told me to avoid the Halifax and Lloyds TSB for bank accounts as both are too profit minded over banks like Barclays, Nat West and the Nationwide - interesting comments to come from two different sources!

BTW also avoid Kensington Mortgages - they are the guys that took my house from me, made me homeless for three months and heaped over £9,000 of charges in just six months!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here